How Much Do You Train?

dungeonworks

Black Belt
Reaction score
Paulus,

I get the same issue if I eat too much "simple sugars" in my diet...especially with the coffee and caffienated diet pop that is my gaff! LOL You will sleep very soundly if you limit your simple carbs such as breads (refined flour whitebread namely), sugars, sweets, potatoes, beer, candy...ect. Stress can do it to ya too.

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If You do some deep breathing meditation before bed while playing some slow music?

Paulus,

I get the same issue if I eat too much "simple sugars" in my diet...especially with the coffee and caffienated diet pop that is my gaff! LOL You will sleep very soundly if you limit your simple carbs such as breads (refined flour whitebread namely), sugars, sweets, potatoes, beer, candy...ect. Stress can do it to ya too.

dungeonworks

Black Belt
Reaction score
If You do some deep breathing meditation before bed while playing some slow music?

I usually will read or watch something on Discovery or Nat. Geo. channel. It only happens periodically these days because i limit my simple sugar intake. That creates a natural "fatigue" if you will. I been a midnight shifter for so long and that plays into it a lot.

Thanks Yoshiyahu.

Eru Ilúvatar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
From looking at the table of contents on Amazon, it looks like these books are training guides (they look good). Were you able to incorporate any of the exercises into your training Eru?

Sure, quite a few actualy. Some speed, power and stamina exercises are pretty good. Plus the guy realy studied how to "pull" the most out of your body. He did some pretty good things for getting strength but not getting "bulky" muscles and thus avoided getting slower while getting stronger. I also liked a techinque or two and have adopted them. He doesn't realy discover anything new or something. But it's the way he combines and uses diffrent things and knowledge from diffrent fields and makes them work together is pretty great. He was into anything and everything that could improve him as a martial artist.

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Are you speaking of the Bruce Lee Books Fighting Method?

His books are pretty informative...He even deals with Iron Fingers techniques! His books are called Bruce Lee's Fighting Method Volumes 1-4

all.jpg

These two books are very Traditional

0897501128.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
wing-chun-kung-fu-book-cover.jpg

Also these are some good books as well to have for your library!

36690006qi6.gif

Eru Ilúvatar;1104848 said:
Sure, quite a few actualy. Some speed, power and stamina exercises are pretty good. Plus the guy realy studied how to "pull" the most out of your body. He did some pretty good things for getting strength but not getting "bulky" muscles and thus avoided getting slower while getting stronger. I also liked a techinque or two and have adopted them. He doesn't realy discover anything new or something. But it's the way he combines and uses diffrent things and knowledge from diffrent fields and makes them work together is pretty great. He was into anything and everything that could improve him as a martial artist.

AMP-RYU

Black Belt
Reaction score
I work out 5 hours a day, 6 days a week! Yes I know that instruction is not always the hardest workout but it is still a workout! I do all my stretches,kicks,blocks and forms every class. So I probably workout 30 hours a week or so!
icon10.gif
Before I was a full time instructor I worked out 3 hours a day 6 days a week. 2 hours a night in TKD, and 1 hour or so in Capoeria. I also"when its warm" jog to the school and home everyday. About a mile and half one way!
icon10.gif
Also keep in mind that this is my full time job and I put in alot more time than most can. So dont feel discuraged. I think that 2 hours a night 3 times a week for starters is plenty of workout time. Hope I was of some help.

My schedule:
jog to class 15 min.
work on new material 60 min. 3:00pm
little dragons 30 min. 4:00pm
little ninjas 30 min. 4:30pm
childrens class 60 min. 5:00pm
family class 60 min. 6:00pm
adult class 60 min. 7:00pm
kickboxing 60 min. 8:00pm
jog home 15 min. 9:00pm

Eru Ilúvatar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Wow, truly impresive :) Hey, I was googling World AMP-RYU Association and Amp ryu(guessing it's Karate becouse of the "ryu"?) but I can't seem to find anything... Could you please tell me something about it? Also whats your ranking in TKD? And if you're not to bothered with all this questions... :) There was a discussion going on another thread about TKD and I would love to hear from someone who trains as much as you do about how you feel about TKD as street defence? And how has it worked for you on the street?

Thanks in advance!

AMP-RYU

Black Belt
Reaction score
Eru Ilúvatar;1106400 said:
Wow, truly impresive :) Hey, I was googling World AMP-RYU Association and Amp ryu(guessing it's Karate becouse of the "ryu"?) but I can't seem to find anything... Could you please tell me something about it? Also whats your ranking in TKD? And if you're not to bothered with all this questions... :) There was a discussion going on another thread about TKD and I would love to hear from someone who trains as much as you do about how you feel about TKD as street defence? And how has it worked for you on the street?

Thanks in advance!

Actually you really wont find anything on the world amp ryu assoc. its my personal independent school. I learned in the world youn wha ryu assoc. but big business maid me decide to go independent. AMP-RYU means
Absolute Mind Power- Ryu is japanese for school. Its actually really a mixed style. Not specifically TKD. I have incorporated some karate(more use of hands)not limiting feet of course, BJJ, capoeria(acrobatics)and alot of just plain street self defense, among other things I learn and feel necessary to add. My current ranking is 4th degree black belt, and I plan on staying here for a long time. dont really feel the need to advance. As far as street self defense and tkd, I feel it is just as effective as any other martial art...that is not using it at all!:asian: But if a trained person ever did have to use it, your legs are longer than your opponants arms! Not to mention 10 times stronger. A street fight between the untrained and a tkd artist should in my opinion be over in less than 30 seconds. Always let your opponant be the aggressore, when they come in to jab at you weakly, roundhouse to the ribs!(fight over!) All this said I dont think anyone without atleast a years worth of training should ever try to defend themselves with the martial arts( because they have not yet learned how to use their art without thinking about it and that is how you get hurt. Also they have not yet learned how to use their head to get out of a fight before it happens and could seriously hurt someone. You have to have a degree of self control!:asian: I hope I have been helpful if you have anymore questions just hollar.

Eru Ilúvatar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thanks, I realy liked your post!

Always let your opponant be the aggressore, when they come in to jab at you weakly, roundhouse to the ribs!(fight over!)

Thats something I like to do just instead of a Dollio or something I use a Yeop chagi to the knee(as a stop kick) or to the mid area(bladder or stomach).

I hope I have been helpful if you have anymore questions just hollar.

Yes, very helpful thanks! Since you mention, I would like to know are you ITF or WTF out of curiosity :)

Sounds like a cool school you have there! Got any videos?

AMP-RYU

Black Belt
Reaction score
Eru Ilúvatar;1106447 said:
Thanks, I realy liked your post!

Thats something I like to do just instead of a Dollio or something I use a Yeop chagi to the knee(as a stop kick) or to the mid area(bladder or stomach).

Yes, very helpful thanks! Since you mention, I would like to know are you ITF or WTF out of curiosity :)

Sounds like a cool school you have there! Got any videos?

Im neither part of the ITF or WTF but my grandmaster was involved in both. Just dont think that a foreign assoc. helps your training with a piece of paper saying your part of their org.

I dont have any videos but maybe I could get some!

Eru Ilúvatar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Just dont think that a foreign assoc. helps your training with a piece of paper saying your part of their org.

Nah, nothing like that. It's just I only have experience in WTF and none in ITF but I hear from other people that ITF places more emphasis on hands(and hits to the head are acctualy allowed in turnoments) and that becouse of that WTF is sopposed to have fighters with "better" legs. I would like to point out that I don't want to offend nobody and that I have no experience in ITF that I could make my opinion on-just things I hear. But since you were probably trained in both would you mind shedding some light on this for me? :) Were the ITF hand techniques that you were thought any good? And how does it compare to WTF overall in your opinion?

I dont have any videos but maybe I could get some!

That would be cool! Please let me know if you get any!

Appologies to the TS for hijacking the thread. If it bothers you I can continiu this via PM.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, to get back on the topic about how long you train, i'll admit that I probably should change the name I'm using here from "Geezer" to "Slacker"... or more accurately, "Old Slacker". I'm finding it really hard to train enough to make any progress these days. Reading AMP-RYU's posts makes me nostalgic for the old days, back in the 80's when I taught MA. At least, when you have to lead a class through all the drills several times a week, in addition to your own training, you do keep up on your technique. But even then, splitting my time between martial arts and grad school probably delayed me from completing my degree requirements for about a year.

Nowadays, family, career, and middle age all conspire against me! Not to mention that I'm trying to do three things at once: WT, Eskrima, and a bit of rapier fencing. My wife thinks it's all a bit juvenile. She accused me of being like "Peter Pan". WTF!!! No way! If anything I'd rather be Captain Hook. And let that crock come around my ship... I'll drop him a side of beef wrapped around a powder keg. Ha!

skinters

Blue Belt
Reaction score
for me the question of how much do i train has never been a concern,in as much i look at the quality of that training,quality over quantity eh ?

dont try and copy someone elses training programme stick to your own methods,you wouldnt look like bruce lee or anyone lese if you copied exactly their diet and training regime.

in my veiw bruce lee over trained,he was a little hyperactive,and maybe needed to train more intelligently,where frequency was concerned.

i used to feel guilty if i missed training, but these days it dont bother me,i wait until the mood takes me,and get a much more productive workout,and in fact make quicker gains.

Eru Ilúvatar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Interesting. My WC instructor would say something similar. Allthough I have to dissagree. If two people are of the same skill level then one of the most important factors for the to decide who prevails will surely be speed, stamina, strength and body hardening (simple example beer belly vs sixpack;the guy with the six pack will probably take the punch better). I feel that to ignore the "physical" part of martial arts is silly as it is more or less one half of the whole thing. You got skill and physical atributes.

About not being wise to copy someone else. I agree to a certein degree. For example Bruce Lees JKD was something that not many besides him could make work for them. But that is irrelaven as the whole point of JKD is to make one for yourself. Use what works for you discard what doesn't. That can be just WC for somebody for example. But it is futile to want to embody a style as you will most likely never reach a level of proficiency to such a level that you will use only WC(for example) and WC to the letter in a chaotic street fight. Saying all that I think Bruce Lee was a very knowledgable guy in the context of fitness and martial arts especialy for hes days. And somethings are just smart/good ways of doing/training things no matter if Bruce Lee did it or somebody else. Just coppying for the sake of coppying, I agree, would be silly.

About Bruce Lee overtraining. That again is something my instructor would say :) But I think that there is no such thing when you want to reach martial art proficiency. To me personaly he is one of the biggest inspirations in the martial art world. That maybe a cliche today but exactly that should make one wonder why so many people respect a guy who died in the 70s so much. Again I say that no matter if your fighting style is something completely diffrent like Bruces a book like The tao of Jeet kune do can only help you in one way or the other. I'm sure everybody can find something useful in there!

But yes it's true that one should be more concerned with quality than quantity but I guess it depends on what you deem as quality. As I said correct physical training can only help you in the long run. If your a WC purist guy you should be aware of some things so your relaxnes and speed don't suffer but still. Just imagine:put the best WC guy you know of into the body of Bruce Lee. With hes speed and strength that would be just beutiful :)

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Eru Ilúvatar;1106584 said:
Interesting. My WC instructor would say something similar. Allthough I have to dissagree. If two people are of the same skill level then one of the most important factors for the to decide who prevails will surely be speed, stamina, strength and body hardening (simple example beer belly vs sixpack;the guy with the six pack will probably take the punch better). I feel that to ignore the "physical" part of martial arts is silly as it is more or less one half of the whole thing. You got skill and physical atributes.

Yeah, true, but the skill counts more than the bod. For a lazy old bastard, I've been working pretty hard at getting in shape. I've got the six pack. But the beer-bellied guys I train with can floor me. The joke is I'll make a handsome corpse for a guy in his mid-fifties!

Eru Ilúvatar;1106584 said:
... Just imagine:put the best WC guy you know of into the body of Bruce Lee. With hes speed and strength that would be just beutiful :)

As far as the speed and strength thing goes,,, a few WC/WT guys have been there and done that. Check out what Emin Boztepe looked like in his prime. Beyond ripped... a freakin' monster. Hell, he's still in great condition, and he ain't no spring chicken.

And while on the subject of Bruce Lee, what if he were alive today, and was old, fat and out of shape? Think how that would have messed up his legacy!

OK, enough talk. Now I'm going to do some sit-ups. No, really! I really am.

Eru Ilúvatar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, true, but the skill counts more than the bod. For a lazy old bastard, I've been working pretty hard at getting in shape. I've got the six pack. But the beer-bellied guys I train with can floor me. The joke is I'll make a handsome corpse for a guy in his mid-fifties!

Well to be honest I think thats a bit relative. Bruce Lee for example(and I'm not saying I agree or anything) felt like the physical conditioning is too neglected in the martial arts world and that it is even more important then skill alone. I guess you could argue both ways. Personaly I believe that they are about equal. Not saying that a very skilled person can't defeat a guy twice his size I just think similarly a very good athlete who hasn't trained anything formely but has street experience has a big chance against a very skilled WChunner/guy/whatever who has never been in a fight.

As far as the speed and strength thing goes,,, a few WC/WT guys have been there and done that. Check out what Emin Boztepe looked like in his prime. Beyond ripped... a freakin' monster. Hell, he's still in great condition, and he ain't no spring chicken.

Sure, he's a good example. And has argubly one of the best fighters in WC. I still think that BL was in a better physical shape then Emin in his prime tho :)

And while on the subject of Bruce Lee, what if he were alive today, and was old, fat and out of shape? Think how that would have messed up his legacy!

Yea I heard that argument many times before. Especialy from my instructor. Something like: you want to train something that even when your old and weak you are able to defend yourself. But it seems just silly to me that for that reason you shouldn't exploit your full potential when your young. You should allways strive for the best/the ideal. Sure most people don't have the time to do what for example BL did but thats besides the point. What I want to say is that if you have the time and the opportunity to do both it would be silly to just focus on one and ignore a huge part of the whole thing. Thats the only way to try to reach your FULL potential. But if your an average guy who wants to learn to defend himself and has time 2-3times per week for an hour then that changes things, sure. But even to that guy I would advise to at least do some bean bag punching and pushups once in a while.

Eru Ilúvatar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well to be honest I think thats a bit relative. Bruce Lee for example(and I'm not saying I agree or anything) felt like the physical conditioning is too neglected in the martial arts world and that it is even more important then skill alone. I guess you could argue both ways. Personaly I believe that they are about equal. Not saying that a very skilled person can't defeat a guy twice his size I just think similarly a very good athlete who hasn't trained anything formely but has street experience has a big chance against a very skilled WChunner/guy/whatever who has never been in a fight.

Ok, I reread my post and noticed I wrote some silly things. So to correct my self: skill is a very broad concept and yes it is probably more important then physical training. What I wanted to say was that some phisical atributes could be more useful then techniques alone, not skill. Looks like I wrote to quickly and confused couple of very important concepts. Anyway wouldn't realy like to go on whats more important or whats better just wanted to point out that physical training is an important part of training.

And about the highlighted, I wanted to say:who doesn't have good physical atributes/conditioning(speed,stamina,power) to take a punch.

I would also like to point out that phisical conditioning in WC is also very important. Especialy conditioning the parts involved in WC structure and body alignment. Plus to put physical conditioning even more in WC context, check out articles and videos by Alan Lee on this site: http://www.wingchunnyc.com/. He talks how Ip Man tought that if you want to be a fighter you have to devote yourself to hard physical training aswell. He also mentions some exercises Ip Man made his students do.

Also Paul Vunak puts it well. He says something along the lines that when training to fight all that is important are atributes and that you have to know at wich one your good at and exploit them and also work on those that may not be satisfactory.

I did want to just edit my post but couldn't find the edit button! whats the point that sometimes you can edit and sometimes you can't?! :)

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I saw a Tae Kwon do street sparring match. This young kid form Vietnam was sparring this one old guy who studied TKD from back in the 70's. It was very interesting. The Young kid was very fast and powerful. He through and Axe Kick from out of no where an clock the guy in face and shoulder. The poor guy was able to absorb the blow by use of his hands.
But it was very interesting. Although the young was holding back. You could see he had a lot of power and very fast with his kicks. Had he been really fighting I would feel sorry for the guy on the receiving end of those feet!

Actually you really wont find anything on the world amp ryu assoc. its my personal independent school. I learned in the world youn wha ryu assoc. but big business maid me decide to go independent. AMP-RYU means
Absolute Mind Power- Ryu is japanese for school. Its actually really a mixed style. Not specifically TKD. I have incorporated some karate(more use of hands)not limiting feet of course, BJJ, capoeria(acrobatics)and alot of just plain street self defense, among other things I learn and feel necessary to add. My current ranking is 4th degree black belt, and I plan on staying here for a long time. dont really feel the need to advance. As far as street self defense and tkd, I feel it is just as effective as any other martial art...that is not using it at all!:asian: But if a trained person ever did have to use it, your legs are longer than your opponants arms! Not to mention 10 times stronger. A street fight between the untrained and a tkd artist should in my opinion be over in less than 30 seconds. Always let your opponant be the aggressore, when they come in to jab at you weakly, roundhouse to the ribs!(fight over!) All this said I dont think anyone without atleast a years worth of training should ever try to defend themselves with the martial arts( because they have not yet learned how to use their art without thinking about it and that is how you get hurt. Also they have not yet learned how to use their head to get out of a fight before it happens and could seriously hurt someone. You have to have a degree of self control!:asian: I hope I have been helpful if you have anymore questions just hollar.

Eru Ilúvatar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I saw a Tae Kwon do street sparring match. This young kid form Vietnam was sparring this one old guy who studied TKD from back in the 70's. It was very interesting. The Young kid was very fast and powerful. He through and Axe Kick from out of no where an clock the guy in face and shoulder. The poor guy was able to absorb the blow by use of his hands.
But it was very interesting. Although the young was holding back. You could see he had a lot of power and very fast with his kicks. Had he been really fighting I would feel sorry for the guy on the receiving end of those feet!

To me it's amazing what some people can do with their legs! My brother for example is a black belt in TKD and when he trained he could easily hit me for example with an Naryo Chagi(I think thats what you mean with the Axe kick; the one going down verticaly?) to the head from punching range. And probably faster then I could have kicked him to the mid area! Another thing to think about good kickers; I know a TKD guy who was able to kick a WT practitioner (who was relatively high ranking;had students) in the head when the WT guy knew he was going to be kicked and knew with what leg he was going to be hit and knew it was going to be full speed.

Latest Discussions