How not to blink

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
light dancer said:
... and I will work through them.
That right there is the single biggest thing that anyone engaged in the Japanese sword arts can do to improve their swordwork. The way that the sword arts are learned is predicated on repetition, lots of repetition. Any and all issues and problems can be overcome with a knowledgeable instructor and sufficient practice. I always tell students that they should take a video of themselves performing kata, and then watch it a year later. Those that have done this are inevitably amazed at how poorly they performed a year ago.

You'll get through this issue, and go on to other issues that need to be overcome. :)

Train hard!

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
That right there is the single biggest thing that anyone engaged in the Japanese sword arts can do to improve their swordwork. The way that the sword arts are learned is predicated on repetition, lots of repetition. Any and all issues and problems can be overcome with a knowledgeable instructor and sufficient practice. I always tell students that they should take a video of themselves performing kata, and then watch it a year later. Those that have done this are inevitably amazed at how poorly they performed a year ago.

You'll get through this issue, and go on to other issues that need to be overcome. :)

Train hard!

Good advice. the only thing I would change, is it pertains to every art represented on this forum

Zenjael

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Why not blink just before the cut? Wouldn't that offer the most clarity? I see how it would be beneficial, especially in meditating and mental control, I relax my eyes and let them receive everything without focus, from a technique I learned in Baguazhang. The only time I've gone past 2-3 minutes though was with it, and that was for the heck of trying.

I didn't know not blinking was a real skillset within swordsmanship. Makes sense though.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why not blink just before the cut? Wouldn't that offer the most clarity? I see how it would be beneficial, especially in meditating and mental control, I relax my eyes and let them receive everything without focus, from a technique I learned in Baguazhang. The only time I've gone past 2-3 minutes though was with it, and that was for the heck of trying.

I didn't know not blinking was a real skillset within swordsmanship. Makes sense though.

Godsdammit… it's not. Read the thread.

TJRKenshi

White Belt
Reaction score
Minor thread necro...my apologies, but it's a topic we talk about in my training quite a bit. I'm a scientist, so I like to say "Never always, never never..." and I think it applies to the blinking question. It may not be a general consideration for some, or even most schools, but it is for my school. (Tenshinsho Jigen Ryu)

We actually do train when we blink (and when we don't), but our forms are generally not 6 minutes long. For longer forms, there are points during the form when it is appropriate (* in our school) to blink, and also when to breathe in, or when (and how) to breathe out. The reasons are largely about reaction time.

Perhaps it is akin to what your teachers are trying to get at. It may be appropriate to ask your teachers "when" it is appropriate to blink during your forms and train that. It's impossible/not a good idea to try and not blink for 6 minutes.

Jason

Latest Discussions