How similar is Hapkido to aikido?

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tae Kwon Do without learning a hook kick? You’d learn that before you even got your yellow belt in our system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was one of the kicks, all of which we learned from the beginning, that was taught in the Hapkido I learned. But remember, I studied in the mid-60s, and there wasn't much Tae Kwon Do in the USA, at least to my knowledge. Most people had heard of Karate or perhaps Kung Fu. When I mentioned TKD to people, I usually had to tell them it was like a Korean Karate, so they had a way to understand at least a little. :p

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Interesting. If you were to break down your schools Hapkido curriculum, what percentages would you give?

I don't know that I could even correctly break it down that way. We learned techniques. It started with wrist locks, first seven strikes, which were strikes to the openent's arm, then to some part of his body. Next came breaks, which usually meant joint locks, and which usually ended with a strike. Then came throws, which might or might not include a break/joint lock, leading into a throw. After we learned blocks to strikes, the block might lead to a strike, break, or a throw.

Given that, to say we used breaks a certain amount of time, without mentioning ending them with a strike, or that a break might precede a throw, would skew what percentages we did.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was one of the kicks, all of which we learned from the beginning, that was taught in the Hapkido I learned. But remember, I studied in the mid-60s, and there wasn't much Tae Kwon Do in the USA, at least to my knowledge. Most people had heard of Karate or perhaps Kung Fu. When I mentioned TKD to people, I usually had to tell them it was like a Korean Karate, so they had a way to understand at least a little. :p

A fair number of people who taught TKD in the 60's called it Korean Karate for exactly that reason.

Twisting

White Belt
Reaction score
Since they share claimed origins, of course they're related. But there's that whole big anti-Japanese bias that Koreans of a certain age have...

As I see it, the big difference is that Hapkido (as it's practiced today) utilizes a lot of kicks incorporated from TKD and is perhaps more aggressive than Aikido.
With respect, I disagree. Hkd has indigenous circular kicks, and one specific first gen student integrated a few Tang so do kicks that fit Hkd principles and then modified it with a Hkd flavour of movement. So the pure Hkd schools look completely different from TSD And closer to taekkyon imo. He also invented the way that spinning heel was done, which was never popular in early ITF tkd. It’s possible his iteration of the spinning heel kick was derived from taekkyon.

both Ji Han Jae and the hankido group show a clear demo of the original circular close range kicks. I think lee soos group does as well.

IMO, aikido is more lead and continuous control focused, while Hkd is more about stopping and dropping than leading, especially with the footwork. aikido is more formally circular and smooth with uke literally running circles around tori, but this makes sense if you consider o sensei's aikido was a form of enlightenment, philosophy and personal expression, rather than a Japanese Kraft maga.

BobY777

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Is that a difference in art or a difference in school?

My understanding is that a lot of Korean martial arts are based heavily on Japanese martial arts. Taekwondo, while having some basis in traditional Korean arts, also has roots in Karate learned from the Japanese. I assumed Hapkido followed a similar vein, that it was based on Aikido learned from the Japanese.
No. Both were based on aiki-jutsu

BobY777

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So after much research and thinking...tomorrow night is going to be my first hapkido class. If you've seen other posts you know I've asked numerous ?'s about if I'm able to do certain arts. I'm just curious as to how similar hapkido is to aikido. I've heard it's based on daito aikijutsu (sp) like aikido. The school I'm attending, the GM was taught by Park Song Il who was a student of Ji Han Jae. So is hapkido sort of like aikido with TKD mixed in? Also how much ground fighting is done in hapkido?
Hapkido is akin to tenshin aikido, as it is more practical, more straight-forward, less circular and more agressive, but generally uses the same principles

Latest Discussions