Goal of Wing Chun?

Nyrotic

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ok, so I was thinking about something. All these different martial arts usually have one chief goal in combat. For example, Jiu-jutsu would usually try to take an opponent to the ground where he can manipulate their bodies through various locks and grabs. They would achieve this by feinting an opponent and shooting when their guard drops for even a moment. Boxing's goal would be to pummel an opponent to the ground while skillfully dodging or absorbing all of his opponents blows.

Now I ask: What is the goal of Wing Chun in a fight? I've been training in it for several months now, but whenever I spar with my friends every week, I often find myself at a loss, not knowing for sure what my first course of action should be. As a Wing Chunner, should I hang back in my stance, waiting for my opponent to attack my wu sau's then counter from there? Should I quickly bridge the gap with a sun fist and try to 'stick' to my opponent, denying him his range to put my non-momentum-reliant attacks to good use? I'm sure this is something I should ask my Sifu, but that I'll do when next I see him, but for now, I'd like a broad range of opinions, any and all will be a great help.

-Nyro

almost a ghost

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The only thing I can recommend doing is sticking your lines.

Being passive or aggresive depends on your opponent. Sometimes I wait, sometimes I start attacking right off the mark. Again, it depends on your opponent.

What are the rules when you spar your friends? Can you give them mediate pops to the fance? Only hit in certain areas? No contact at all? etc.

In the end the best thing to do is to ask your instructor. You maybe trying to do the completely wrong thing, or trying to do the right thing the wrong way. Then again you've only been practicing for 7months. Believe it or not, Wing Chun won't make you an bad *** fighter over night.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok, so I was thinking about something. All these different martial arts usually have one chief goal in combat. For example, Jiu-jutsu would usually try to take an opponent to the ground where he can manipulate their bodies through various locks and grabs. They would achieve this by feinting an opponent and shooting when their guard drops for even a moment. Boxing's goal would be to pummel an opponent to the ground while skillfully dodging or absorbing all of his opponents blows.

Now I ask: What is the goal of Wing Chun in a fight? I've been training in it for several months now, but whenever I spar with my friends every week, I often find myself at a loss, not knowing for sure what my first course of action should be. As a Wing Chunner, should I hang back in my stance, waiting for my opponent to attack my wu sau's then counter from there? Should I quickly bridge the gap with a sun fist and try to 'stick' to my opponent, denying him his range to put my non-momentum-reliant attacks to good use? I'm sure this is something I should ask my Sifu, but that I'll do when next I see him, but for now, I'd like a broad range of opinions, any and all will be a great help.

-Nyro

The goal of the wing chun training system is for one to learn about one's body and how to use it in its most economical and efficient manner to defend one's self against a larger and stronger aggressor.
The goal of one trained within the wing chun training system is to calmly and purposely, with as much aggression one is able, defend one's self, if attacked, in a direct and efficient manner. How one does that will be based upon one's abilities and attributes and how the aggressor attacks.

As to what your particular course of action should be I cannot determine for I do not know what kind of fighter you are. As a beginner I would advise you to close the gap as quickly as possible and ATTACK, ATTACK, ATTACK. As you grow you will be able to hang back a bit and allow the attacker to make the first move. When sparring against persons with more knowledge and skill you will get hit often but will learn quickly what not to do and when not to do it. From there, if your training partners wants to help you grow they will teach you what they did. During your early growth don't be so eager to be the winner but be the learner. Sparring isn't about winning but about trying new things like positioning, movements, and timing to learn about you. Good luck with your learning.

Danny

gblnking

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The goal of the wing chun training system is for one to learn about one's body and how to use it in its most economical and efficient manner to defend one's self against a larger and stronger aggressor.
The goal of one trained within the wing chun training system is to calmly and purposely, with as much aggression one is able, defend one's self, if attacked, in a direct and efficient manner. How one does that will be based upon one's abilities and attributes and how the aggressor attacks.

As to what your particular course of action should be I cannot determine for I do not know what kind of fighter you are. As a beginner I would advise you to close the gap as quickly as possible and ATTACK, ATTACK, ATTACK. As you grow you will be able to hang back a bit and allow the attacker to make the first move. When sparring against persons with more knowledge and skill you will get hit often but will learn quickly what not to do and when not to do it. From there, if your training partners wants to help you grow they will teach you what they did. During your early growth don't be so eager to be the winner but be the learner. Sparring isn't about winning but about trying new things like positioning, movements, and timing to learn about you. Good luck with your learning.

Danny

Well said.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It is a big misconception to label arts in particular categories

I know plenty of BJJ guys who can fight just as well standing up as on the floor. In fact most will not actually go to ground in a street fight

In UFC you could get away with groundwork as it is one on one. In a streetfight your opponent might have friends, so mounts become high risk

Boxers can strike long range or short range but are usually trained to work through the rounds. If they are faced with a large opponent they will fight differently than if they were faced with a smaller opponent

Wing chun is very well known as a finishing art, ie we want to get in and destroy that individual as quickly and efficiently as possible

We will not go for any special attack or a planned strategy - we hit from where our fists are.

That is why wing chun sparring is difficult or non - existent.

Latest Discussions