How to grip a jian

Reaction score
I go with the book of Enoch how to count? Is there another lineage that shows the framework if so could I get a name for the book so I might be more informed?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I go with the book of Enoch how to count? Is there another lineage that shows the framework if so could I get a name for the book so I might be more informed?

I use my CMA background and the forms I learned from the styles I know for a count which is understood by most who train various styles of Chinese martial arts. The book of Enoch does not in any way shape or form...apply or impress

If you use esoteric methods for counting and explanation then you should expect to be questioned and misunderstood in an area that is discussing Chinese martial arts not discussing religion or works of ancient Jewish religion

Reaction score
I thought a 5800 year old temple book would be adaquat. I have the yellow emperors classic of internal medicine and it is the same information in a,slightly different world view. Reading pulses is about the only difference. The mystery of they dao is found currently in the I ching, and to te ching, with references to power manifestation in the tai chi classics by Watson Liao and the water margin. I am really open to discussion on classical treaties on tai chi I do a lot of it. I also research forms and different meanings of the dao.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am currently enrolled in a night class at my local community college in college level algebra, with the intention of going on to trigonometry and calculus and some math beyond that.

I've got counting down fairly well. I can even do so, at least to the number ten, and in some cases beyond that, in Spanish, German, Croatian, and Cantonese.

If you need some help with that, I could recommend a text book. I don't think the authors name is Enoch, however...

Reaction score
Anyway that could be left for a different post. Theven pictures are how I would grasp a dao. The reason why is I was taught to hold the dao with sword secret hand and found during sword work your fingers would slip and end up like the last picture which is a very good way to loose them. And how I would hold my other hand which could take different shapes is for striking accupoints on the midsection head and waist.

Attachments

• 20170331_104536.jpg
    20170331_104536.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 515
  • 20170331_104556.jpg
    20170331_104556.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 528
  • 20170331_104753.jpg
    20170331_104753.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 435
  • 20170331_104757.jpg
    20170331_104757.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 524
  • 20170331_105159.jpg
    20170331_105159.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 529

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Interesting you were told to hold it with secret sword hand, in more modern wushu it is to balance as a counter weight however the secret sword hand is used in exorcism which is why holding a sword with it makes no sense at least from a priest perspective. Also holding a sword like that seems impractical for combat.

Reaction score
They use a copper multiplier in the other hand classically exorcism was a way of saying if they hit your accupoints with that your sprit would leave. Or it would kill you.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I thought a 5800 year old temple book would be adaquat. I have the yellow emperors classic of internal medicine and it is the same information in a,slightly different world view. Reading pulses is about the only difference. The mystery of they dao is found currently in the I ching, and to te ching, with references to power manifestation in the tai chi classics by Watson Liao and the water margin. I am really open to discussion on classical treaties on tai chi I do a lot of it. I also research forms and different meanings of the dao.

Yeah, we're done....you are a true grandmaster, and I truly mean that in the way it is used on mainland China...

Reaction score
They are just reference points like where the weave in fabric goes over another piece of fabric. If you were to disassemble fabric how to do it. Real advanced practice is learning these lessons so you don't use them and can counteract others that do. The advance practice is the dao. There are multitudes of ways to use it. I provided this information so to keep us all from being stupid like those that seek to harm others it's self protection to know. Some keep this as a shinny secret others see them use it and think about how poor there kung-fu is.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
They use a copper multiplier in the other hand classically exorcism was a way of saying if they hit your accupoints with that your sprit would leave. Or it would kill you.
You are referring to a kila which is more in line of Tibetan Buddhist tradition not so much daojiao who use hand position and copper swords, and fu charms. The other sects of Chinese and Japanese esoteric schools also use similar practices though a kila not as often I think.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Um, can you read or understand Chinese hanzi? I think understanding classical Chinese learning the language will greatly help you. The yellow emperor classic is a good book, you should read jadecloudalchemist work on it on this site.
The Yellow Emperor's classic on Winter

Reaction score
Yeah, we're done....you are a true grandmaster, and I truly mean that in the way it is used on mainland China...
Thanks I'm an A hole. I was just trying to be part of the conversation. Sword can take 10 years of study to become any good even if you have a group of teachers showing you exactly how to use it and have all the martial ability in the world, and know all the cheat codes. Ask anyone that fences and they will say this. It is a study you will never complete. I'm sure everyone here has a lot of information and a lot of practice including you it's all different there outlooks are different than mine I have dropped my information and I will post a video later. I hope they will do the same. Weather or not it's great doesn't Matter. The reason I did this is because this is a community of martial artist and others who will see this might become interested. After 26 years you realize that life happens and what do I have to contribute? I'm sorry I offended you, you are validated. And yes it is not what someone should do classically but the veil has been lifted for open communication.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Speaking of Chinese here's my new daughter ling with my other daughter mi.

Attachments

• IMG_20170322_143514.jpg
    IMG_20170322_143514.jpg
    970.9 KB · Views: 530
Reaction score
Very nice I'm planning on having some kids soon too with my new wife. As soon as I get the work life balance and money thing under control. It's a whole new world to get to watch something grow.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Thanks I'm an A hole. I was just trying to be part of the conversation. Sword can take 10 years of study to become any good even if you have a group of teachers showing you exactly how to use it and have all the martial ability in the world, and know all the cheat codes. Ask anyone that fences and they will say this. It is a study you will never complete. I'm sure everyone here has a lot of information and a lot of practice including you it's all different there outlooks are different than mine I have dropped my information and I will post a video later. I hope they will do the same. Weather or not it's great doesn't Matter. The reason I did this is because this is a community of martial artist and others who will see this might become interested. After 26 years you realize that life happens and what do I have to contribute? I'm sorry I offended you, you are validated. And yes it is not what someone should do classically but the veil has been lifted for open communication.

26 years huh....I've been that...twice already

After over half a century on the planet and over 4 decades in martial arts I can pretty much can figure out what is going on here....and I didn't even need to reference the book of Enoch or throw out unrelated statements to do it..... you have a great day grandmaster.

Latest Discussions