I developed a new style of martial arts!

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
What is interesting about this thread tho is that my style actually has a technique called Jeet Tek (the stopping kick). It happens to be one of my favorite techniques, simply because it is so natural to me and because it is meant to obstruct and off-set an opponent by using broken rhythm and nontelegraphic legwork. Does anyone else practice this technique? I'm sure someone does. ;)
Yeah probably since all your stuff is just taken from other styles

Mou Meng Gung Fu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yeah probably since all your stuff is just taken from other styles

I took the 'jeet tek' from another style, which in turn took it from another style, so on and so forth. And if you reeeaaally want to get technical, I didn't 'take' anything. That would imply theft or stealing. I learned my stuff from qualified instructors, just like everyone else. I didn't take anything. It was given to me as a gift to help fill my arsenal. ;)

And actually, it wasn't even a gift. I had to pay for it (lol). The fact that I still use it is sort of like an unspoken way of showing respect for a very good teacher.

Last edited:

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just about all of our (American Karate) stuff is taken from other styles. We are such thieves!
Not saying there's anything wrong with that but he asked if any other style did that move so of course they do...the style he learned it from uses it

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What is interesting about this thread tho is that my style actually has a technique called Jeet Tek (the stopping kick). It happens to be one of my favorite techniques, simply because it is so natural to me and because it is meant to obstruct and off-set an opponent by using broken rhythm and nontelegraphic legwork. Does anyone else practice this technique? I'm sure someone does. ;)

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am a turtle you damn racist.
No way...I know turtles...I have turtles who are friends, they spend most all their time in or near the water. Not on the mats in a gym...you may turtle up as a ruse to confuse others...but you sir are a gym tortoise if I've ever seen one.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what that technique is. The name certainly isn't one we use, but most of the names I know are Anglicized translations of Japanese terms.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The side kick to the knee (as I found on YouTube)?
No, not that kind of stopping kick. Actually, almost any kind of side kick. I am more the kind of 'frontal stopping kick'.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No way...I know turtles...I have turtles who are friends, they spend most all their time in or near the water. Not on the mats in a gym...you may turtle up as a ruse to confuse others...but you sir are a gym tortoise if I've ever seen one.

At least I could be considered a wurtle.

Mou Meng Gung Fu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Just to clarify (simply because I'm not sure if we're on the same technique or not), the Cantonese term "jeet tek" (stop kick or intercepting kick) is found in many Gung Fu systems- I think. I borrowed this kick from Jeet Kune Do, being one of the main kicking techniques in that school. Although there are many ways to deliver an "intercepting kick" (or stop kick), JKD-stylists tend to favor their frontleg for delivering low kicks to obstruct the opponent's movement in mid-step or mid-kick before they can even complete their actions. High kicks can be used to intercept the opponent's intentions, but they usually take longer to deliver unless you practice it for a while (I actually performed a high stop-kick tonight when sparring). Generally, JKD-stylists will use a low side-kick or low shuffling side-kick, an inside crescent kick (inverted hook-kick) or low hook-kick (this is usually called a low roundhouse kick in other MMA-styles), a low rearleg push-kick or frontleg push-kick to the opponent's shin or inner leg as soon as they go to step or kick. Their advance opens the door for a quick and disruptive stop-kick. Keeping it low to the opponent's shins and inner legs (or groin), this makes it faster and less telegraphic. It also enables you to close the gap very quickly, as the stop-kick becomes a bridge to the punching and trapping range almost instantaneously.

Latest Discussions