How to use a Kukri...

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, they have a reputation, and incidents like that are how they got it and keep it.

Thanks for the link.

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, they have a reputation, and incidents like that are how they got it and keep it.
Thanks for the link.

They are great people to work with too, they are just all very bad drivers! My shift partner Tej, ex Gurkha, used to grin and say it's because they are used to the mountain roads.

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well no. Why would I ever be one? Im an American not a Nepallian.

Nepalese. My point is that buying kukris doesn't make you into a warrior, it just makes you a fanboy. Don't you have good American knives you can buy?

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nepalese. My point is that buying kukris doesn't make you into a warrior, it just makes you a fanboy. Don't you have good American knives you can buy?

Weapons don't make the warrior, training does. And yes I do have excellent American knives, as a matter of fact I've got this.

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gurkhas don't train, they are born that way.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well here is another video about the Kukri and about some of the stuff Gurkhas do.

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plenty of stuff in the video to keep the mystique going lol but really he's not got a lot of idea. I watch the Gurkhas training, I know what they do, I worked with many Gurkhas. they find it this sort of stuff very amusing, after all it doesn't do their reputation any harm.
It's is not a kukri 'knife', it's a kukri, it's like saying knife knife. There are different sizes as they are used as working tools, for everything from cooking to cutting trees. The actions he was doing are also non Gurkha.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
The actions he was doing are also non Gurkha.

So he might've made modifications on the techniques, but what concerns me is not whether a technique is modified or if its the genuine traditional way of doing it, but rather if its effective.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps this will give you a better idea of how they really train and use them:

If it doesn't start at it -- the kukri portion I looked at starts at about 08:40

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At the moment the Gurkha companies here are pre-occupied with the earthquake in Nepal, over a thousand people have been killed with likely more figures to come, so our thoughts and prayers are with them and their families. We are also fundraising. :(

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At 9.06 I'm in the crowd watching lol! Helles Barracks (named from the Gallipoli campaign, in the news now as it was 100 years ago) was on my 'beat'. The Para recruits are also there, where they do the infamous P Company. The Guards Companies also train there. Later on there are the pictures of the TKD, they all do as recruits, few though carry it on after training. They also learn to swim here, my shift partner says that they don't swim in Nepal because if you fall into the rivers which are so cold coming straight from the mountains and flow very fast swimming just makes it worse plus there are giant fish that will eat you. I thought he was pulling our legs but it seems not after we watched a fishing programme about a chap who goes around the world catching giant fish.
All Gurkha recruits know how to use a kukri because as I said it's the everyday tool in Nepal for everything, the townspeople may not use the big ones for killing animals but they certainly use the smaller ones.
Helles Barracks is attached to Vimy Barracks ( named after First World War battle where so many Canadians lost their lives) by a tunnel, that's where the rest of the British Infantry train, they still do bayonet training.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It's a large bladed weapon. There is no need for specific training to make it effective. That doesn't mean demonstrating the weapon in a non-traditional way is appropriate, nor shows "mastery" of the weapon. More like you don't know how to use it.

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a large bladed weapon. There is no need for specific training to make it effective. That doesn't mean demonstrating the weapon in a non-traditional way is appropriate, nor shows "mastery" of the weapon. More like you don't know how to use it.

Actually they come in difference sizes, from small to quite large, used for everything from an every day tool for cooking to clearing forests. There are also small one's for women's use and very large ones for despatching animals. Soldiers have two kukris, one ceremonial and one for every day, they come with two small knives, one for sharpening and one for skinning. If you want military style kukris I can recommend these people. Kukri blades - Tora Blades - Powered by CubeCart

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A women's kukri

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member