Hung Kuan Questions...

wanderingstudent

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
A couple of questions for discussion...

1. Anyone else wonder why there isn't at least 1 crane subset? Has anyone incorporated one into their studies?

2. There is a connection between Fu-Jow-Pai and Hung Gar, the basic statement is "..learn Hung Gar, before Fu-Jow training begins...". Is it the entire system? I am beginning to think it is only Fu Hok.

3. Thoughts about this video:

4. Anybody else meditate why/how sets get shortened? How their lineage has evolved?

WS

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't know of a pure Crane set for Hung Gar, but it is common to have forms that combine Tiger and Crane elements together:

Knapf

Green Belt
Reaction score

1. Anyone else wonder why there isn't at least 1 crane subset? Has anyone incorporated one into their studies?
There is a version in south east asia that has a crane set on it's own. It is one of the 5 separate animal sets.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

**DISCLAIMER** I'm not a Hung Kuen student. However, I've been around TCMA for 20+ years & know many Hung Kuen sifu. My sigung was a Hung Kuen stylist early on.

There is in the village HaSayFu line and also in other smaller & "primordial" village Hung Kuen styles that aren't "Wong Fei Hung" (inclusive of long bridging & striking).

2. There is a connection between Fu-Jow-Pai and Hung Gar, the basic statement is "..learn Hung Gar, before Fu-Jow training begins...". Is it the entire system? I am beginning to think it is only Fu Hok.

According to some things I read, FJP is based on Hung Kuen.

3. Thoughts about this video:

Not really. Nice show play.

4. Anybody else meditate why/how sets get shortened? How their lineage has evolved?

WS

When you have a handful of sets that count over 150+ steps, short seems like a good idea if you can extract what the form is teaching & not compromise the intent and integrity.

VPT

Green Belt
Reaction score
Here's the Ha Sei Fu crane form. The music kinda distracts from the natural rhythm of the performance:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here's the Ha Sei Fu crane form. The music kinda distracts from the natural rhythm of the performance:

Wow, I have never seen anything even remotely like it. Other than an exercise in balance, what do you know about the intentions behind it? What skills is it drilling?

I don't particularly like it, but that's just me. If it has worth, that's not really for me to judge.

VPT

Green Belt
Reaction score
My guess is as good as anyone else's since I don't do Hung Kyun. Judging by the other Upper Five Animals of Ha Sei Fu Hung Kyun, they all seem to be focused on developing certain specific body movement and structure. This might be the advanced of the advanced. Their dragon form is awesome, btw.

I know that some lineages of Bak Mei do sections of their Mang Fu Chut Lam form while standing on one leg instead of stepping. This might be to not only develop balance, but also to develop hip joint-lower abdomen structure; the "kua", you know. Maybe there's something like that going on here as well.

VPT

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've been following this Taiwanese university martial arts club lately, who train a hybrid of Northern longfist and Hung Kyun. They have tons of excellent stuff on their channel, so it takes time to find all the gems. I just came across this Crane form from their Hung Kyun:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've been following this Taiwanese university martial arts club lately, who train a hybrid of Northern longfist and Hung Kyun. They have tons of excellent stuff on their channel, so it takes time to find all the gems. I just came across this Crane form from their Hung Kyun:

Interesting stuff. Do you know the source of the material? Is this from a branch of the Fujian line of crane systems, or their own development of crane material?

It looks and flows differently from any Fujian or Hung Ga material I have seen, but I've mostly only seen things on the internet and have certainly not seen anywhere near the full material.

I know that the Tibetan crane had an influence on the Wong Fei-hung lineage of Hung Ga, but that is the system I train and this is nothing like our material.

VPT

Green Belt
Reaction score
The expression is definitely Hung Kyun, so I take it being from there. I think this one is just one of their five animals, since they have a video of a snake form as well.

It seems they don't have a full performance of their Gung Ji Fuk Fu form. That would be most useful to compare with other lineages.