How to Break Boards?

P

paul

Ok, I have a question. I have taken martial arts in the past, but have since moved and not found a school yet. I still go over my current and past techniques, forms, etc.

I am a youth leader for our high school kids and want to do a sermon and use karate has an attention getter.

However, one thing that was never taught to me was how to break boards. I would like to incororate the sermon and breaking of boards, but I know zilch about it.

What type of boards? How I do hit it? Etc.

Thanks!

kempo108

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
welcome to the boards(no pun intended). board breaking is usually done with pine about 1 inch thick, 12 inches wide. as for the height i have seen many differences. 12 inches, 10, 8, even 6. i belive the smaller the number the easier it is. i am no expert though. and always strike with the grain. meaning if your doing a side kick the grain should run horizontal. make sure the holder locks their elbows out. and try to strike right through. i am sure there are others here who do alot of breaking, that could help you more.

Ito-okita

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Which technique would you like to use ? I studied TKD which is real heavy on breaking. Good advice, don't use thick boards the first time :)

OP
P

paul

I was thinking a hammer fist. Putting it on cinder bocks.Thanks

Eldritch Knight

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm inclined to say that if you haven't broken boards before, its probably not a good idea to start by demonstrating it to others. The technique is pretty simple, but the important part about board breaking is that its not a demonstration of strength, but one of correct body mechanics; those that should be deemed acceptable by an instructor. I'd highly recommend getting a qualified person to watch your technique first and iron out any possible bad habits before you actually put flesh to wood.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The break I show fair-goers at our TKD booth is the palm strike set up so that the boards is "just" overlapped on the concrete blocks. The blocks give better resistance and support than an inexperienced holder who can allow give or flinch and not allow the break. So, then all the power your put into the break will come back at you. (ow)

You need to know how to pick out boards - #2 pine-- 1" x 12 x 8-cut to 10" x 12", less resin-whiter, less grain-wider spaced is what I would recommend for someone first breaking.

If you are right-handed, put your left foot along side the block with your right foot stretched out slightly in back and apart width-wise. Your shoulders should be over the block. You can rest your left hand on the left block edge or hover over that area. Bring your right arm elbow straight up over the center of the board (the board is horizontal on the block) The arm works as a piston coming straight down. Don't curl your fingers, keep your palm flat, facing down. You would be using your palm heel on inside of your hand to strike. I usually bring my non-striking hand/arm up as I strike with the other and bend my right knee as I strike - but that is usually for more boards - but you can try it. Visualize your are striking and not ending at the board but at a board that is lower near the floor - so don't stop at the board - go through. The center or the lower third of the board is your target. A hammerfist is another alternative but I will let someone else explain that if you want to do that. TW

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
TigerWoman said:
You need to know how to pick out boards - #2 pine-- 1" x 12 x 8-cut to 10" x 12", less resin-whiter, less grain-wider spaced is what I would recommend for someone first breaking.

This part's important. You don't want to have the boards cut perfectly square, or you might end up accidentally lining them up cross-grained. That's like double reinforcing the boards. Also, consider buying the wood early and letting it sit around and dry out for a couple days. Wood that's still too "green" tends to be less cooperative in breaking.

Last time our class had a board breaking day, things didn't go so well for most people. The wood had too much resin in it, and was sticking together like it was glued. (Damn Home Depot for selling us quality wood!)

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Eldritch Knight said:
I'm inclined to say that if you haven't broken boards before, its probably not a good idea to start by demonstrating it to others. The technique is pretty simple, but the important part about board breaking is that its not a demonstration of strength, but one of correct body mechanics; those that should be deemed acceptable by an instructor. I'd highly recommend getting a qualified person to watch your technique first and iron out any possible bad habits before you actually put flesh to wood.
I agree. I wouldn't dream of demonstrating something I haven't done before and don't know much about without the guidance of someone who has been breaking for years, at least, and without some experience in doing so. You risk injuring yourself and others.

I really really really really discourage you from doing this unless you're going to start learning now, practicing now, and demonstrate 6 months to a year down the road.

There are practice boards (re-breakables) you can purchase. Though they are not EXACTLY like breaking wood, they are close and you don't waste a natural resource. You can also use old telephone books as targets. If they are hit right, they will make a sound that sounds a bit like a board breaking. When you hear that sound, it's a good chance you can break one board with that strike.

...but...get someone to coach you and your kids in person.

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
Paul if I were you I would think of possibly doing something else. Maybe kata or something. You are planning to do something that you have never done before which if done wrong may lead to you getting injured. I would hate to see the breaking of your hand be the attraction and not the breaking of the boards. Just a thought.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i'm going to agree with a lot of what everyone has saying here...

but I'd like to ask you a question...how many boards were you planning on breaking?

I think that if you were dead set on doing this you could get away with doing a one or two board palm smash or maybe a hammer fist...

as a little tip on hammerfist or knifehand...look at your palm, see that line that starts between your index and middle finger and runs across your palm to the edge of the hand...ending below the pinkly knuckle? That's the do not cross line...you should hit with the part of your hand below that line

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Skip the breaking-besides most of the breaking the days is a side show stunt and the public is really not that awed

Todd

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
The board breaking at the fair is usually what makes people think that they CAN do TKD. One board or two max for a big guy, palm strike, is no big deal if done they way I described. It will not break your hand. ;) After a few thousand people breaking boards at the fair in front of me, the success rate is about 95% for an adult and alot of teens too are capable. I even had one in a wheelchair with no legs do it and he did not have big arm muscles, was pushed by an attendant. But he did have will! He wanted me to sign it, he was so proud of his accomplishment.

For kids, board breaking is like candy and most really love it from the turnouts at the tournaments. What everyone generally doesn't like is practicing forms. Alot of people glaze over at watching them at tournaments but all stay for our black belt breaking. It is an event. So I guess it is whatever you make of it. TW

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
I think Paul here would be fine breaking a single board. Muscle size has nothing to do with it. It's purely about technique. If you know how to throw a plam strike downwards, you can do this. I've seen kids at summer camps do single board breaks without any prior experience, and it's still about a 95% success rate.

Just make sure you practice at least a couple times a day for a few days before doing it in front of an audience.

Of course, if you do know someone with board breaking experience, getting help from them in person is even better.

someguy

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Here is my way to do it.
First some people go with pine and stuff bah I say to that. Balsa wood is just as good.
Second some pepole go with 1 inch thick. Bah they are just muscle heads. 1/4 inch thick works.
Err umm yeah nothing helpfull to say again.
Good luck though. I won't say break a leg here.

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You'll be fine. Breaking boards is hardly rocket science. If you are concerned about it, buy up a few dozen boards and get in some practice at home. Watch some videos of other people doing it to see how its done. And if you are worried about your technique, just smash the crap out of it. Proper technique will see the boards splinter most times, but simple power will get the job done too.

Also, if spectacle and awe are your aims, I find roof tiles smash better than boards. You can set them on fire for extra panache, but dont do this if you are a beginner.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Adept said:
You'll be fine. Breaking boards is hardly rocket science. If you are concerned about it, buy up a few dozen boards and get in some practice at home. Watch some videos of other people doing it to see how its done. And if you are worried about your technique, just smash the crap out of it. Proper technique will see the boards splinter most times, but simple power will get the job done too.
Gotta say though, it feels a whole lot better when technique's in place.

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Certainly does. Technique is fine, and power is fine, but when you get them both working together properly it's a whole other world.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Since you have a computor, look on martial art sites, karate sites for books and videos on breaking. One book comes to mind is....The complete Art of Breaking, by Richard Byme. I several videos on breaking...neat! Search the sites,ebay,etc. Check with Ohara Publications.Inc for some of there books. Even Amazon books and videos too. There is a video call the ..Ice master...Where 8th degree-Bob Fabrey breaks 1000 lbs of ice, plus other students breaking bats and other stuffs...Whew! Cool! I love to collect any kind of Martial arts books and real videos, Good luck...Oh one of the best ways to toughen the knuckles,is do push-ups on the hard floors(cement,hardwood floors),punching hard stuffs will give you arthritis in your hands in your future years. Best of luck....
Aloha

OH the best I ever did in breaking was three one inch boards with no spacers. We break bricks up to eight(i x 8 x 12) but with 8 penny common nails for spacers. Fun..but you gotta too believe you can do it!!

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i came from a school that was heavily into breaking......wood, patio stones, cinder blocks, bottles......you name it.
i have seen beginners walk upto a single piece of wood and guffaw......until their hand bounced off of it.
i wouldn't think about doing a demo with zero breaking experience, especially without a good teacher that is experienced in breaking.
how painful to your rep would it be if you said a big inspirational speech, turned and threw your fist or shuto at a piece of wood and it bounced off like an indian rubber ball......it would be embarassing to you and to the people you were speaking to.

shawn

Latest Discussions