how many bjj gi's do you own?

OldManJim

Orange Belt
Reaction score
And with the exception of multiple classes a week and needing a fresh go, why do you own the number you have? And what is your favorite?

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think I have four gis at the moment. Three of them are the cheapest I could find but my newest is a nice custom gi that my teacher bought for me (and the other instructors at our gym) for Christmas.

I train 4-5 days per week, so it's good to have spare gis when I don't have a chance to do laundry right away.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
None. I just gave away a couple used ones that were in really good shape. I don't go to a BJJ place at the moment so when I roll I wear karate gi pants and a t-shirt.

Probably going to start up again later in the year and will get a nice fresh new one. :)

OP
O

OldManJim

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Well Mrs Jim is probably gonna make me wear the one my coach just ordered until Christmas because of one too many hobbies(anyone want to buy the guitar lol) so I thought I would get some fodder lol

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have too many. Way too many. I have been trying to give away the ones I hardly use anymore over time to get down to that nice number of around four or five.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have one currently. I did have two but sold one when I left my old school. It had the school's logo on it and was a little small for me anyways. I'm probably going to pick up a second one again in a month or so here. I should be with this gym for the next few years so was thinking of getting one of their gis. I always throw it into the wash as soon as I get home so it's never really a cleanliness issue. I'll admit that I am a pretty heavy sweater... So I couldn't imagine just waiting until laundry day to wash mine. All kinds of funk would be coming from it and it may just grow into something sentient.

Last edited:

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
8. I teach multiple classes daily so I need 2-3 clean ones per day unless just kids classes. Storm gi's in many weights. Prefer Roots gi's but have to wear schools gi.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Three. One is actually an old Judo gi.

My original gi is falling apart though, so I need to buy another one. Anyone up for recommending one?

It has to be white without any thing on the back.

Old Judoka

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
And with the exception of multiple classes a week and needing a fresh go, why do you own the number you have? And what is your favorite?

I have two standard white Fuji Judo Gi's (yes, Wizard sleeves) kind of heavy but they will hold up in either Judo or BJJ forever. BTW, $50 bucks on amazon.

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
Too many, though I just sold a few on Ebay. I had some from when I was training at Gracie Barra, and they make you buy their gi's. I had some which are cheaper that I bought when I first started and didn't want to spend too much not being sure I would stick with it. And now that I am sure I am sticking with it and am no longer with GB I am in the process of getting some summer weight Gi's that will work better where I live (South Texas). I tried a couple that ended up not fitting me well through the seat and legs, so it has been a bit of trial and error in that regards.

At the end of the day, my plan is to have three summer weight Gi's that I can rotate through in a given week. That should be fine.

NCRonin

White Belt
Reaction score
As a blue belt with 5-6 years of training I've figured out that one Gi so best of you have 1 or more days in between classes (that way you can buy a nicer Gi and hang dry it) but if your days are back to back you need at least two.

At the moment I have 1 (a Fuji) that is honestly the best bang for the buck I've ever owned.

One thing that really helps with keeping them clean is wearing under armor (rash guards) both on your legs and torso. Yes they really heat you up but that just makes it easier when rolling without them. And keeping most of you sweat off the Gi will extend its life exponentiall, particularly if it's white.

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have two standard white Fuji Judo Gi's (yes, Wizard sleeves) kind of heavy but they will hold up in either Judo or BJJ forever. BTW, $50 bucks on amazon.

I have two of those as well. They are a great value, but man do they fill up with sweat, and the sleeves stretch quite a bit when rolling.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I know I am talking to you from history and but how do / did you get along with one only? thank you :)

I dont wear it that often. twice a week is gi.

I do own a bit of licra though.

(Wait. if I did kempo that would be full time training in a gi. Mabye I should get a spare.)

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
I just got a Fuji Elemental the other day, and so far I am really liking this Gi. It's super lightweight, close to their Suparaito (except for not having ripstop pants), which is fine by me. Being in South Texas, the weight is important due to the heat. The pants are loose, which some won't like due to making it easier to get grips, but honestly I am more concerned about being able to move than I am that. Way too many Gi's are too tight across the seat and thighs.

In addition, the design is totally classic and understated, so I don't look like a NASCAR ad, which I like as well. I hope this move towards less is more in terms of branding in BJJ Gi's is a trend.

FUJI Elemental BJJ Gi Blue #5562

Latest Discussions