How much time does your club devote to Ho Shin sul (grappling)?

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That is a Big "No" Current modilities followed by the facility is to minimize any common touchpoints with the exception of the feet on the floor.

Is it because small open wounds on your body can contract Corona from the pads?

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is it because small open wounds on your body can contract Corona from the pads?
I believe the state department of health and human services feels that if a person has the virus and their germs are on their body and transmitted to surfaces they touch which are in turn touched by others with their hands and they then touch their face this enables spreading the virus.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We are a USTF School. Each Gup level has certain USTF requirements for HSS. In order to differentiate it from Step Sparring it must have a component of a release from a grab / hold. Throw / takedown / sweep. Joint attack, Pressure point utilization. In addition there is a separate USTF weapons and ground component. On top of the hat I have some background in traditional Ju Jitsu as well as a smattering of BJJ which I integrate.

Okey but my thread was about time spent per month, in class, doing Ho Shin Sul. I'm curious if once a month is standard or if my club had a low emphasis on it relative to other Taekwondo dojangs.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm not sure why some TaeKwonDo instructor think that BJJ inclusion is going to make any difference whatsoever. A person who is specialized in BJJ is still going to choke a TKD practitioner on the ground, very easily, just as a BJJ practitioner is not going to stand a chance striking even if his instructor throws in a little kicks and punches here and there.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure why some TaeKwonDo instructor think that BJJ inclusion is going to make any difference whatsoever. A person who is specialized in BJJ is still going to choke a TKD practitioner on the ground, very easily, just as a BJJ practitioner is not going to stand a chance striking even if his instructor throws in a little kicks and punches here and there.
“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

― Sun Tzu, The Art of War

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Before Corona virus, most lessons we'd do it for about 10-15 minutes (in a 1-2 hour class). Unless the class is a specific focus class on a single topic. Since Covid, in the UK we're again limited to non-contact training, so no hoshinsool training.

When we do hoshinsool, it includes defence against grabs, locks, takedowns, ground position changes and submissions. As per the current Kukkiwon self-defence syllabus.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Before Corona virus, most lessons we'd do it for about 10-15 minutes (in a 1-2 hour class). Unless the class is a specific focus class on a single topic. Since Covid, in the UK we're again limited to non-contact training, so no hoshinsool training.

When we do hoshinsool, it includes defence against grabs, locks, takedowns, ground position changes and submissions. As per the current Kukkiwon self-defence syllabus.

Since none of you specify it, I take this is every class?

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
For those of you who may have studied back in the 60s, was there training on defense to attacks with any attention to grappling moves in TKD? I was not aware of that being so. When I studied it was blocks, strikes and kicks. Maybe it was just because we only had one student who advanced to Black Belt, although we had several brown belts who were close. But none of us were aware of it if grappling was taught as a defense.

I wonder if we were part of a school that didn't use it, or if TKD just didn't begin to adopt it until later.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
For those of you who may have studied back in the 60s, was there training on defense to attacks with any attention to grappling moves in TKD? I was not aware of that being so. When I studied it was blocks, strikes and kicks. Maybe it was just because we only had one student who advanced to Black Belt, although we had several brown belts who were close. But none of us were aware of it if grappling was taught as a defense.

I wonder if we were part of a school that didn't use it, or if TKD just didn't begin to adopt it until later.

The KKW does not mandate joint manipulation/grappling as part of the curriculum or gradings in the US (they do in Europe though). So that could be why it was missing from your school.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score

It has always been part of General Chois TaeKwonDo branch, at least since he established the ITF, and it is mandatory in ITF.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
The KKW does not mandate joint manipulation/grappling as part of the curriculum or gradings in the US (they do in Europe though). So that could be why it was missing from your school.

The Kukkiwon doesn't treat US and Europe differently. It's part of the Kukkiwon syllabus (global), just quite a recent addition so most masters are unaware. It's not yet part of the grading syllabus (but dojang are free to add to the grading syllabus).

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The Kukkiwon doesn't treat US and Europe differently. It's part of the Kukkiwon syllabus (global), just quite a recent addition so most masters are unaware. It's not yet part of the grading syllabus (but dojang are free to add to the grading syllabus).

If it's not part of the gradings syllabus, it is not necessarily part of the particular schools content, which answers his question.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'd said most lessons. You can take that to mean almost every class.

That is radically different from my ITF school doing it once a month. Not that it matters in the end since you have do it for black belt gradings anyway.... but I'm surprised you did it that often.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Since none of you specify it, I take this is every class?
My classes re generally broken down into segments with HSS being one of them. Not every segment is trained every class. There are approximately 24 classes between color belt tests. HSS would be in at least 1/3 of the classes with 1 class a month being devoted solely to HSS.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
For those of you who may have studied back in the 60s, .
Don't know if many any on this board go back that far since the lat year of the '60's was 51 years ago and at that time few "children would have trained making an 18 year old in '69 ....68 years old today.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
That is radically different from my ITF school doing it once a month. Not that it matters in the end since you have do it for black belt gradings anyway.... but I'm surprised you did it that often.

In my dojang we've always done it at least once per week. But since I attended the Kukkiwon Master Instructor Course in Korea in 2016, they made a big thing of the new self-defence syllabus. So we've made a conscious effort to ensure we do it most sessions, to ensure the next generation of Taekwondoin grow up with self-defence as a core part of what we do, not just an "every so often we did this weird thing". My feelings on the matter...

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don't know if many any on this board go back that far since the lat year of the '60's was 51 years ago and at that time few "children would have trained making an 18 year old in '69 ....68 years old today.

Understood. I studied TKD about 65-66 in Washington, DC. The instructor was a 6th Dan and quite a good teacher as well as an accomplished martial artist. If there was any grappling, such as in forms or step defenses, it wasn't taught as such.

Latest Discussions