BJJ Gi Requirements?

Reaction score
For general BJJ tournament purposes what are the measurements of the gi sleeve and pant lengths supposed to be? I ask mainly because several of my students and I are non standard sized gi people and would have to get gi's tailored if we wanted to compete. We are not BJJ practitioners but we do incorporate grappling into our training and thought it might be interesting to see how we'd fair within the rule framework of a BJJ tournament.

Ybot

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Here's the rules from the IBJJF web site, which would be what most use, if not a bit more stringent than some. Basically, if you meet these guidelines you're good to go for any BJJ tournament.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ARTICLE 8º - KIMONO[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]COMPETiTORS ARE REQUIRED TO USE KIMONOS UNDER THE FOLLOWING SPECIFICATIONS[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A. Constructed of cotton or similar material and in good condition. The material may not be excessivly thick or hard to the point where it will obstruct the opponent.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]B. Colours may be black, white or blue, no combined colors (white kimono with blue pants, etc.)[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]C. The jacket is to be of suficient length down to the thighs, sleeves must reach the wrist with arms extended in front of the body. The sleeve should follow the oficial measures according to CBJJ, and IBJJF.From the shoulder to the wrist.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]D. Belt width 4-5cm, with colour corresponding to rank tied around the waist with a double knot , tight enough to secure the kimono closed.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]E. Athletes are not permitted to compete with torn kimonos, sleeves or pants that are not of propper length or with t-shirts underneath the kimono (except in the female divisions).[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]F. Is not allowed to use paint kimonos, except for the teams.

So, I took the refferee course, and have competed on numerous occasions. They have a wooden tool they use to check the gi.
[/FONT]
jiu-jitsu-gi-checker-tool.jpg

They use the gap in the tool to check the thickness of the lapel. The slot cut in is marked to make sure you have enough sleeve to grab. I think it is minimum ~2 inches of slack in the sleeve from wrist to armpit wh[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]en the arm is extended straight to the side. The sleeves must not ride up more than four fingers (yeah, I know, it depends on the size of the checkers hand) from the center of the wrist bone that sticks out when the arms are extended straight in front of you. Pants must not ride up more than four finger width when standing from the center of the ankle bone.

Patches are only allowed in the following areas:

[/FONT]
kimono_regra.jpg
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You should know that your weight is taken with the gi on and that you need to have enough sleeve width for your wrist and roughly 4 fingers(additional). Any patches that are ripped will be removed before competition.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So, are either black, blue, or white acceptable for new students, or is that generally up to the instructor?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
So, are either black, blue, or white acceptable for new students, or is that generally up to the instructor?
Going to depend on your school. Some schools don't care at all. Others are more strict.

My advice, either way, is to stick with blue or white gis until you've been at your school long enough to wear a blue belt. By then, you'll know the guys at the school and will have a better sense of what's what.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
This thread was 12 years ago, I'm pretty sure they found a gi already.
Muay Thai Insider has made 3 posts on MT, and all three were product placements. MMA gloves, resistance bands, gi. Cha-ching.

Writing, meet wall.

Latest Discussions