I am mad as hell and I am NOT going to take this any more

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I just wanted to share this because of this 1970s speech's prophetic nature being so pertinent today, particularly for me, the line "there is nobody anywhere who seems to know what to do" which does sound depressingly apt I think.

This is the Howard Beale (Peter Finch) monologue rant from the absolutely wonderful film "Network" (1976) I am not certain how famous it is and but I am sure some of you would have heard of it. I just watched this film last night and was moved by it. For the vid below someone has backed the speech with music and I just wanted to share it. This gets me going and but what I feel when I listen, I maybe do not know where to direct it.

[yt]uUuj3BEkoXU[/yt]

The "Mad as Hell" movie clip from the film "Network" itself is as below :)

[yt]QMBZDwf9dok[/yt]

Hope the embedding works *cross fingers*
Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah , the Australian version would be " I am slightly peeved but I'll wait till some other bugger does something about it ".

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Henry Rollins said to use your rage for civic good.

Here is him talking about it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6itaMKk2W_Y&feature=related

Henry Rollins is a unique individual and does have good points. In that video he is speaking to a group of Israelis about their long standing conflict with Palestine. The points can be applied to us and whatever it is that makes us angry.

We've discussed anger here before and know that there is more than one type. Justifiable type anger and unjustifiable.
Rollins should make it clear on the proper way to express that anger. Howard Beale said in a manner of speaking that we should express our anger by venting it out the window... that way at least the ember that Rollins was talking about is fanned and that way we can do something civic without being chaotic.

Good stuff.

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Henry Rollins said to use your rage for civic good.

Yeah , the Australian version would be " I am slightly peeved but I'll wait till some other bugger does something about it ".

Rollins should make it clear on the proper way to express that anger. Howard Beale said in a manner of speaking that we should express our anger by venting it out the window... that way at least the ember that Rollins was talking about is fanned and that way we can do something civic without being chaotic.

After participating in the European elections here and seeing some (to me) unpleasant outcomes, I am lost to know what to do with that kind of anger in any kind of civic framework. Must one become activist? I find it difficult at times like these to have any faith in the power of the individual. Is the only viable vent to Howard Beale's anger (as an individual) at societal issues to form a group in the hope of gaining influence that way?

Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

It's not just Australia.

The US version is I'm mad as hell and going to yell about it... but I'm not actually going to do anything...that's someone else’s job.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
After participating in the European elections here and seeing some (to me) unpleasant outcomes, I am lost to know what to do with that kind of anger in any kind of civic framework. Must one become activist? I find it difficult at times like these to have any faith in the power of the individual. Is the only viable vent to Howard Beale's anger (as an individual) at societal issues to form a group in the hope of gaining influence that way?

Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

I have no clue but if I figure it out I will be sure to let you know.

I to am somewhat disgusted with a whole lot of stuff and no longer see anyway to change a thing.

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have no clue but if I figure it out I will be sure to let you know.

I to am somewhat disgusted with a whole lot of stuff and no longer see anyway to change a thing.
Unfortunately XS, I would have to agree completely with you. As the issues (mentioned in the clip) become increasingly dire, I think we develop callouses, become indurated and numb to it; happily accepting maybe. Oh well, back to the soporific drone of the BBC news :)
Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Unfortunately XS, I would have to agree completely with you. As the issues (mentioned in the clip) become increasingly dire, I think we develop callouses, become indurated and numb to it; happily accepting maybe. Oh well, back to the soporific drone of the BBC news :)
Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

I think part of it is that it is a lot like the song by Billy Joel "We Didn't Start the Fire". If you think about what is actually going on, all at the same time, in the world today (and it is easy to do since the news loves to keep us informed via sensationalism) and what has gone on before, you get over whelmed from information overload you have absolutely no idea where to go, what to do or even how to think about it all.

The proverbial deer in the headlights

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think part of it is that it is a lot like the song by Billy Joel "We Didn't Start the Fire". If you think about what is actually going on, all at the same time, in the world today (and it is easy to do since the news loves to keep us informed via sensationalism) and what has gone on before, you get over whelmed from information overload you have absolutely no idea where to go, what to do or even how to think about it all.

The proverbial deer in the headlights
Yes, exactly, and when a system is overwhelmed it generally shuts off (the deer in the headlights). I think that overload shutoff in us translates to an odd kind of tolerance.

As long as we are not directly affected, we are cushioned from these issues, but since so many of us have become victims or captives of these issues, that tolerance becomes stretched. Then what?

I wonder of the generations present in our nations' formative years, had they been suffering issues, threats and incompetence to the same extent as we do today, would they have been inclined to protest more readily?
Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Yes, exactly, and when a system is overwhelmed it generally shuts off (the deer in the headlights). I think that overload shutoff in us translates to an odd kind of tolerance.

I think it becomes more like denial actually. Deciding that you are safe, everything is fine and far away and as soon as something goes horribly wrong look for someone else to blame. I heard a lot of "We were lied to" comments after 9/11 and as far as I can tell no one ever told me I was safe. I just assumed I was.

As long as we are not directly affected, we are cushioned from these issues, but since so many of us have become victims or captives of these issues, that tolerance becomes stretched. Then what?

Either blame someone else for the problem, learn to accept it, face it and then forget it and return to being tolerant or live in abject terror.

And none of that is what should happen although accepting it is part of recovery you needs to do more to ensure things don't go that way again. But then it gets back to what can you really do. Yelling I am mad as hell is rather cathartic but does it solve the problem if only one does it and yelling is all anyone does?

I wonder of the generations present in our nations' formative years, had they been suffering issues, threats and incompetence to the same extent as we do today, would they have been inclined to protest more readily?
Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

Don't know

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think it becomes more like denial actually. Deciding that you are safe, everything is fine and far away and as soon as something goes horribly wrong look for someone else to blame. I heard a lot of "We were lied to" comments after 9/11 and as far as I can tell no one ever told me I was safe. I just assumed I was.

Either blame someone else for the problem, learn to accept it, face it and then forget it and return to being tolerant or live in abject terror.

And none of that is what should happen although accepting it is part of recovery you needs to do more to ensure things don't go that way again. But then it gets back to what can you really do. Yelling I am mad as hell is rather cathartic but does it solve the problem if only one does it and yelling is all anyone does?
Do you not think that denial is a very conscious decision that assumes that people are actually aware of the situation they are entwined within? Yes, you are right about not being lied to in so many words. Yet, I think we prefer sometimes not to know full facts since full facts are often painful and unbearable (do I want to know someone was stabbed three doors down from me - maybe I can mitigate my horror by imagining the victim as a dope dealer... etc). Yet while we seek to remain as unaware as we can (denial) about society's ills, those who perpetuate those ills can move on unimpeded, thus the ills tend to persist I think. A perfectly neat vicious circle.

And yes, I am surprised that we are not all encouraged in some quasi-Maoist proletariat drill to yell ourselves into catharsis. After all, if we could all be persuaded to drain our angst into harmless yelling then so much the better for those who have engendered the yelling in the first place, right. Unions could help with this (and delude themselves - and us - that they were giving us a voice). Hmmm

Other than that, we might as well proclaim: I am mad as hell and I will suffer it for as long as I am required to.
Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Do you not think that denial is a very conscious decision that assumes that people are actually aware of the situation they are entwined within? Yes, you are right about not being lied to in so many words. Yet, I think we prefer sometimes not to know full facts since full facts are often painful and unbearable (do I want to know someone was stabbed three doors down from me - maybe I can mitigate my horror by imagining the victim as a dope dealer... etc). Yet while we seek to remain as unaware as we can (denial) about society's ills, those who perpetuate those ills can move on unimpeded, thus the ills tend to persist I think. A perfectly neat vicious circle.

And yes, I am surprised that we are not all encouraged in some quasi-Maoist proletariat drill to yell ourselves into catharsis. After all, if we could all be persuaded to drain our angst into harmless yelling then so much the better for those who have engendered the yelling in the first place, right. Unions could help with this (and delude themselves - and us - that they were giving us a voice). Hmmm

Other than that, we might as well proclaim: I am mad as hell and I will suffer it for as long as I am required to.
Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

It very well could be denial based on knowing what the problem is but not wanting to face it. And that is very likely based in fear and therefore it is better to not the whole story which can potentially reduce fear. And like just about everyone else on the planet who is currently suffering from information overload I to have simply decided to not think about things from time to time. It simply makes it easier to get through the day, but I have figured out why I do this (more on that later).

And you are right the more you deny to yourself the reality of what is going on and pretend things are just fine it makes it easier for those that perpetrate these things to continue on, business as usual.

I will admit that I am likely more jaded than the average bear due to my 13 years background in security, much of that in government. And I use to have a rather sarcastic saying to cover many people’s beliefs on the world “Life is pretty, life is good and everything happens just like it should”. But I have figured out that not being in the field any longer and not knowing many of the things I use to know about what is actually going on I am finding more unnerving than knowing. I am better knowing all or a lot than knowing a little. And maybe that to plays a part in this, if you only know a little your imagination has space to run wild and build all sorts of stories up around things and in that case maybe it is better to just leave it alone and try and to deny it exists.

But even with all that I too have considered (more than once) yelling "I am mad as hell and I am NOT going to take this any more" if for nothing else than to release the frustration. Actually based on my work day and the idiotic political games currently going on with those in government much higher than I.... I wouldn't mind doing that right now :asian:

Live True

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I fear there are far too many sheople inhabiting my life these days. They are content to follow, content to be "protected by others" (no matter the cost), and content to play thier videos and avoid any political debate because that's just too much work.

I know that expressing a political opinion among my coworkers will either lead to silence and crickets, resentful stares, tired party-line quotes, or the rare and welcome...good and interesting conversations,. Usually, alas, the first trio. For some reason, there is the belief that expressing an opinion, researching the facts behind it, and being willing to debate in an open and constructive way is seen as...too much work, too embarrassing, or simply odd. Sigh!

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It very well could be denial based on knowing what the problem is but not wanting to face it. And that is very likely based in fear and therefore it is better to not the whole story which can potentially reduce fear. And like just about everyone else on the planet who is currently suffering from information overload I to have simply decided to not think about things from time to time. It simply makes it easier to get through the day, but I have figured out why I do this (more on that later).

And you are right the more you deny to yourself the reality of what is going on and pretend things are just fine it makes it easier for those that perpetrate these things to continue on, business as usual.

I will admit that I am likely more jaded than the average bear due to my 13 years background in security, much of that in government. And I use to have a rather sarcastic saying to cover many people’s beliefs on the world “Life is pretty, life is good and everything happens just like it should”. But I have figured out that not being in the field any longer and not knowing many of the things I use to know about what is actually going on I am finding more unnerving than knowing. I am better knowing all or a lot than knowing a little. And maybe that to plays a part in this, if you only know a little your imagination has space to run wild and build all sorts of stories up around things and in that case maybe it is better to just leave it alone and try and to deny it exists.

I imagine your inquisitiveness around governmental workings would not be an approach that would have been encouraged or rewarded? And that reminds me of something you mentioned at the beginning - I also think that news broadcast in its most morally degraded and scandal-lusting forms does go some way to lessen our desire to be more inquiring into almost every reported issue (I mean beyond looking on Wikipedia). I wonder if we are warned often enough how bad things might be under the rock, is there a chance we stop lifting? You would know better from your previous experience maybe.

And but yes, our elected representatives are charged with making decisions on our behalf, yet even a genuinely concerned representative with true integrity can never take a decision that would benefit all sections of the electorate at all times. My perception is that few actually do possess any moral beyond that which satisfies their own self-serving aims. If decisions are taken that are not for the broad benefit of the electorate, then I guess we are better ignorant. A populus apprised of the reality would I guess be somewhat more difficult to control.

But even with all that I too have considered (more than once) yelling "I am mad as hell and I am NOT going to take this any more" if for nothing else than to release the frustration. Actually based on my work day and the idiotic political games currently going on with those in government much higher than I.... I wouldn't mind doing that right now

And nope, I think XS, you cannot even vent your frustration without being lambasted and drawn over coals yourself. Wages I think enslave us to a far greater extent than merely the necessity to make mortgage payments. In my experience, the companies who profess the most ostentatious "open door" policies, are often the most autocratic and unswaying in reality. I think sometimes we can be deluded into thinking we have a voice when actually we do not. To my addled mind, electoral selection is one of those times.

I fear there are far too many sheople inhabiting my life these days. They are content to follow, content to be "protected by others" (no matter the cost), and content to play thier videos and avoid any political debate because that's just too much work.
I wonder though is it really that debate is too much work? Is it even apathy? Or is it simple logic? If someone believes that radical high-level policy changes are requisite to their own happiness and they perceive the change in all reality as being nigh impossible, I wonder might even the debate itself seem futile to that person? Sheep and easy lives, yes, maybe, I could not argue at all. And but I think we can all be sheep at times.

On the bright side, you might happen to belong to our controlling minority. In that case, apathy amongst the peasants as they trundle through the day and daily, does make for a wonderfully untroubled existence :).
I know that expressing a political opinion among my coworkers will either lead to silence and crickets, resentful stares, tired party-line quotes, or the rare and welcome...good and interesting conversations,. Usually, alas, the first trio. For some reason, there is the belief that expressing an opinion, researching the facts behind it, and being willing to debate in an open and constructive way is seen as...too much work, too embarrassing, or simply odd. Sigh!
Ah Shana you are an upstart I see! :) You cannot be encouraging political discussions in work. It unsettles. It is bad for productivity. Did you not read the memo? :) Seriously though, if debating is unacceptable, and venting serves no external purpose, what do you yourself do with your dissatisfaction?

Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I imagine your inquisitiveness around governmental workings would not be an approach that would have been encouraged or rewarded? And that reminds me of something you mentioned at the beginning - I also think that news broadcast in its most morally degraded and scandal-lusting forms does go some way to lessen our desire to be more inquiring into almost every reported issue (I mean beyond looking on Wikipedia). I wonder if we are warned often enough how bad things might be under the rock, is there a chance we stop lifting? You would know better from your previous experience maybe.

It was not inquisitiveness, it was my job, and it was still information overload just it was enough information to actually be able to make an educated judgment instead of a little information and leaving the rest to imagination which tends to blow things out of proportion and has tendencies towards inaccuracy

This is a bit of an over simplification but it is kind of like the difference between someone telling you the answer is 9 and asking you for the absolute correct equation, instead of telling you it is X + 5 = 9 and asking for the correct number for X.

EDIT:

I should add one more thing about those days and that job. I also use to say all this job has done is given me the right to go places I don’t want to go and know things I don’t want to know.

In retrospect I was apparently wrong about the last bit :D

And nope, I think XS, you cannot even vent your frustration without being lambasted and drawn over coals yourself. Wages I think enslave us to a far greater extent than merely the necessity to make mortgage payments. In my experience, the companies who profess the most ostentatious "open door" policies, are often the most autocratic and unswaying in reality. I think sometimes we can be deluded into thinking we have a voice when actually we do not. To my addled mind, electoral selection is one of those times.

Oh I have no delusions I do not truly believe it would help much if at all, I have however considered it when stress levels get high enough for me to consider chocking the living daylights out of someone. However I generally revert to my Qigong training and calm myself down. But yelling might be a release as well. Also I realized a very long time ago, back in my days in security for the wonderful state government I work for. My voice or anyone else’s means little. That statement will not go over well with many but I was privy to a lot of decisions that really came down to no matter what they all say we will tell them what they really said and do what we want anyway.

Last edited:

Live True

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I wonder though is it really that debate is too much work? Is it even apathy? Or is it simple logic? If someone believes that radical high-level policy changes are requisite to their own happiness and they perceive the change in all reality as being nigh impossible, I wonder might even the debate itself seem futile to that person? Sheep and easy lives, yes, maybe, I could not argue at all. And but I think we can all be sheep at times.

On the bright side, you might happen to belong to our controlling minority. In that case, apathy amongst the peasants as they trundle through the day and daily, does make for a wonderfully untroubled existence :).

Ah Shana you are an upstart I see! :) You cannot be encouraging political discussions in work. It unsettles. It is bad for productivity. Did you not read the memo? :) Seriously though, if debating is unacceptable, and venting serves no external purpose, what do you yourself do with your dissatisfaction?
Ah Jenna, I love your mind and it's impish sense of debate!

:rolleyes:..got the memo...and filed it in the circular filing cabinet. I am not a raving upstart, but I do like intelligent conversation, because I learn things from it....that said, I've learned to not expect a deep dive conversation, but to appreciate it when it happens. I am used to being considered a little odd and unique. The upside of this is that folks come to me for all sorts of interesting questions and thoughts..heh. The other upside is that I don't have to WORK so hard to please everyone else but myself. That seems a losing propsition to me that only leads to frustration, self-recriminations, and personal insecurity (and a bit of schizophrenia).

And before I go any further, I am NOT perfect and have my own sheepish moments. I just prefer to not have that as my default mode of operation.

As for your questions on why debate and particulary why vent/debate when so few are willing to participate or it may seem futile..well...I have some thoughts for that. One, is probably a bit idealistic...but thats'okay, and the others are just personal preference.

First, I don't subscribe to black or white mentality. You mention "radical high-level policy changes are requisite to their own happiness and they perceive the change in all reality as being nigh impossible". Harrumph! Very few things are changed overnight or radically. Most people and systems are resistant to change because it's a)painful b)uncomfortable c)unknown d)expensive....yadda yadda yadda....BUT! Given good cause, many people will be willing to make small incremental changes or changes within thier power/ability/budget. For example, climate change and switching from a gas powered economy to a sustainable one is vast and overwhelming to most...so they turn to denial or apathy. But...I subscribe to the philsophy that has been taken up by this group, WeAddup, "No one can do everything. Everyone can do something". And some of those things are fun (showered with a freind lately? :boing2:) But how do you know about reasonable, easy changes like CFLs, or CSAs etc. unless you talk to folks about it?

Second, I believe it's a responsibility to be informed. Freedom is not just a right, it's a responsiblity. I deplore the state of the electorate in the States, as well, but I beleive it's my right and responsibility to vote (and if I don't, then I don't have the right to b!+&# about things...:lfao:).

Third, it expands my mind to discuss interesting topics with interesting folks...which is why we are here, riight?

Fourth, if I get things off my chest occasionally...then I wont have to hold all that frustration in..which is good for my health.

Finally, maybe, by expressing my opinions publically (at least on occassion)..someone who agrees or might consider it...will be given food for thought...

So...I really do it for me, and to keep the lines of communication open.
Sometimes, simply speaking my own truth, is enough.

Live True

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Also I realized a very long time ago, back in my days in security for the wonderful state government I work for. My voice or anyone else’s means little. That statement will not go over well with many but I was privy to a lot of decisions that really came down to no matter what they all say we will tell them what they really said and do what we want anyway.

SIGH...I know this is true. No matter how idealistic I choose to be, I do actually have my feet planted in the real world. Folks in power will do what they are allowed to do, as long as they are allowed to do it. Most of the time, folks will not question it, until it goes to far or hurts one of their own personal pet beliefs/peeves/what have you.

I just don't believe that should stop me from doing what I feel is right. Again, I speak my mind and do what I think is right, becuase I believe it. If it affects others or the larger picture, then I hope that is a good thing.

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is a bit of an over simplification but it is kind of like the difference between someone telling you the answer is 9 and asking you for the absolute correct equation, instead of telling you it is X + 5 = 9 and asking for the correct number for X.
That is a good analogy. I like that. And but the worrying notion for me is knowing what to do when faced with the solvable equation X+5=9 on the one page and seeing on the answers page, the solution advising: X=3 if we know what is good for us.

Oh I have no delusions I do not truly believe it would help much if at all, I have however considered it when stress levels get high enough for me to consider chocking the living daylights out of someone. However I generally revert to my Qigong training and calm myself down. But yelling might be a release as well. Also I realized a very long time ago, back in my days in security for the wonderful state government I work for. My voice or anyone else’s means little. That statement will not go over well with many but I was privy to a lot of decisions that really came down to no matter what they all say we will tell them what they really said and do what we want anyway.
And I appreciate Qigong training would take a long time to master. Personally I would not have the patience to hold in my frustration while learning such adeptness. As well as that, would you never worry that using qigong techniques when you are fraught is akin to repressing? Psychology 101 warns against that I think, no? Yet, even at that, I do not think any individuals have sufficient voice to cause that yell to bring about radical external change. Internal catharsis, yes, revolution no – with two exceptions: 1. you are profusely bankrolled and/or 2. you can generate a significant enough threat of violence or social disruption. Either of these grant you an audience and give you a carte blanche. Notwithstanding that, as plebeians, hmm, I still do not know how to gain a voice really.

Thank you again, XS :)

Ah Jenna, I love your mind and it's impish sense of debate!

:rolleyes:..got the memo...and filed it in the circular filing cabinet. I am not a raving upstart, but I do like intelligent conversation, because I learn things from it....that said, I've learned to not expect a deep dive conversation, but to appreciate it when it happens. I am used to being considered a little odd and unique. The upside of this is that folks come to me for all sorts of interesting questions and thoughts..heh. The other upside is that I don't have to WORK so hard to please everyone else but myself. That seems a losing propsition to me that only leads to frustration, self-recriminations, and personal insecurity (and a bit of schizophrenia).

And before I go any further, I am NOT perfect and have my own sheepish moments. I just prefer to not have that as my default mode of operation.
Ha! well if my impish sense of debate has given you opportunity to present your views then nothing would make me happier to know :) Actually I think being a raving upstart is something we should encourage ourselves to do at least sometimes if not always. I do think most of us repress frustration too deeply – it has become an automatic self-preservation technique especially with societal issues I think. Under my proposed, um, regime change, every one of us would have an appointed day to be “the raving upstart” and everyone else would be encouraged to bring about their own little changes in accordance, and which, who knows, might cumulatively amount to something. Oh, hang on, that sounds a little too much like AA. Ah, but see, that is the thing, do we not some of us find it difficult to even acknowledge that we have a problem with repressing our frustration? We tell ourselves that everything is good; we are not really too concerned when another mine detonates under a vehicle; when another failed CEO is superannuated into financial heaven; when another village is effaced from the map; when another species becomes extinct etc etc. Yes, I think I will advocate the raving upstart day for each of us :) I must mention that in work tomorrow

As for your questions on why debate and particulary why vent/debate when so few are willing to participate or it may seem futile..well...I have some thoughts for that. One, is probably a bit idealistic...but thats'okay, and the others are just personal preference.

First, I don't subscribe to black or white mentality. You mention "radical high-level policy changes are requisite to their own happiness and they perceive the change in all reality as being nigh impossible". Harrumph! Very few things are changed overnight or radically. Most people and systems are resistant to change because it's a)painful b)uncomfortable c)unknown d)expensive....yadda yadda yadda....BUT! Given good cause, many people will be willing to make small incremental changes or changes within thier power/ability/budget. For example, climate change and switching from a gas powered economy to a sustainable one is vast and overwhelming to most...so they turn to denial or apathy. But...I subscribe to the philsophy that has been taken up by this group, WeAddup, "No one can do everything. Everyone can do something". And some of those things are fun (showered with a freind lately? :boing2:) But how do you know about reasonable, easy changes like CFLs, or CSAs etc. unless you talk to folks about it?
I completely agree that radical change is unfeasible. Nonetheless, that does not preclude the need for it in some cases. Small changes are what we (as beings of fragile routine) can handle as you outlined in the above steps and measures and but I imagine small changes like uprooting weeds in your yard. If the weeds are few, a little deftness will fix it. But while you are weeding in one corner, other unwelcomes are sprouting in other corners. If you weed too slowly then the garden becomes overgrown, it may need excavated if the lawn is to be made good. Showering with a friend otoh, is an ecological given :D

And but yes I like the ethic of "No one can do everything. Everyone can do something". I think, though simple, that is not always easy to apprehend. Personally I seem to fall fatalistic “Nobody can do everything; I can do nothing.” Which stems from my try-and-fail experience I think :(

Second, I believe it's a responsibility to be informed. Freedom is not just a right, it's a responsiblity. I deplore the state of the electorate in the States, as well, but I beleive it's my right and responsibility to vote (and if I don't, then I don't have the right to b!+&# about things...:lfao:).
I agree again. It is incumbent upon each of us to equip ourselves with full facts. No decision based upon incomplete data can ever be an optimum decision. A few things though if that is ok? We can never acquire ALL information. Sometimes we physically cannot come by the facts. Sometimes, our prejudice flavours or taints facts, leaving us with half-truths. And sometimes the “facts” we do acquire are merely other people’s rhetoric and propaganda. Depending upon our demographic and/or geographic location, that might be all we have access to. Sometimes also, as Xue says, we may have an internal debate as to whether we actually WANT the facts. In that case I know I personally coerce myself content with the soporifics of our national news broadcasts. I trust them – not as opposed to NOT trusting them, but as opposed to cross-referencing Al Jazeera news perhaps to tease and extract actual truth from two disparates.

Third, it expands my mind to discuss interesting topics with interesting folks...which is why we are here, riight?

Fourth, if I get things off my chest occasionally...then I wont have to hold all that frustration in..which is good for my health.

Finally, maybe, by expressing my opinions publically (at least on occassion)..someone who agrees or might consider it...will be given food for thought...

So...I really do it for me, and to keep the lines of communication open.
Sometimes, simply speaking my own truth, is enough.
I like that a lot :) And thank you again, Shana :)

Latest Discussions