Hubard?

S

Shoto Tiger

I heard some one mention hubard drills recently...not sure if this is the correctly spelling?

I have a picture in my mind of flow drills?

Is it Escrima or Modern Arnis?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We don't usually do it in Modern Arnis but I have done it in JKD. Basically a four count drill.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We do it in FCS as well, and I think quite a few FMA systems utilize the drill. I also recall seeing an American Kenpo Web site that gave instruction on the drill.

In an odd coincidence, we happened to do a bit of work with it tonight, mainly helping me to break out of the drill. Very fun. A little painful. Extremely valuable. :)

Cthulhu

OP
R

redfive

You can find the hubud or hubad as my instructor spells it. In almost all filipino systems in one way or another. He says that it meens naked, or the removal of the shirt, which when done as the empty hand drill it, does mimic the movements. Remy tought it in a knife defence set once at a camp. My instructor tought it as trapping hands and then would translate it to solo baston,doble baston,knive, and espada y daga. Its a great technuque, then you add in all the inserts and counters, wow look out. Guro Inosanto also tought a version of it, and I'v trained with Doce Pares that Also teach it in a trapping hands and knife version. All the same four counts are used, but diferent systems, diferent names.

Redfive

OP
S

seekeroftruth

Higot Hubad Lubad...
In some dialects it does mean naked from the waist up. In other dialects, it means to tie, untie, and exchange. From my limited knowledge of FMA, I have found that so far Hubad is the basis for most of what I have learned. Conceptually, Double Sinawalli is even a form of Hubad. If I was just starting out in FMA, Hubad would be the first thing I wanted to learn. Beware though, don't get so stuck in the drill that you miss out on all the Combative aspects of FMA. Just my two cents.
Seeker of Truth

OP
S

Shoto Tiger

Originally posted by Cthulhu

We do it in FCS as well, and I think quite a few FMA systems utilize the drill. Cthulhu

Sorry...I don't recognise FCS?

What does this stand for?

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Shoto Tiger

Sorry...I don't recognise FCS?

What does this stand for?

Filipino Combat Systems, an organization founded by Guro Ray Dionaldo. You can find more information about FCS and Guro Dionaldo at:

FCS Kali

Cthulhu

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Shoto Tiger

I heard some one mention hubard drills recently

This is the drill that we all take turns hitting Kaith with a stick!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by seekeroftruth

Higot Hubad Lubad...
In some dialects it does mean naked from the waist up. In other dialects, it means to tie, untie, and exchange.

Somebody told me Dan Inosanto was doing a seminar and there were a group of Filipinos attending, Dan said, "the next drill we are doing is Hubad". And the Filipinos took off there shirts. Don't know if its true or not, but I thought it was funny.

Beware though, don't get so stuck in the drill that you miss out on all the Combative aspects of FMA. Just my two cents.
Seeker of Truth

This is a good point not only in Hubad, but also for any drill in any art. At first you strive the learn the drill so you can do it well and keep up. This is when your are trying to keep up while more advanced students are taking shots outside the drill while keeping the flow (right Cthulhu).
After you put in enough time you start seeing things and break out of the pattern. Too many people are "drill masters" and stay in the first phase. All drills are meant to be broken. We learn how to do it so we can find ways to "cheat". In the more advanced levels it becomes the glue or structure in controlled sparring.

Latest Discussions