Training the amputee

Yoll

White Belt
Reaction score
We have a new student who lost his right arm just below the elbow 2 years ago. We will need to modify our techniques. I am looking for anyone who has trained an amputee or can direct me to someone who has experience doing so, video, other forums, etc. Thanks!

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Interesting challenge. However, I would think first you need to decide if you will teach him techniques with a prosthetic (assuming he has one), without, or both. I lot of the basic white belt techniques can be done with only slight modifications. That will get him on the road to muscle memory.

As you go along, let him see how students who have the use of both hands do things. If you can't see how he might do it with only one hand and a partial arm, ensure he knows the mechanics and ask him how he thinks he might accomplish the technique with what he has to work with. He may surprise you. Other techniques he may require a little more strength, or very skillful use of pressure points (which we are all supposed to do correctly anyway of course), or some other modification, and some he just won't be able to do. Move him past those.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Go to youtube and look up Nick Newell.

There's a bunch on there I think.

I've trained an amputee before. Leg loss just below the knee. You just work with what he has. Might be an idea to wrap up your right arm or tape it to your torso to get a feel for what things feel like. Maybe contact some paraolympic folks and get a phone conversation going. I'm guessing they would be more than happy to help you out. Might put you in touch with some of their competitors.

Be honest with the guy you're training. If a question or situation comes up that you're not really sure of, tell him so and that you'll figure it out together.

Keep us posted, bro.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Go to youtube and look up Nick Newell.

There's a bunch on there I think.

I've trained an amputee before. Leg loss just below the knee. You just work with what he has. Might be an idea to wrap up your right arm or tape it to your torso to get a feel for what things feel like. Maybe contact some paraolympic folks and get a phone conversation going. I'm guessing they would be more than happy to help you out. Might put you in touch with some of their competitors.

Be honest with the guy you're training. If a question or situation comes up that you're not really sure of, tell him so and that you'll figure it out together.

Keep us posted, bro.

A lot of mma do that because war veterans gravitate towards it.

You could jump on Facebook and just ask people who train them.

OP
Y

Yoll

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks. Good thoughts & I think we're on the right track!