SUMO

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Anybody watching the Spring sumo tournament? Haven't followed it for a long time, but I'm getting interested in it again. Takanohana was my favorite, back in the day, and really stood out from the rest, IMO. I know it's not as popular in Japan as it was 20 and more years ago, but so rich in history and culture.

Last edited:

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yep. Just finished watching the last day. It’s been a really great time. Tons of of great technical performances and exciting stories. I’ve been a big fan of Wakatakakage since he entered the Makuuchi division and he just proved how great he is. One of the best bashos I’ve seen.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
This was a really exciting. I haven’t watched day 15 yet so no spoilers please. With Hakuho retired, I think it’s a lot more exciting. I was glad to see Shodai seemed to finally wake up.

Unkogami

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I always watch the sumo, but it's tough getting up so early to watch it in real time.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I always watch the sumo, but it's tough getting up so early to watch it in real time.
We don’t get the entire feed here, but NHK broadcasts all the upper level matches daily. We miss the ceremony, but at least get to watch the matches.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
On YouTube, NattoSumo does a great job of editing together all the matches from each division and adding infographics with lots of great info about each rikishi (height, weight, current rank, highest rank ever, number of bashos, head to head record against the current opponent, record in the current basho, etc).

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
On YouTube, NattoSumo does a great job of editing together all the matches from each division and adding infographics with lots of great info about each rikishi (height, weight, current rank, highest rank ever, number of bashos, head to head record against the current opponent, record in the current basho, etc).
I go back and forth pretty much each basho with whether I watch through his channel, to see that info, or the nhk site, to hear the commentary.

Unkogami

Purple Belt
Reaction score
We don’t get the entire feed here, but NHK broadcasts all the upper level matches daily. We miss the ceremony, but at least get to watch the matches.
We get a satellite channel that brings in TV Japan, so I can watch the full day every day. After the live feed there is a shortened version with English dubbing, but I prefer the whole thing.

OP
I

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Just finished watching the condensed version of the final fifteenth day. WOW! The three leaders all lost; their opponents seemingly extra motivated to great efforts. This required a play-off match to determine the tournament winner which was one of the best bouts of the day.
I’ve been a big fan of Wakatakakage
I am now, too. Glad I didn't read your earlier post till now so I got to enjoy the surprise ending.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Just finished watching the condensed version of the final fifteenth day. WOW! The three leaders all lost; their opponents seemingly extra motivated to great efforts. This required a play-off match to determine the tournament winner which was one of the best bouts of the day.

I am now, too. Glad I didn't read your earlier post till now so I got to enjoy the surprise ending.
It was a very exciting final day. Some random thoughts in no particular order:

I finally understand why Shodai is an Ozeki. I mean, he's always seems lackluster and unmotivated but seems to have woken up in the second half of this tournament.

Wakatakakage did really well and looked strong. My wife and I have always enjoyed watching him, and it's great that he's doing so well.

We always worry about Takakeisho's fitness. He's so big, and doesn't look fit, huffing and puffing after each match. He has very little stamina.

Tochinoshin had a pretty good tournament. Every tournament, I wonder how long he'll be able to compete and if this is the last one, and every tournament he seems to figure out a way to win at least 8 matches.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Shodai gets criticism because he always seems to do just enough to stay at his rank. He'll get an 8-7 or 9-6 or kadoban and have to make it up the next tournament. The thing is, doing just enough to stay at Ozeki rank for a year and a half is still pretty impressive even if he doesn't ever make a run for Yokozuna.

If he could consistently fight the way he did for the last 2/3 of this basho, he would win a lot more fans. He can clearly do even better than he has when the motivation is there.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I enjoy watching the smaller rikishi like Ura, Ishiura and Enho. However, they don’t tend to do very well in basho, proving that size does matter!😉 Wakatakakage was really enjoyable to watch in action!

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I enjoy watching the smaller rikishi like Ura, Ishiura and Enho. However, they don’t tend to do very well in basho, proving that size does matter!😉 Wakatakakage was really enjoyable to watch in action!
I'm almost always rooting for the "little guy", although in Sumo that usually means someone in the 250-290 pound range. Sub-250 pound guys like Enho and Takanoyama can only survive in the makuuchi ranks for so long. I think Wakatakakage is at that sweet spot where he can maintain agility but also has enough mass and power to go toe to toe with the big boys.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I'm almost always rooting for the "little guy", although in Sumo that usually means someone in the 250-290 pound range. Sub-250 pound guys like Enho and Takanoyama can only survive in the makuuchi ranks for so long. I think Wakatakakage is at that sweet spot where he can maintain agility but also has enough mass and power to go toe to toe with the big boys.
Though I wonder how much higher Wakatakakage will be able to go. I think to move to ozeki, you need to be a little bigger than him.

OP
I

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There were a surprising number of matches in this tournament where the "little guy" won. Their superior agility is evident, but there were a few times when the much smaller wrestler stood up against the other guy's charge and out powered him, winning with a front push out, driving him out of the ring. Maybe their shorter legs helped them be better rooted to the ground or allowed them to attack on a lower line against the opponent's center of gravity. In any event, it was quite impressive.

The biggest drawback to being really big, IMO, is the inability to control their momentum once they get going, like a cement truck down hill with faulty brakes and non-powered steering. God help you if you're in their way, but if you can get offline you have a good opportunity for that momentum to work against him, not to mention making him look really silly pancaking on the ground (though I'm sure few say that to say that to his face.)

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There were a surprising number of matches in this tournament where the "little guy" won. Their superior agility is evident, but there were a few times when the much smaller wrestler stood up against the other guy's charge and out powered him, winning with a front push out, driving him out of the ring
I've noticed for the last couple of tournaments that Kotoeko has been consistently outpowering a lot of guys who outweigh him by 100 pounds. I think he's just solid muscle, as opposed to some of the heavier rikishi who have a higher body fat percentage. I think Wakatakakage is also exceptionally strong for his size.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I've noticed for the last couple of tournaments that Kotoeko has been consistently outpowering a lot of guys who outweigh him by 100 pounds. I think he's just solid muscle, as opposed to some of the heavier rikishi who have a higher body fat percentage. I think Wakatakakage is also exceptionally strong for his size.
Kotoeko is who I had in mind... he's strong as an ox, but has trouble winning more than 8 or 9 matches per tournament. Well enough to stay in the upper division, but does he ever advance out of the middle of the pack? Wakatakakage is a little bigger, and has had more success. Is he sekiwake or komosubi? Either way, as a smaller person no matter how skilled, does he make it to ozeki? I'm curious. I mean, he's about 280lbs, but on a 5'9" frame, how much bigger can he get?

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rikishi have special names called shikona. Here’s what some of them mean-

SHIKONA --- MEANING

Abi --- Fiery Many-Armed Demi-God

Aminishiki --- Beautiful and Relaxed Brocade

Aoiyama --- Blue Mountain

Arawashi --- Rough and Wild Eagle

Asanoyama --- Morning Mountain

Chiyomaru --- 1000 Year Old Sphere

Chiyonokuni --- 1000 Year Old Country

Chiyoshoma --- 1000 Year Old Flying Horse

Chiyotairyu --- Large 1000 Year Old Dragon

Daiamami --- Great Amami Island

Daieisho --- Soaring With Great Prosperity

Daishomaru --- Great Flying Sphere

Endo (Actual Surname) --- Distant Wisteria

Goeido --- Great Splendor

Hakuho --- White Phoenix

Hidenoumi --- Excellent Ocean

Hokutofuji --- Northern Victorious Fortune of Mount Fuji

Ichinojo --- Excellent Castle

Ikioi --- Force

Ishiura (Actual Surname) --- Stone Beach

Kagayaki --- Radiant

Kaisei --- Giant Saint

Kakuryu --- Crane Dragon

Kisenosato --- Village of Rare Strength

Kotoeko --- Graceful Light from a Zither

Kotoshogiku --- Rewarding Chrysanthemum Zither

Kotoyuki --- Courageous and Radiant Zither

Kyokutaisei --- Great Rising Star

Meisei --- Bright Life

Mitakeumi --- Sea of Mount Ontake

Myogiryu --- Dragon of Myogi Mountain

Nishikigi --- Well Dressed Tree

Okinoumi --- Oki Island's Sea

Onosho --- Blossoming Warrior

Ryuden --- Lightning Dragon

Sadanoumi --- Sea of Sada Peninsula

Shodai (Actual Surname) --- Age Of Righteousness

Shohozan --- Mythical Fire Bird of Pine Tree Mountain

Sokokurai --- From the Azure Country

Takakeisho --- Honorable View to Victory

Takanoiwa --- Honorable Boulder

Takanosho --- Prosperous Victory

Takarafuji --- A Treasure of Mount Fuji

Takayasu (Actual Surname) --- Up High and Relaxed

Tamawashi --- Gem Eagle

Terunofuji --- Shining Mount Fuji

Tochinoshin --- Sturdy Heart

Tochiozan --- Sturdy Shining Mountain

Yoshikaze --- Favorable Wind

Yutakayama --- Bountiful Mountain

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kotoeko is who I had in mind... he's strong as an ox, but has trouble winning more than 8 or 9 matches per tournament. Well enough to stay in the upper division, but does he ever advance out of the middle of the pack? Wakatakakage is a little bigger, and has had more success. Is he sekiwake or komosubi? Either way, as a smaller person no matter how skilled, does he make it to ozeki? I'm curious. I mean, he's about 280lbs, but on a 5'9" frame, how much bigger can he get?
Yes…big deltoids. But Ishiura has really muscular arms and yet loses most of his bouts, unfortunately.
3935D1A8-6D9E-4D61-93EB-4F9A52AB248D.jpeg

Unkogami

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Anyone remember Mainoumi?

Latest Discussions