How does kungfu stick work compare with other styles? and beggar style?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
possibly the walking stick or hard whip (bian?)?
I know in Chow Gar we have a rattan walking stick form as part of our weapon sets

I had hand carried back a big bundle of rattan material from Taiwan back to US. I'm very familiar with that material. I truly don't think the rattan material can be use to "kill". If any weapon cannot be used to kill, by definition, it's not a weapon.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I had hand carried back a big bundle of rattan material from Taiwan back to US. I'm very familiar with that material. I truly don't think the rattan material can be use to "kill". If any weapon cannot be used to kill, by definition, it's not a weapon.

You might want to talk to an Eskrima guy about that...and your definition is flawed. a chair, a rolled up newspaper and a set of keys can all be a weapon for self defense....nowhere in the definition of weapon is "kill" used to define it and changing the definition just to be right is not acceptable, sorry

a weapon is something that is used for fighting or attacking someone or for defending yourself when someone is attacking you...that would be the definition.... It is also defined rather similarly in multiple state penal codes....

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
...It is also defined rather similarly in multiple state penal codes....
Canadian Criminal Code:

“Weapon” means any thing used, designed to be used or intended for use
(a) in causing death or injury to any person, or
(b) for the purpose of threatening or intimidating any person
and, without restricting the generality of the foregoing, includes a firearm.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Rattan is a training tool, not a fighting weapon. Sure, you can fight with it, but you wouldn't want to, in FMA weapons are made out of hardwood, horn, or steel.
Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
But if you hit somebody hard in the temple, throat, back of neck, solar plexus, etc. a rattan weapon could kill, right? Of course that goes for any number of things. So, wait, I guess it doesn't take much to kill. So, I guess being able to kill is a ridiculous standard for something being defined as a weapon, huh?