How should I cook this venison?

OP
Buka

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Wine and milk? That's a new combo to me. I typically marinade poultry in milk, and everything else in wine. But never both. Is that a combo you use regularly? I'm intrigued.

I don't usually brine red meat, but that might help with the gaminess.

Keep us posted.

I've used both, but never together. It was just a thought, that I think I'm going to run with. I'm going to go chop it up right now and marinade it in wine, milk....and Grey Goose.

No fool like a damn fool. :)

OP
Buka

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Found out that the deer was bagged three hours before it came to my house. Head shot from thirty yards (as the head was the only thing showing)

There was a whole lot more meat than I thought. Froze some, chopped up the rest and it's now marinating in some fine white wine, milk and The Goose.

Do I have any idea what I'm doing? Not clue one. But, as a relatively new cook (few years), I don't care, I'll try anything.. :).

I took some pics. But it says the pics are too large. Don't know why that is, same pics I always take.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But it says the pics are too large. Don't know why that is, same pics I always take.
Depending on what you photograph that could be very good.................... ;):D

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well......how did you prepare it? And how did it turn out?

OP
Buka

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Made a stew in the slow cooker. Took a beef stew recipe I found on line and substituted the beef with the venison. Used this one. The Best Crockpot Beef Stew - Family Fresh Meals

I make a really good beef stew, but on the stove top. It was just too hot that day, so I looked up the slow cooker one.

Couldn't really tell the difference between the venison and beef. There was no gaminess at all. But the stew, compared to the one I usually make was just fair. I mean if you were hungry, you wouldn't mind it. But if you bought it in a restaurant, it wouldn't be your choice a second time.

I have two more hunks in the freezer. I think I'm just going to throw them on the grill.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Made a stew in the slow cooker. Took a beef stew recipe I found on line and substituted the beef with the venison. Used this one. The Best Crockpot Beef Stew - Family Fresh Meals

I make a really good beef stew, but on the stove top. It was just too hot that day, so I looked up the slow cooker one.

Couldn't really tell the difference between the venison and beef. There was no gaminess at all. But the stew, compared to the one I usually make was just fair. I mean if you were hungry, you wouldn't mind it. But if you bought it in a restaurant, it wouldn't be your choice a second time.

I have two more hunks in the freezer. I think I'm just going to throw them on the grill.

Slice it open pack with peppers and cream cheese and wrap in bacon....my opinion that way and/or smothered venison tips is best way to cook venison

Latest Discussions