How often do you change out your old dobak?

How often to replace the dobak?

• After one year

• After 3 years

• I don't

• Just whenever I see the need.

Results are only viewable after voting.

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
That's too bad. I bet he's not secure enough in his "own"man hood to wear a pink shirt either, is he? Unfortunately I've heard this same thing way too many times over the years from female martial artists. I wish you the best in your training and hope fully one day he will come to realize that only good can come from your training. Weather it is building your own self confidence, your self defense skills or just realizing that you are a "person" in your own right that deserves the respect for what she is doing and trying to accomplish other than the fact that she is "just" a woman. All the best, keep us posted, OK?

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That's too bad. I bet he's not secure enough in his "own"man hood to wear a pink shirt either, is he? Unfortunately I've heard this same thing way too many times over the years from female martial artists. I wish you the best in your training and hope fully one day he will come to realize that only good can come from your training. Weather it is building your own self confidence, your self defense skills or just realizing that you are a "person" in your own right that deserves the respect for what she is doing and trying to accomplish other than the fact that she is "just" a woman. All the best, keep us posted, OK?

Well said wade. My teenaged daughter is a martial artist too, and that makes me feel tremendiously proud. We have one major thing in common, our TKD training and she's really into it which is really cool. It's disheartening that more females are not into the martial arts. Anyway, to Shaderon, keep training hard... :asian:

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Thanks very much Wade, you really made me smile this morning (((hugs))) (whaddya mean you don't do hugs? everyone does hugs!), I was elated anyway at doing my first breaking last night (a forefist punch though a breaking board :D ) but when I got home all he said was "You're strange" because I was so happy. *sigh* He's going to have to watch himself or he'll end up loosing me to this, at least my daughter was pleased, she wants to know when she can have a go too! lol

Anyway this isn't the thread for this so I'll leave it at that and I shall certainly keep you posted by other threads :)

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey Shaderon, helloooooo..... Look at my picture, I'm a biker and I hug just about everyone..........................:) Course I also make sure they aren't trying to lift my wallet while they are doing it. Besides being fun and getting me lots of hugs it really freaks the Korean Masters out when I do it to them. Since I tend to outrank a lot of them there's not much they can do about it, that makes it even better. As for "him", he is probably no different than most people who are not involved in the Arts. We have a saying about riding, "if you don't understand it I can never explain it'. One of the other sayings is "ride to live". This goes for the Arts too. You either do or you don't, sometimes there is no middle ground. Congratulations on the breaking and good luck to your daughter.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey Shaderon, helloooooo..... Look at my picture, I'm a biker and I hug just about everyone..........................:) Course I also make sure they aren't trying to lift my wallet while they are doing it. Besides being fun and getting me lots of hugs it really freaks the Korean Masters out when I do it to them. Since I tend to outrank a lot of them there's not much they can do about it, that makes it even better. As for "him", he is probably no different than most people who are not involved in the Arts. We have a saying about riding, "if you don't understand it I can never explain it'. One of the other sayings is "ride to live". This goes for the Arts too. You either do or you don't, sometimes there is no middle ground. Congratulations on the breaking and good luck to your daughter.

I'd like to see that! Talk about culture shock! When I met GM Park, Hae Man last year, he was gracious enough to have his photo taken with me. I was excited & naturally put my arm around him. The look I got made me move it quickly. I'm glad I still have the arm.:ultracool

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, they are kind of strange that way. Once they get used to it though the tend to relax and accept. On the other hand when we are walking and they want to hold my hand it tends to freak me out so I guess it goes both ways, eh?

TKDmel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have a couple of gis that are in good shape, but they've changed colors to a dingy yellow thanks to all the sweating I've done while wearing them. I always wash my uniforms after class and hang them up to dry, so they are well cared for, but I've tried vinegar/baking soda soaks without any luck. Even OxyClean didn't help.

So, I guess these are going into the trash. What a shame, as they are perfectly wearable other than the unappetizing color.

Stoneheart...take heart! I've usede powered Cascade dishwashing detergent to get the yellow out for years. Chefs and prepcooks use this method as well. It works. Just add a little to your wash. It contains phosphates that react with the stains.

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yeah, they are kind of strange that way. Once they get used to it though the tend to relax and accept. On the other hand when we are walking and they want to hold my hand it tends to freak me out so I guess it goes both ways, eh?

They want to hold you hand? Are you sure that's not a reaction to the hugs? ;-)

TKD, dishwashing detergent?? Wow that actually makes sense thinking about it! I might try that on my whites! Thanks for the tip. I dont think I can get Cascade over here but I'll try another brand.

stoneheart

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Stoneheart...take heart! I've usede powered Cascade dishwashing detergent to get the yellow out for years. Chefs and prepcooks use this method as well. It works. Just add a little to your wash. It contains phosphates that react with the stains.

Thanks for the tip, TKDMel! I'll give this a try over the weekend. I've got some Electrasol around the house - I imagine it's similar to Cascade since it is also a powder for the dishwashing machine.

PictonMA

Orange Belt
Reaction score
When a uniform starts to get any yellowing or stains that won't come out it's time to toss it. I usually have 3-5 that I rotate through but am down to 2 atm because the others were getting unsightly, time to buy a couple more.

For years and years I admired the look of old and worn blackbelts but now that my belt has become pretty threadbare (well ok it's been that way for a few years) I've decided it's time to get a new one - I'm looking forward to wearing a nice shiny new blackbelt again ;p

OP
bluemtn

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score

Wow! I've never heard of that one, TKDmel! Thanks for the tip! Congratulations to Shaderon on your break, too!

Mellyn

White Belt
Reaction score
oh man lol. Having a good laugh at this thread. Generally, I toss a uniform if it's well, um... foul =x

The yellow stains are a good indication. Bleach generally eats through uniforms after a while, but there are some good new products out there that are more gentle on all cotton material. I have such a variety of uniforms now though, that I like to keep at least one of each - light/heavy white/black trim, etc. The new uniforms seem to be extremely light weight - great for working out but not great for producing that *snap*.

I give myself one drawer in my dresser for uniforms. When I end up with overflow - through nostalgia or weight loss - it's decision time. Something must go.

Mellyn

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I haven't worn through one yet, but I have bought ones that didn't quite fit (both for me and the kids) which has turned out to be a good thing. My main dobok now is a size 5 top and size 3 pants, so I'm thinking of getting a tournament cut gi shortly. I like the variety out there, and going to a school that is pretty lax on what kind of dobok/gi you wear, I'll probably have a dozen by the time '09 rolls around ;) I have my three daughters in TKD as well, and my son will be starting in September, so I may just leave "dobok replacement" into Santa's capable hands this year! :lol:

Congrats on the break Shaderon!

Latest Discussions