How many of you have trained in the same country that a MA was created?

kitkatninja

Blue Belt
Reaction score
How many of you have trained in the same country that a Martial Art was created?

This isn't one of those threads where you've gone searching for the origin of your martial art for deeper meaning, self-realisation or wanting to be trained by a native (I mean those may be good reasons, but this thread isn't one of those that is questioning this)... But just a "yeah" I've trained in X (martial art) and in X (where it was created)...

Out of all the arts over the years, I guess I can say 2:

1. Ishinryu Karate from England, created by Ticky Donovan - it was created by a combination of Wado ryu, Kyokushinkai and Shotokan (so it has roots in Japanese karate). And

2. British Kickboxing from England, created by Alex Barrowman - it was derive from Lau Gar Kung Fu (so has roots in Chinese martial arts).

It's funny, cause I lived in the US from the mid-80's to the early 90's, grew up with Van Damme, TMNT, etc and never tried out freestyle karate or American Kickboxing (well until I returned to the UK) or American karate/Kenpo karate, did do a bit of wrestling in JHS, but only as it was part of PE and even that was forced... I've lived in the Phillipines and never even knew about Balintawak/Arnis (again, only when I returned to the UK)... As well as Germany, where I didn't even know that there was something called Ringen am schwert ("grappling at the sword") - part of HEMA (again, only found this out when I returned to the UK)... Did find out about Bartitsu from the UK, but missed the hands on exhibition that was local me to (haven't seen any more since then)...

So what about you?

*hopefully I have posted this in the correct forum part and
**this is just for interest and for conversation :)

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
raise hand.png Me... but I can't say that has helped increased my skills.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have. But it probably does’t mean much to this thread because my main style has always been American Karate.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Ishinryu Karate from England, created by Ticky Donovan - it was created by a combination of Wado ryu, Kyokushinkai and Shotokan (so it has roots in Japanese karate). And

2. British Kickboxing from England, created by Alex Barrowman - it was derive from Lau Gar Kung Fu (so has roots in Chinese martial arts).

Yes as I live here, I've even trained with Ticky Donovan a long time ago.

Never heard of 'British' kickboxing though! Alex Barrowman's organisation is the British Chinese Kickboxing Association. Alex Barrowman

OP
kitkatninja

kitkatninja

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yes as I live here, I've even trained with Ticky Donovan a long time ago.

Never heard of 'British' kickboxing though! Alex Barrowman's organisation is the British Chinese Kickboxing Association. Alex Barrowman

Yeah... Did kickboxing under his association many years ago... Also did kickboxing under the PKA, which is from the US (but wasn't living there at the time)...

Lucky you... Never got to train with him or to be honest any founder of any martial art... :(

View attachment 22027 Me... but I can't say that has helped increased my skills.

I can't say that it's increased my skills of trying/studying a martial art in a place it originated as well, but I can't say that not studying another martial art hasn't :)

Just thought that I'd start this thread as there were a few thread that questioned about going to Japan to studying karate or China to study Kung Fu, etc...

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lucky you...

I am but I'm also old hence knowing a lot of the 'oldtime' karateka :D

My karate style is Wado Ryu, I didn't get to train with the founder though he was still alive but I did train with direct students of his.
About 20 years ago or so when MMA was still very young I got involved with it which was cool, or so my younger friends tell me.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many of you have trained in the same country that a Martial Art was created?

This isn't one of those threads where you've gone searching for the origin of your martial art for deeper meaning, self-realisation or wanting to be trained by a native (I mean those may be good reasons, but this thread isn't one of those that is questioning this)... But just a "yeah" I've trained in X (martial art) and in X (where it was created)...

Out of all the arts over the years, I guess I can say 2:

It's funny, cause I lived in the US from the mid-80's to the early 90's, grew up with Van Damme, TMNT, etc and never tried out freestyle karate or American Kickboxing (well until I returned to the UK) or American karate/Kenpo karate, did do a bit of wrestling in JHS, but only as it was part of PE and even that was forced... I've lived in the Phillipines and never even knew about Balintawak/Arnis (again, only when I returned to the UK)... As well as Germany, where I didn't even know that there was something called Ringen am schwert ("grappling at the sword") - part of HEMA (again, only found this out when I returned to the UK)... Did find out about Bartitsu from the UK, but missed the hands on exhibition that was local me to (haven't seen any more since then)...

So what about you?

*hopefully I have posted this in the correct forum part and
**this is just for interest and for conversation :)
Nope. I can't train my primary art in Japan (country of origin) as it is no longer practiced/taught there as far as anyone knows. Though an instructor here in the states has been trying to figure a way to get a dojo started back in Hokkaido prefecture, where the founder lived.

The closest I could come would be to train in Japan in either Daito-ryu or a near cousin off-shoot, like Yoshinkan Aikido. In any case, I don't think it's likely I'd do that. I don't see a lot of value in training in any specific country, especially where I don't speak the language. Perhaps if NGA actually existed, I'd be interested just to find out how it had progressed differently in Japan.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I lived in Okinawa for a year and change back in the 1980s. I worked with Angi Uezu, one the heads of Isshinryu (not to be confused with Ishinryu). However, I did not train at that time.

It was not until 2007 that I started training in Isshinryu, in the USA. I do wish I had started younger. Oh well.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I lived in Okinawa for a year and change back in the 1980s. I worked with Angi Uezu, one the heads of Isshinryu (not to be confused with Ishinryu). However, I did not train at that time.

It was not until 2007 that I started training in Isshinryu, in the USA. I do wish I had started younger. Oh well.
Don't you sometimes just want to ask your younger self exactly what the heck he was thinking?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don't you sometimes just want to ask your younger self exactly what the heck he was thinking?

Yes and then again no. So many seemingly small choices would have changed the arc of my life, and I feel amazingly happy and blessed to be where I have arrived. I'd love to have made better choices, yet it was all of that which put me here.

If I could change anything, it would be to have been less hurtful to others.

D

Deleted member 39746

I technically looked at a boxing lesson which would have been based on English styles etc. and i technically have done the U.K derivatives of TKD. (as in TAGB and GTUK)

also that Chinese kickboxing thing is confusing as hell to me. I cant navigate their website for anything.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
also that Chinese kickboxing thing is confusing as hell to me. I cant navigate their website for anything

It works for me, are you on a mobile, sometimes they don't like websites.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
My first experiences in martial arts were about 3 years training in something called Aam-Ka-Jutsu. Learned some kata, did some sparring. It was a pretty neat school in that there were always guys training there who were ranked in other styles, so we'd do some eskrima, some judo, some aikido. One guy was a TKD instructor. Actually found my way into BJJ as a result. Aam-Ka-Jutsu is a brand of American Karate.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Trained for many years in Can-ryu jiu jitsu, a style developed by Georges Sylvain in the mid 60's. Have done a few seminars with Georges Sylvain, however the majority of my time was with one of his senior students, John Therien, and his instructors. They were also instrumental in PKA kickboxing, as John Therien was given Man of the Decade award for his promotional abilities, as well as being the coach of Jean-Yves Theriault.

D

Deleted member 39746

Ah i do have a question about the BCKA, is it just striking or do they allow sweeps etc in their sparring? The footage i have seen makes me believe its just striking.

Latest Discussions