How many of you Muay Thai folks do boxing as well?

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, for those here doing Muay Thai, do you also do Boxing? Same gym or a different gym?

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
For about 2 months I was taking a "Kickboxing" class at a place that specialized in security training and law enforcement preparation. The kickboxing consisted mostly of Muay Thai and western-style Boxing, with bits of other things thrown in from the instructor's experience. The way it was taught to me, the footwork for boxing and Thai boxing was identical (excluding kicks of course).

Then I moved, so I haven't been there in over a month. But I'd continue to train there, given the chance.

Well before that, when I lived in yet another area, there were two major boxing gyms in town, and both of them offered Muay Thai instruction. In fact, come to think of it, I think every gym I've heard of in this country that teaches Muay Thai, also teaches Boxing. But not always vice versa.

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My Kru is an ex-boxer so get the best of both worlds....boxing skills depend on your style of fighting though i think...I have a nice left hook that goes down well when someone thinks im going in fot the clinch (")

Selfcritical

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Odin said:
My Kru is an ex-boxer so get the best of both worlds....boxing skills depend on your style of fighting though i think...I have a nice left hook that goes down well when someone thinks im going in fot the clinch (")

I get the impression that most American MT places teach straight western boxing as the handwork, because the original MT methods of hand striking were........less than optimal compared to it's other components.

Sagat

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Selfcritical said:
I get the impression that most American MT places teach straight western boxing as the handwork, because the original MT methods of hand striking were........less than optimal compared to it's other components.

We have a former Thai fighter teaching us at the moment, I've noticed the differance between the way he trains people as opposed to Nick. With the Thai guy all the hand techniques are basically just a set up for a kick,knee,elbow or clinch. Where as with Nick, we tend to throw a punch combination eg. Jab,cross,hook,cross then end with a kick. I disagree that Muay Thai hand techniques are less than optimal, I agree they are much simpler, but the way they fight is just differant to other countries that's all. Don't forget they generally fight with full Muay Thai rules. Oh, and yes my trainer teaches boxing aswell :-] But I only train Muay Thai, although our hand techniques are similar to those taught in Western boxing.

OP
A

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
so for those of you doing both, do you notice much difference in the power generation of both methods? which do you tend to use in Muay Thai?

I tend to notice that Muay Thai fighters tend to punch more from the shoulders, not shifting the weight to the lead leg as much, which makes sense as it is a big target and taking a kick with weight on it sucks, as does trying to put weight on it after a few good kicks. Other differences as well, but that's one of the more apparent ones IMO.

Sagat

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I think it really depends on which punching method you get used to. I find I lean into the jab a bit sometimes with my upper body [jabbing from my shoulder] cause I'm a skinny bastard and I sometimes need as much weight as I can get, obviously not to the point that I'm off balance but just enough to stiffen my jab more. I honestly haven't analysed my own habits before, hmmmm........

Selfcritical

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Sagat said:
I think it really depends on which punching method you get used to. I find I lean into the jab a bit sometimes with my upper body [jabbing from my shoulder] cause I'm a skinny bastard and I sometimes need as much weight as I can get, obviously not to the point that I'm off balance but just enough to stiffen my jab more. I honestly haven't analysed my own habits before, hmmmm........

I was refering to the fact that thai boxing doesn't natively have any linear hand striking...like most southeast asian styles, anglular striking that was based off of weapon strikes was the norm. Hence the backfists and what have you. At this point the basic delivery system is assimilated to such a high degree that it's kind of a moot point.

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Selfcritical said:

kind of.....I just watched dekkers and thought hmmmmmm maybe i should punch like that.("o)

Hannya

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I was talking with my trainer the other day, he said that when he was fighting (10 years ago) he never lost to a thai because of their hands. They favor a kicking style and put their hands way out so as long as you had a decent hook it was over. I always thought it was awkward when I seen the stance in videos, but I guess it gives you better positioning for a clinch. Im curious how many fight like this, and also how many use the square stance?

wee_blondie

Blue Belt
Reaction score
:samurai: Dunno if any of you have tried Kali (or similar) but I'm just getting into it after my instructor suggested that the stick fighting would improve my hand work. Seems to work for some of the guys, using a stick gets your hands/arms/shoulders moving really fast and your reaction times get quicker too.

Anyone else tried it??

PS Its also really fun to do the whole jedi thing!!!! :rofl: :jedi1: