The Conflict of Gi vs No Gi

GreatSayiaman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I was always wondering why there is always a conflict between the practitioners who like the train in the Gi and the Practitioners that only train No Gi. Never understood and never got it.

I do train in a gym that is primarily No Gi but they started to have Gi classes at the gym. and I have trained at Schools where they do train in Gi and No Gi. Personally I love both aspects of the BJJ Game.

Anyone know why this is when it comes to this issue within the BJJ community???

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The MA skill that you apply on summer sandy beach is different from the MA skill that you apply on winter ski slope. You need to know how to take advantage on your opponent's clothes. Your skill also should not depend on your opponent's clothes.

CrazedChris

Green Belt
Reaction score
No idea. I do know that we are setting up a new dojo soon and the sensei said we mus have our gis on, or at least the pants, with a tshirt, during the super hot months.

OP
GreatSayiaman

GreatSayiaman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Are they at each other’s throats? I hadn’t heard this.

Its like the community from the more traditional Brazilian side of the community say train the Gi and it improves your No Gi Game. While the more Modern side of things ie 10th Planet JJ say the Gi is worthless get rid of the Japanese Superhero outfit. That is the conflict im talking about

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Its like the community from the more traditional Brazilian side of the community say train the Gi and it improves your No Gi Game. While the more Modern side of things ie 10th Planet JJ say the Gi is worthless get rid of the Japanese Superhero outfit. That is the conflict im talking about
Well, how heated is the debate, really?

oldwarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score

It not a super hero outfit ...

I am fairly sure when the Gi was first introduced (Kano i think if memory serves ) the people still studying in Kimono would have had issues and probably vice versa so isn't a new thing and as one reply said ...it just a way of saying they think there way is the best lol.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, how heated is the debate, really?
Not at all. Most BJJ practitioners do both. A minority specialize. 10th Planet is the only association I know who don’t do gi at all, but I’ve never seen them bad-mouth those who do train in the gi.

Really, the only argument is for those who train just for competition, and who choose to only compete in one format (gi or no-gi), is there an advantage to sometimes training in the other format or should you stick strictly to the way you plan to compete? Opinions differ, but I’ve never met anyone who got mad about it.

For those who train BJJ as a martial art, the answer is to train both. For those who train as a sport, but like some variety in your tournaments, then the answer is again both.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not at all. Most BJJ practitioners do both. A minority specialize. 10th Planet is the only association I know who don’t do gi at all, but I’ve never seen them bad-mouth those who do train in the gi.

Really, the only argument is for those who train just for competition, and who choose to only compete in one format (gi or no-gi), is there an advantage to sometimes training in the other format or should you stick strictly to the way you plan to compete? Opinions differ, but I’ve never met anyone who got mad about it.

For those who train BJJ as a martial art, the answer is to train both. For those who train as a sport, but like some variety in your tournaments, then the answer is again both.
And Eddie Bravo does a lot in gi pants just no gi top.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

:)

Deafdude#5

Green Belt
Reaction score
I couldn’t care either way. I’ve trained with gi and with just a singlet (talk about skimpy).
It’s a mindset issue for me.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I completely get different games however I do not get why most of the BJJ community is at each others throats about Gi vs No Gi

Because one is a pyjama wearing freak who is still living in the 70s and the other is lycra wearing weirdo who thinks he is an Olympic swimmer or something.

Clubs get GI weird though. There are competitions that would not allow my tie dye for example.

Deafdude#5

Green Belt
Reaction score
Interesting. I’d like to see a photo of that tie dye gi.

Did you dye it yourself?

I can’t imagine why that wouldn’t allow it though. Hard core traditionalists?

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's what I tell my students regarding gi vs no-gi ...

Training in the gi is good for your defense. By wearing a gi you have provided your opponent with a whole bunch of sturdy handles they can use to control you. When you go to escape a submission or a bad position, you can't rely on explosiveness or slipperiness - you need good technique and proper leverage.

Training no-gi will sharpen your offense. You don't have convenient handles to control your opponent so you need good technique to keep them from escaping your submissions and dominant positions with explosiveness and slipperiness.

For self-defense, you and your opponent might or might not be wearing sturdy clothing of the sort which allows for gi-centric techniques, so it's good to be prepared for either eventuality.

Latest Discussions