How many chain punches can you throw in one second?

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
How many chain punches can you guys do in one second. I'm talking ones that go all the way back to your chest and out again.
Try and be honest, im estimating with out proper equipment that i can almost do five in one second. How about you gentlemen and ladies.

brocklee

Purple Belt
Reaction score
How many chain punches can you guys do in one second. I'm talking ones that go all the way back to your chest and out again.
Try and be honest, im estimating with out proper equipment that i can almost do five in one second. How about you gentlemen and ladies.

Punches shouldn't go all the way back to the chest and I believe 5 would be impossible to do AND to count being that the hand works faster then the eye. I don't even think its possible for a human to count to 5 in one second without drooling

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
...I don't even think its possible for a human to count to 5 in one second without drooling

And if you can, ....then try counting that fast in Cantonese! LOL.

Seriously, though, there's nothing wrong with challenging yourself to be ever more relaxed and quick. But who really cares if you think you can do five, seven (William Cheung), ten,...or even more in a second. The quality of your punches and how you can apply them against an opponent are what matter.

brocklee

Purple Belt
Reaction score
And if you can, ....then try counting that fast in Cantonese! LOL.

Seriously, though, there's nothing wrong with challenging yourself to be ever more relaxed and quick. But who really cares if you think you can do five, seven (William Cheung), ten,...or even more in a second. The quality of your punches and how you can apply them against an opponent are what matter.

Absolutely right :D why throw 10 when you can throw 1 that does 2 jobs at once and has a better outcome

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

All the way back to the chest? Why? When 1 inch, 1 punch will do... :uhyeah:

Are you seeking bragging rights here or is there a point to the "how fast you can punch?"

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
we practise speed punching to learn how to relax and speed up and to build stamina... so no harm in making it a little interesting by way of a challenge.:angel:

matsu

BlueVino

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
How many chain punches can you guys do in one second.

It's hard to count for just one second, so I just threw chain punches while watching the clock for 5 seconds, and I did 31. Call it between 5 and 6 a second.

How many can you do properly at that pace without stopping? I figure I can roll maybe two hundred and fifty before my technique starts to drop off from fatigue.

Cheers,
Trueblood

OP
mook jong man

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Your faster than me mate and i can only hold that speed for a couple of seconds till my shoulders start locking up. You sir are a machine.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I can throw 200, but don't tell anyone (lol)

I mean be serious guys...

I have a yellow belt in my class who can chain punch very fast but it doesn't meant that he is a good martial artist. i would pit my one punch against most people's twenty punches

I also don't agree that chain punch should be used as a realistic teqhnique - just as a muscle trainer, buliding up good power in your arms for that one hit.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Absolutely right :D why throw 10 when you can throw 1 that does 2 jobs at once and has a better outcome
I kinda like/live by something Ark Y Wong said: If it's not over in three moves, step back and see what you're doing wrong. :D

qwksilver61

Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree with the earlier fella,relaxation,stamina,besides who here has not had to stop mid-drift to change techniques and adapt according to their opponent by way of feeling rather than just blasting though? Just my two cents.....ok I went off course again,me bad

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
surely you can power on thru if you have your opponent in retreat!!

and by building your stamina from using this technique(competetion) you have the reserve to continue throwing techniques-chain punches or adaptations.
i am constantly being taught that it is multi techniques which almost alone make WC so effective.??

matsu

qwksilver61

Black Belt
Reaction score
OK, the least number of techniques to achieve the best results in the shortest amount of time,think of it like a sort of dance between you and your opponent,hence two man sets,wall bag drills, Chi Sau etc,etc.I for one do not see chain punching as a fix all,but it is rapidly effective.Yes,you are right by adapting to your opponent in the heat of battle.Two cents...hey Mr. Matsu,were you the fella starting mook jong training per chance?How is that going?OK back to the subject matter...not too many probably a couple.

brocklee

Purple Belt
Reaction score
After the first 200 and getting fatigued, you should start throwing out some proper punches. You're form gets better the more tired your muscles get because you shouldn't be using muscles. Once you've gotten to the point where arms cant throw any more, keep forcing them out. You'll get to a breaking point and then realize that it doesn't require any effort to throw out a punch. It just takes will and joint torquing. So punch punch punch till you can't punch anymore and watch how fast you end up perfecting your form. Get to the point where you're throwing 800-1200 a night and you'll develop an elasticity between your shoulder blades that seem to spit the punches out for you.

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
hey brocklee
yep i think i,ll work with that program start building upto 200+punches.
am bit pi##d off as not had time to practise anythingsince thursday with work committments etc.

qwik- yep that was me,still awaiting the guy on the dummy and happy to work just the wallbag for now. so much to learn already. have become a lil more patient after talking to master james.

matsu

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score

Video it and post it here through Youtube or Google Video so we can see exactly what you mean in terms of form and timing.

brocklee

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Video it and post it here through Youtube or Google Video so we can see exactly what you mean in terms of form and timing.

Is it easy to upload videos on youtube? What does it require? I've been wanting to put some up there

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is it easy to upload videos on youtube? What does it require? I've been wanting to put some up there

It is very easy. Just move the videos out of your camera and into a file in your computer, then go to one of those sites and follow the directions.

AoG