How does a true martial artist react when his mind starts to deceive him?

OP
Draco90x

Draco90x

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
One last thing am waiting to share with my psychiatrist is :

After recovery ,what does happen to the personality , intellect and the logic that ive developped since i was born ?
I mean does these change after going through chemical meds that act on the brain ?

Its just that after going through all this mental challenge make me feel different than i was before , its like i lost the original version of my mind , and living with a modified one.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You are still a young man. I suspect some if not most of the changes you mention are natural. We age, grow, and become wiser to our world and environment. For some the adjustment(s) go un-noticed and they just keep going. For other, they may be more aware of the changes.
I'm certainly no doctor but I suspect any kind of chemical intervention could affect this process. This process of transformation during the natural, normal changes we go through in life. Not the traumatic one's; the one's we all go through as we age and grow.
Hang in there. It is not as big a monster as it may seem like at times.

OP
Draco90x

Draco90x

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You are still a young man. I suspect some if not most of the changes you mention are natural. We age, grow, and become wiser to our world and environment. For some the adjustment(s) go un-noticed and they just keep going. For other, they may be more aware of the changes.
I'm certainly no doctor but I suspect any kind of chemical intervention could affect this process. This process of transformation during the natural, normal changes we go through in life. Not the traumatic one's; the one's we all go through as we age and grow.
Hang in there. It is not as big a monster as it may seem like at times.

Thanks man.

What you said comes to my mind sometimes.
I tell to my self that this will be history when i age more . And that meds only target the organ not the soul.

Its just the worry that intercepts my toughts sometimes . And just like in my other thread
i see that training would help me out with this the same as it did with my previous pains.

Link to my other thread :
Full contact performance (early 20s vs late 20s)

Last edited:

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Its just that after going through all this mental challenge make me feel different than i was before , its like i lost the original version of my mind , and living with a modifi

And so it should, life is a series of challenges, wealth, health and wellbeing, for most, but deep down everybody has to confront a phycological challenge, some are lucky enough only to have to deal with minor challenges, others like yourself more complex challenges. Every challenge we overcome changes us, an upgrade if you will, version 2.1 of you, one thing life and martial arts teaches is human beings are amazing at adaptation, with the right help (which you are getting), you will adapt into the new upgraded you, an upgraded you that can retrofit the parts you require.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I used to teaches classes to federal law enforcement on "The Mind and Dealing With Stressful Situations" and used teach it to my students in the dojo as well.

There's an old proverb, "The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible Master". The mind doesn't like to live in the present, instead, it likes to look back and yearn for better times, or look ahead to worry about the future. That's pretty much all it does, that's it, that's the list.

The choice of what to think about is one of our greatest virtues as people. It just takes practice, continued practice, pretty much like Martial Arts in general. What's easier is - you don't have to get up and go to the dojo on those days you tell yourself you're too tired, you can do it anywhere.

Go research. There's plenty of information available, plenty of mental exercises, games, tasks, methods. By doing so you become an observer, a researcher, a studier rather than a victim of what's inside all of our heads.

Think back to the first day you ever set foot in a dojo, that first class you took, that first time bowing in, that first time trying to properly tie your belt. It's old hat to you now. Everybody goes through the same thing, all the new guys are going through it just like you did. It's the mind trying to grasp what the hell is going on. The mind is not being your servant at this point, it's being your Master, except unlike your Martial Arts master, it's a new white belt that doesn't even have it's first bit of sweat on it, doesn't even know where to put it's thumb when making a fist. All these new feelings of inadequacy- that's the mind fk'ing with you, trying to make you it's beach. Tell it to go F itself, make it put on a proper butler's uniform.

With research and practice it gets easier every year. Honest.