How To REALLY Spoil Your Teenager

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Home of the Year Awards 2009
100-inch Screen Gets Mounted Flush in the Ceiling

July 23, 2009 | by Lisa Montgomery
Full story here : http://www.electronichouse.com/article/100_inch_screen_gets_mounted_flush_in_the_ceiling/
Patti Deni wanted to surprise her teenage son by giving him his own big-screen TV, so while their new home was being built, she contacted Williamsville, NY–based Stereo Advantage with an idea: Instead of mounting the set to the wall, like everyone else does, she suggested having the TV laid flush across the ceiling.
“It was definitely a first for us,” says systems designer Kevin Bohner.
A 98-inch StarGlas60 display from Stewart Filmscreen was chosen for the unusual project.
171_Bedroom2-opener300.jpg

A kid had better get straight A's and do all his chores and then some before I even THINK about doing something like this for mine... (provided I win a state lottery and get married and HAVE a kid :rolleyes: ) sheesh!
171_Bedroom1-web.jpg

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Gee is it any wonder why kids are so fat these days? Maybe she should have spent the monsy and enrolled him in a sport or a MA? Or maybe even buy him a really good bike?

bekkilyn

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ugh, I would very quickly learn to hate that ceiling mount. Why would anyone (barring a disability) want a TV mounted up there? Plus, what if it fell off the ceiling while you slept?

Also, it looks like it's mounted upside down, or does the guy sleep with his head at the foot of the bed?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the cost of that TV and the custom mount... she could have bought him an absolutely GREAT bike. Mountain or road... or a good one of each! With helmets, etc., I'm sure.

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Remember when parents tried to show their love with hugs instead of things?
Thanks for that... it was the gist of my subject title.
I agree also with the assessment that a good bike or a series of MA classes or ANYTHING that gets the kid outdoors and into a fat burning regime would be preferable than this. Now maybe the kid is all that. Maybe they are outdoorsy type and has a dirt-bike and a snowboard and all other types of outdoor related "toys".
I knew of a family that were once very poor and married into a reasonably wealthy lifestyle and the two teens (17 and 19 yr. olds) were into all kinds of stuff that kept them fit and strong, i.e. snowboarding, rock & ice climbing, caving (which is how I knew them) :D, skydiving, scuba diving and so on, yet at the time they had the biggest TV (at the time) that you could fit into their room, all the latest game consoles and DVD movies and whatnot for indoor entertainment.
Still a ceiling mounted TV and at 100 inches is a bit too much IMO.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Why do I have the feeling that this is a horrible case of divorced-parent-oneupmanship?

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
She gave that to a teenage boy? Is she aware that the only thing he's going to watch on it is pr0n?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
She gave that to a teenage boy? Is she aware that the only thing he's going to watch on it is pr0n?

Shhh....shhhh....shhhh....he's in to "video editing". Not pr0n.

Big screen TV, in the ceiling, over a bed....yeah I think she knows EXACTLY what he's going to watch on it. ;)

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not pron - "video editing" :D

Patty says that viewing and editing his own videos is probably her son’s favorite big-screen application...

Latest Discussions