How to get more "agressive"?

cwk

Blue Belt
Reaction score
see thats what you get for being surrounded by people much younger than yourselves.... luckily for me their all female... i,m the only male in 18 employees so woooooooohoooooo to that!!
:angel:
:ultracool
matsu

Working with 18 young ladies eh? That should be enough to build up some..er...."aggression."
icon7.gif

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
venusian is now my second language and its tougher than learning the remotest dialect of swaheli whilst being deaf and blind lol!
they say the same words but they have a whole different meaning!! luckily i am almost an honary lifetime member now. i,m sure i have moods monthly ,in sympathy:shock:

"aggression" is not the word bud, they do drive me to distraction and not always in the way you mean.but most of the time i luuuurve my job heehee!

matsu

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi fellow chunners...

I have this reoccurring problem that always seem to haunt me. I'm not aggressive enough...
I'm not talking about hitting my fellow students or anything like that, no I'm talking about my attitude... I'm way too passive in almost everything we do... Chi-Sau, Lat-sau, Sparring etc.

Very often, my passiveness, results in me being too slow when I finally trying to attack...
It's some kind of a mental block that's holding me back...

And the problem is that when I fail to act, it's difficult to get better...

:)

A lot of folks seem to have this problem, me too many times. I've found that aggression will not make you faster or more able to retaliate; but cause you to "compete" and force the technique.

Work on sensitivity and spring energy more. Feel the partner and keep forward thought to make sure that you take advantage of a hole when you feel in in chi sau or other training. If the force isn't impeding you from going foreward your arms should shoot in to attack.
This isn't aggression. This is more of a mentality of "opportunism". When the opportunity is there your foreward thought force (foreward pressure) and relaxed spring energy should shoot your arms foreward without you even thinking much less adopting an emotion like agression.

Apply the same pressure you recieve.
Stay relaxed and think "foreward" thought force.
Allow your arms to "spring" foreward when resisting force is no longer there.
Don't get aggressive, you'll just end up anticipating and forcing technique.
;)

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hi fellow chunners...

I've been training wing chun on and off for a couple of years now...

I have this reoccurring problem that always seem to haunt me. I'm not aggressive enough...
I'm not talking about hitting my fellow students or anything like that, no I'm talking about my attitude... I'm way too passive in almost everything we do... Chi-Sau, Lat-sau, Sparring etc.

Very often, my passiveness, results in me being too slow when I finally trying to attack...
It's some kind of a mental block that's holding me back...

And the problem is that when I fail to act, it's difficult to get better...

Hmm.. this is kinda hard to explain, but I'm sure that a lot of you guys must have been in the same situation when you started your wing chun journey...

I need some advice on how to get past this and become more "cocky" & "aggressive" when training...

Please note, this has nothing to do, with me wanting to hurt those I train with... it's just... well.. I feel like my "passiveness" is holding me back from learning and become better...

Hope you guys understands and have some ideas to what I can do :)

My WC brother, that attribute you are looking for is widely thrown about in some MA circles as "INTENT", has little to do with being "aggressive or cocky".

When training, what are you "intent" to accomplish with the various drills and techniques ... to over come you partner's defense and nullify his offense. If you're having trouble obtaining that goal, then you will have to redefine/refine the process of developing that elusive thing called ... INTENT.

WC is suppose to be an simple art form to be easily learned, but is better known as an "thinking man's art"for a reason...

Happy trails, you go find INTENT noowww ... :whip1::whip1::whip1:

Domino

Black Belt
Reaction score
I like Yak Sau, Kamon Guy and Matsu explanation.
Failing those, read Geoff Thompsons book called 'FEAR'. Helped me alot.

Latest Discussions