Master Black Belt
Reaction score
OP
S

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
The 80s ... when you had to be someone REALLY special to get your very own PC right on your desk. (now you have to be someone really special NOT to)

I still remember the first computer my dad bought. It was a Commodore 64 (made in 1988). I think it had a 8088 processor. Here are the specs:

NO hard drive (had to boot it from floppy disk!)
NO RAM
Two 5.25" floppy drives
NO 1.44" floppy drive (I don't think they were out yet!)
Monitor was a green screen (no color!)
Don't remember the DOS version
Wordperfect 4.0 (I swiped a copy of Wordperfect 5.1 from school, but it wouldn't work on this PC!)

My first electronic organizer (some Casio thingy with 128 kilobytes of memory, which I bought in 1996) was more advanced than this computer!

Did I mention that my dad used this Commodore til 1998-99? My brothers and I badgered him for years about getting a *real* PC, but he reasoned that since it was good enough for spreadsheets, why did he need a new computer? He finally broke down and bought a Pentium III in mid-1999.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Swordlady said:
I still remember the first computer my dad bought. It was a Commodore 64 (made in 1988). I think it had a 8088 processor. Here are the specs:

NO hard drive (had to boot it from floppy disk!)
NO RAM
Two 5.25" floppy drives
NO 1.44" floppy drive (I don't think they were out yet!)
Monitor was a green screen (no color!)
Don't remember the DOS version
Wordperfect 4.0 (I swiped a copy of Wordperfect 5.1 from school, but it wouldn't work on this PC!)

My first electronic organizer (some Casio thingy with 128 kilobytes of memory, which I bought in 1996) was more advanced than this computer!

Did I mention that my dad used this Commodore til 1998-99? My brothers and I badgered him for years about getting a *real* PC, but he reasoned that since it was good enough for spreadsheets, why did he need a new computer? He finally broke down and bought a Pentium III in mid-1999.

Dad bought a Commodore 64 almost as soon as they came out - same specs but we did have a tape drive and a cartridge slot in the keyboard for games. I remember playing Jumpman on that thing for hours - loaded from a 5 1/4" floppy and you had to leave the thing in during the whole game. That and Pacman!

I bought my dad (worked in the computer industry all his post WWII professional life) our first decent PC - a Compaq. Don't remember the specs on it. It was his last Father's Day present in 1986. Paid $3600 cash for it; made him cry.

Omigosh! Pacman! I can't believe we haven't said Pacman! and Ms. Pacman! Asteroids! Space Invaders!!

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
Applesoft Basic
Yikes! That brings back memories. I started programming on an Apple IIe. Ooops, no wait, it was the Commadore Vic 20 with the 3K memory expansion card that is was bigger than the old Atari video game cartridges. I later got a TAPE drive from a friend and I started programming with that.

shesulsa said:
Dos (there was no # after it)
I just recently threw out a bunch of old DOS books I had stored in boxes. There were many flavors of DOS, too. There was MS-DOS, IBM DOS (PCDOS I believe), and a couple more I cannot remember the names of.

shesulsa said:
Lotus 123 v1r1
MultiMate
Eeewwww! I wanted to forget those apps!

shesulsa said:
The Trash-80 Model III was the first DOS-Like computer I started programming on in High School. Not long after HS I bought a Tandy 1000ex that had a 5.25" floppy drive, and the old green monocrhome monitor. I wrote applications in BASIC for DOS.

shesulsa said:
Pre-windows Microsoft Word
I remember Word and Word Perfect for DOS. I remember running them from floppy disks. Oh the horror! :(

Thankfully programming isn't so tedious nowadays and much more managable.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
Omigosh! Pacman! I can't believe we haven't said Pacman! and Ms. Pacman! Asteroids! Space Invaders!!
Frogger
Galaga (sp?)
Centipede
Defender
Donkey-Kong

Funny you mention that, I get a kick out of it when my son talks about those games, he has Pac-man for the Nintendo, but it is New, but it does come with what he calls "The Classic Pac-man". So now all those games have been relagated to classics. HAHAHAHAHA Everytime he says that, I just laugh.

Oh oh, I nearly forgot... The Solid Gold Dancers! :rofl:

OP
S

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
mantis said:
oh i definitely do think so...
i read somewhere long ago that the creator of these 2 characters had in his mind that they were gay.
http://www.who2.com/bertandernie.html

Um...Ernie and Bert were supposed to be five years old. What kind of sicko would make two 5-year-olds a gay couple?

Anywho...this is supposed to be a *fun* thread. Maybe we can take the debate of Ernie and Bert to the Study or something. ;)

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Swordlady said:
Um...Ernie and Bert were supposed to be five years old. What kind of sicko would make two 5-year-olds a gay couple?
I thought Bert had a job? How was he a 5 yr old then? Just curious...maybe I'm wrong. That was so long ago.

OP
S

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
Frogger
Galaga (sp?)
Centipede
Defender
Donkey-Kong

Don't forget:

Tempest
Star Wars (still my all-time favorite)
Joust
Stargate (sequel to Defender)
Millipede (sequel to Centipede)

Bigshadow said:
Funny you mention that, I get a kick out of it when my son talks about those games, he has Pac-man for the Nintendo, but it is New, but it does come with what he calls "The Classic Pac-man". So now all those games have been relagated to classics. HAHAHAHAHA Everytime he says that, I just laugh.

Classic Pac-Man? LOL! What does the "new improved updated" Pac-Man look like?

I don't care how fancy the graphics are in today's games. You simply can't beat the classics. Pac-Man and his friends will continue to live on - long after the latest incarnation of Super-Tomb-Raider-Tekken-Warcraft-Halo-Fighter.

Bigshadow said:

How about...STAR SEARCH! :D

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
Bigshadow said:
Frogger
Galaga (sp?)
Centipede
Defender
Donkey-Kong

I remember a couple of years ago when I was listening to a classic station, a lot of 80'2 stuff came on. I was mad! 70's is the classic rock (it used to be at least). 80's is not classic! I'm not old !!!

Solid Gold! Yes! The 80's facination with the 50's. So, I have to ask Dionne or Marilynn?

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hand Sword said:
Star search, where the losers went on to have platinum careers, and the winners...flipped burgers! -- LOL!

Yes it was considered the Star Search curse. If you won you really lost. ;)

MartialIntent

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hand Sword said:
I remember a couple of years ago when I was listening to a classic station, a lot of 80'2 stuff came on. I was mad! 70's is the classic rock (it used to be at least). 80's is not classic! I'm not old !!!
I refuse to watch Lethal Weapon on TCM [Turner Classic Movies]. That's just a recent movie gddmn-it!!

80s NOT DEAD! Hehe.

Respects!

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hand Sword said:
Just like the lyric in the recent song 1985, sometimes I wonder, "When did Motley Crue become classic rock?" :idunno:

hemi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If the music I grew up with is now Classic rock does that mean I am, Oh God Middle aged. Well I will not grow old gracefully I will use all the Keno I know to keep it at bay.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kreth said:
Just like the lyric in the recent song 1985, sometimes I wonder, "When did Motley Crue become classic rock?" :idunno:
Yeah really! It isn't what I call Classic rock. What about all the other hair bands? Along with Motley Crue, Ratt was one of my favorites, and of course the much older Kiss, I liked their 80s comeback.

OP
S

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kreth said:

LOL! "1985" is one of the few recent songs I like, because I can relate to most everything in the lyrics.

Whatever happened to sitcoms, gameshows...

Latest Discussions