How do you use and train the bridge for fighting!?

Nyro

White Belt
Reaction score
Sadly my training with my Sifu was cut short (USAF), but now I've time to practice again, albeit independent of other Wing Chun students. However, I've been sparring lately, and I've asked my Sifu on this as well, but how does one utilize the bridge in sparring or fighting? I've gotten better at keeping the forward pressure and contact going, and if an opening presents itself I hit, but surely there's more I can do than just deflect until he opens for a hit!

-Nyro

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kind of a broad question.
In Wing Tsun/chun, the best defense is a good offense.
Don't just hang back and let your opponent keep attacking while you wait for an opening.
As he begins his attack, crash in with chain punches. Now you've established the bridge. If he doesn't block your shots, keep hitting. If he does block and or counter attacks, deflect, parry etc and continue to punch over your bridge.
If he kicks, explode in if possible, getting inside his kicking range. If he's quick with his feet that may not be possible. Then stop kick to his kicking leg and step in.
There's a lot of WT/WC to be found out there. Try to find someone to train with even if it means a little traveling.
If unable to find a fellow chunner, look at this as an opportunity to get very good at your basics.
Lots of footwork, wallbag and form.
Good luck.

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
For my lineage,

We always had various training modules to establish a advantageous connecting bridge or (Kiu).

The drills would express Kiu Sau from various angles and different energies.
This was to gain an advantage upon establishing a bridge and train core concepts such as.

Deui Ying- Jeui Ying.

Concepts of "lau" how to flow from one bridge to the next and either end in a Chi Sau time frame or a San Da time frame from when the bridge is no longer established.

Even Centerline (Jung Sin) is addressed.

Of course other than Wing Chun most systems of CMA have some form or concept of Kiu Sau.

Like in Tong Long we use a standing bridge from the forearm placement and train the concept of "Ting Jing" (ting-listen/hear jing- the transmission)

This indicates how we react to the specific energy that is applied.

Thats it in a nutshell for myself without going to indepth.

Hope it provides some idea.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
The main objective is to hit the opponent in the head , hard multiple times so that we are controlling the centreline and guarding our own centreline at the same time.

To attack us the opponent has to deviate from the centerline and try and go around our strikes which leaves him unguarded.
Depending on how the opponent attacks there isn't always going to be a lot of forearm contact , for example say someone takes a pretty wide swing at me .

If I pick up his initial movement quickly then I just move in and hit him with my other arm raised just in case , but the chances are the only contact he is going to feel from me is the punches in his face. This is because he is wide open and it is not necessary for me to do anything else.

On the other hand if I'm trying to punch him in the head and he is obstructing my strikes or throwing his own strikes down the centreline then I am going to have to use my forearms (bridge) to deflect or control.

There is no need to wait for him to have a gap in his defence before you can hit through , you have to make your own gap in his defence.
When you punch and it is obstructed , usually it is the opponent raising his arm up in a feeble attempt to stop the punches.

This means your forearms should be on top of his arms , what you do is which ever of your punches has been stopped , use that arm to rip his arm down .

You do this by bringing your failed strike back into its proper angle , changing it to a Fook Sau and curve your fingers over like a hook dropping your arm straight down over his resisting arm like a brick was hanging from your elbow.

This will clear the path for striking from the other hand , and it can be done in a continuous fashion. It is best done right arm to right arm or left arm to left arm.

If your other arm is in contact , say left arm to his right or your right to his left then instead of doing wrist latching as I described above you can just change your punch to a cut down , as the name says just bring your arm back into the proper angle and keep the angle in your arm as you drop it down on his arm to clear the path.

You can add a little bit more oomph to the cut down if you like by doing it with a pivot. If you find any resistance to your cut down or latch , don't waste time just go around his resistance by Pak Sauing the resisting arm to the side and punch or palm strike down low with your other hand. note (keep hand open when you cut down)

If there guard is about the same height as your guard always try to get your arms on top of theirs as you try and strike through so that you are immediately in a controlling position and can bring leverage to bear.

In the event that they are obstructing or guarding and the position of their hands is higher than your guard then it is more efficient for you to come underneath their arms and try to stick while aggressively moving forward and endeavouring to pierce through their arms with your Tan Sau or off balance them with your Bong Sau and then strike.

This sort of covers the most common positions you will find yourself in.
One way you can practice all the myriad of arm positions that you will find yourself in is to have your partner act a bit like a wooden dummy.

Have your partner hold both his arms out as strong as he can , with a bend in them , at about head height with his fists about six inches apart.
You are now going to start working various techniques from the outside of his first arm .

Then to the inside of both his arms .
Then to the outside of his second arm.
Then work your back to the out side of the first arm again then repeat
Its even better if you can get a second guy to stand next to the first guy with his arms out so that you have four arms to negotiate.

Start off slowly the first couple of times as you work your techniques on the arms , moving from arm to arm , keeping contact as you stick , flow and strike.

Then you should manouver around each arm as fast as you can , controlling and striking with out conscious thought , just keep moving and flowing getting their arms out of the way so that you can strike through.

We are trying to cultivate a reflex of the arms knowing exactly what to do no matter what type of contact we are making with the opponent whether it be our arms on the outside of his or inside or any mix of the two.

The same thing we pretty much are doing in Chi Sau , but this is out of contact range.

I don't know what particular techniques you use in your school , but in any case you should be controlling while you are striking , if he can hit you at the same time you hit him then you are doing it wrong.
Here are some things to get you started.

First Arm Outside
  • use Pak Sau and punch , latch and punch to head
  • or alternatively punch and latch then pivot and palm strike to kidneys
  • Tan Sau and punch then Pak Sau and palm/ punch ribcage.
  • Counter punch then latch etc
  • Or using left arm to his right arm , pierce with Tan Sau on out side of his arm to throat or change it to punch then cut down , pivot and strike with your other hand
Inside Both Arms
  • Raise guard and strike through with Tan Sau / Bong Sau then double latch , then double palm strike.
  • Or alternatively use a double hook punch to the head , doesn't matter really as long as both his arms are controlled as you strike.
Second Arm Outside
  • Same as the first arm but just using your arms the other way around.
  • When your on the out side of his arms make sure you dont just use your right to his right, or your left to his left, use every configuration
These are just a few that you can use there are many , many more and you can even start adding your kicks into the equation at the same time you are using your hands.

Just make sure what ever your doing is direct and efficient , free flowing and that you are controlling the opponents arms as you strike.

Also don't just do one strike per arm as you negotiate through the arms try to do multiple shots with out going overboard and playing around with the arms too much , two or three should suffice , of course this will depend on how fast you are.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sadly my training with my Sifu was cut short (USAF), but now I've time to practice again, albeit independent of other Wing Chun students. However, I've been sparring lately, and I've asked my Sifu on this as well, but how does one utilize the bridge in sparring or fighting? I've gotten better at keeping the forward pressure and contact going, and if an opening presents itself I hit, but surely there's more I can do than just deflect until he opens for a hit!

-Nyro

OK Nyro, I checked your profile and didn't see where you're located. I mention this because the best solution is to find another good Sifu, and there are some out there. Otherwise you are going to have to read all of Mook's post, then re-read it, then read it again. And if you are even a little bit ADD (as I am), that ain't gonna happen. So find a Sifu. People here can help.

graychuan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Attack the attack and 'bridgewalk' as you advance and take up space with a 'jam, wedge,or slice' as with a Man-Sao. Kuen Kuit concepts like 'push, pull and/or jerk' will also help. Dont compromise structure or idea once you bridge. All of your bridging or Kui Sao will be somewhere in the family or idea of a Tan,Bong and/or Fook. Just depends on which bone( radius or ulna) of the forearm you use. This is why they are called the Three Treasures or Three Families.

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score

-Nyro

Wing Chun has 2 really good ways to 'learn' how to utilize the bridge. And it can transfer to your sparring. . . . . . . chi sao of course, and trapping drills (some call it fast hands). Using and getting familiar with chi sao and trapping creates sensitivity and understanding of how and when to move or get your opponents arms or bridge out of the way to strike.

If your sparring partners don't do or understand chi sao, then you can work on some trapping drills. You can start by having your partner throw jabs at you and see how you would pak and enter (trap from outside) or pak and enter (inside). Obviously, from outside is safer and gives you more options.

OP
Nyro

Nyro

White Belt
Reaction score
OK Nyro, I checked your profile and didn't see where you're located. I mention this because the best solution is to find another good Sifu, and there are some out there. Otherwise you are going to have to read all of Mook's post, then re-read it, then read it again. And if you are even a little bit ADD (as I am), that ain't gonna happen. So find a Sifu. People here can help.

I'm currently stationed at the Presidio of Monterey, CA. It's a small town, so all I've found is a BaGuaZhang instructor (Who just returned from vacation, I have a feeling I can learn a thing or two about my Qi from this guy, we shall see), and all the excellent Wing Chun Sifus seem to be up in San Francisco, and I'm a good 2 hour drive from there.

Latest Discussions