I can't make this stuff up....

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I went to Modell's (sporting goods chain) today.

I went in and the cashier....the very blond cashier....asked if she could help me. I said I needed a new pair of swimming goggles, and asked her if she could direct me to the right part of the store.

She nodded enthusiastically and said

"Sure! They're in the Sporting Goods department!!"

Oh.....gee......thanks for narrowing it down. :banghead:

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, she was technically correct if not very useful. Personally, I prefer the Wal-mart 'point in a random direction and say "If it's not over there, we're out"' approach. The trick to doing it successfully is to not be there when the customer comes back.

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To her credit, she did hand me over to a floor person that was extremely helpful. But it was all I could do to keep from cracking up at her response :lol:

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:hmm:The sporting goods department as opposed to what in Modell's? I'm guessing that's what confused you. :rolleyes:

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Never been in Modell's, but if they're arranged like Dick's Sporting Goods maybe she meant the department that was meant for competitive sports like football, baseball, etc. as opposed to the camping, hunting, golf or shoe departments. But yeah, it's funny when she says it that way.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What do you expect? they make 7.25 an hour and they believe that is great money. I am sorry for being sucha downer but most department stores, fast food places and anything to do with customer service has gone down the toilet for the nost part. Society the place we live but the place that forge our youth as well.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A year ago, when I started in karate, I went to the local Sears and asked the lady working in the sporting goods department where the athletic supporters were. She took to an aisle in housewares where they had beer mugs with NFL teams on them.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Well many moons ago when I worked in a department store I had multiple idiotic encounters here are 3

1) I was standing in the gift department and had a woman walk up to me and ask me where the gift department was&#8230;. My response&#8230;you&#8217;re standing in it.

2) It was incredibly busy (Christmas season) and I was running in and out of the warehouse getting things for customers and there was a woman standing there watching me do this for about 20 minutes. She then asked me &#8220;Do you work here&#8221; to which I said no and walked out the nearest exit into the mall.

3) A man walked up to me and asked me where the exit was&#8230;.. We were standing in one and the other one was highly visible in the other corner of the store&#8230; I asked him which one&#8230; the one 30 feet away with e lit exit sign over it or the one he was standing in.

This should also make it perfectly clear I was never cut out to work in retail

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As a kid I worked two years at a local grocery store. I noticed that 8-9 times out of ten when someone asked where something was, they were standing within 4 feet of it. People search before asking (unless they`re in a hurry) and they know "It should be around here somewhere....."

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What do you expect? they make 7.25 an hour and they believe that is great money. I am sorry for being sucha downer but most department stores, fast food places and anything to do with customer service has gone down the toilet for the nost part. Society the place we live but the place that forge our youth as well.

What do I expect? I expect them to treat their customers as I treated mine when I was working as a stock clerk/cashier making around minimum wage, and as I continue to treat my customers in my current job.

Heck, I treated one of my customers so well she married me! :)

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
What do I expect? I expect them to treat their customers as I treated mine when I was working as a stock clerk/cashier making around minimum wage, and as I continue to treat my customers in my current job.

Heck, I treated one of my customers so well she married me! :)

This. I worked at a Meijers out of high school and when a customer asked for a product we were expected to drop what we were doing and walk them over to it, even if it was clear on the other end of the store. If you think the wage isn't worth doing the job well, have the integrity not to take the job.

And get off my lawn.

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was at Krogers several months ago at a store notorious for understaffing. It was about dinnertime, and they only had two cashier lanes open with lines extending halfway up the aisles.

I went over to the customer service desk and asked the guy very politely "Would you consider opening another lane or two?"

"Well the lines wouldn't be so long if you weren't all up there!" :mst:

Now I go out of my way to shop at the Krogers in the 'burbs. Despite the drive, I can actually get my shopping done faster because of the U-scan and the multiple checkout lanes. And they sell actual food unlike the one in my ghetto.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
2) It was incredibly busy (Christmas season) and I was running in and out of the warehouse getting things for customers and there was a woman standing there watching me do this for about 20 minutes. She then asked me “Do you work here” to which I said no and walked out the nearest exit into the mall.
I do the opposite!!

Sometimes when I am in a store someone for some reason think I work there and ask me for something I then help them rudely and then tell them I am a supervisor it was funny.

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
On the other side, here's a customer-from-hell story:

My mother worked at a jewelry store in a mall. One day a random woman with a little boy poked her nose in the door and asked:

"Would you watch my kid while I go see a movie?"

The clerk stared slacked-jawed for a moment before spitting NO!! If it were me, I'd be tempted to say yes, and then immediately call child welfare services the minute mom was out of earshot. Talk about unfit ... she could at least have dumped the kid off at the toy store where he would have had something to do.

Latest Discussions