How to know you're a child of the 80's

Jonathan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
How do I know that I'm a child of the 80s?

Optimus Prime is the only Autobot leader worth following.

And I still quote Buckaroo Banzai... "Wherever you go.... there you are." :D

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kreth said:
Believe it or not, the original host was Adam Curry...

I remember that.

How about those who remember MTV's initial broadcast? MTV when there were more music videos than stupid shows.

Jonathan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
I remember that.

How about those who remember MTV's initial broadcast? MTV when there were more music videos than stupid shows.

With the astronaut guy planting the MTV flag on the moon? I remember thinking MTV was the coolest thing ever.

Then they stopped playing music.

Then, VH1 came to fill that gap.

Then, they stopped playing music.

... vicious cycle, ain't it? :D

OP
S

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
I remember that.

Does MTV even play music videos nowadays? Every time I poke through MTV, I just see stupid reality shows (I absolutely HATE "Real World"!) Never any music videos.

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
I remember that.

You know you are TRULY a child of the 80's if you remember that MTV's very first video played was "Video Killed the Radio Star".

Damn, I'm gettin' old!

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
Jonathan said:
How do I know that I'm a child of the 80s?

Optimus Prime is the only Autobot leader worth following.

And I still quote Buckaroo Banzai... "Wherever you go.... there you are." :D

Optimus was the stuff! Killed in the movie, had to be brought back in the cartoon series, due to the outcry!

Oddly enough, you can still find the moviesoundtrack in music stores. I was told that it still sells very well. (yeah, I have it on TAPE!)

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jonathan said:
With the astronaut guy planting the MTV flag on the moon? I remember thinking MTV was the coolest thing ever.

Then they stopped playing music.

Then, VH1 came to fill that gap.

Then, they stopped playing music.

... vicious cycle, ain't it? :D

Yes it is. Anyone know what bniumber MTV they're up to now? Last I knew it was 3. When will it end?

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Swordlady said:
Does MTV even play music videos nowadays? Every time I poke through MTV, I just see stupid reality shows (I absolutely HATE "Real World"!) Never any music videos.

Yes, I actuall saw TRL during the afternoon, right after school time. I think that's the only time though. The rest is all of the shows.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Buggles! Yes!

Funny you should put it like that considering that The Buggle featured Trevor Horn who filled in one one Yes album ("Relayer", "Going For The One"?) and also produced "90125" for them. Another Buggles member was keyboardist Geoff Downes who went on to form Asia with ex-Yes guitarist Steve Howe (and ex-Emerson, Lake, and Palmer drummer, Carl Palmer...and ironically in one Asia MTV concert show in Japan, John Wetton bowed out to be replaced...by Greg Lake :)

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow! you were definitely around in the 80's! Well done! As for the song that was used by the buggles, wasn't that actually from the 70's, and it was concert footage, and not a "video"?

I wonder if what you described happened in "the heat of the moment" ? LOL!

Jonathan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hand Sword said:
Optimus was the stuff! Killed in the movie, had to be brought back in the cartoon series, due to the outcry!

Oddly enough, you can still find the moviesoundtrack in music stores. I was told that it still sells very well. (yeah, I have it on TAPE!)

... well, I have the CD. CDs weren't widely used till... what, the early 90s? Having a tape makes you sooo much more 80s than me. (I did used to have it, but my tape player ate it!). ;)

Latest Discussions