How do YOU Train Your Grappling/Groundwork?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We all know, at least I'd hope so, that incorporating ground work into your training is important. We also know that any time ground work or the arts in general come up, we have the TMA vs. MMA type debates. This thread isn't about that. :)

I thought we could discuss how you train your ground work. Do you gear the training for competition, the real world or both?

For myself, I like to mix it up. There are times when I roll and roll and roll, working for submission, so the match turns into one of those 10+ min. grappling matches. There are sessions where I'll work for the quick escape. And there are those sessions where it'll be a bit more realistic and we'll actually strike, target the vitals, etc. Protective gear is not worn, but the match is at a slower pace. For example, if in the mount position, the top person will start to throw strikes, either open or closed hand. As I said, this is done at a slower pace, so even if contact is made, its not hurting the person.

From the side mount, the top guy will work in knees and elbows. The bottom guy may place his hand on or near the others face, or work knees from the bottom.

Basically, it keeps the people involved a bit more in check with what they can/can't do, any openings they may have, etc. :)

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Cuong Nhu includes Aikido and Judo. So, we do LOTS of ground work. Well, the empasis is on avoiding ground work (ie, lock them by the time they're on the ground). And while we do have official Judo-esque Randori rules (only real dif is no points), it is my understanding that few schools actualy USE them. We normally just add basic grappling rules to our sparring. We allow arm and leg catches, sweeps, low throws, take downs, and any lock you can do from a standing. Which are most of Cuong Nhu's locks. At my school, we dont really end on the ground too much. It happens, but not much. And when we do, we tend to not really be in anything that resembles a define position.
Our Randori rules make it so, we'll never do well in a Judo compition, but we'll do just fine in a fight. That's also why few Cuong Nhu schools really stress ground fighting. When we do, well, there are a few Ju Jitsu masters in Cuong Nhu, and they give Seminars at IATC.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Like most school our ground work is learn the basic moves, take downs,mounts,side mounts, arm bars and so on.

BUT when you add street/anythings goes for ground work? VERY little here.

groin strikes/grabs,eye ripping/gouging,biting,pinch,punching,elbow strikes,more biting,hitting,......hard to really practice these techniques for real.

Sports fighting will NOT train your for REAL fighting on the streets. You will always fight the way you train (most times). When the adreline kicks in the mind gets narrow and the thinking too.

Just be aware of this..............YOU WILL FIGHT THE WAY YOU TRAIN!!!

IF you do not practice the real fighting? ......ONE day you will understand this? .............just my thoughts here.......Aloha

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cuong Nhu includes Aikido and Judo. So, we do LOTS of ground work. Well, the empasis is on avoiding ground work (ie, lock them by the time they're on the ground). And while we do have official Judo-esque Randori rules (only real dif is no points), it is my understanding that few schools actualy USE them. We normally just add basic grappling rules to our sparring. We allow arm and leg catches, sweeps, low throws, take downs, and any lock you can do from a standing. Which are most of Cuong Nhu's locks. At my school, we dont really end on the ground too much. It happens, but not much. And when we do, we tend to not really be in anything that resembles a define position.
Our Randori rules make it so, we'll never do well in a Judo compition, but we'll do just fine in a fight. That's also why few Cuong Nhu schools really stress ground fighting. When we do, well, there are a few Ju Jitsu masters in Cuong Nhu, and they give Seminars at IATC.

Cool!! So it sounds like you do a mixture of both sport/street oriented grappling at your school.

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have my BJJ class once a week. We almost always train for the street but we will go over what is acceptable for competitions as well. some times we will roll in t-shirts of no shirts so learn how to control you oppenent if they have nothing to grab on to. Its a pretty good drill and makes you appreciate how much easier it is to control some one when they are wearing a gi.

B

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I teach technique with the realities of physical combat in the technique. I spend alot more time on that as that is more important than rolling for sports competition in my opinion. We also do roll with submissions but of course you have to take the combative technique out and if you do this to much you will burn it into your subconscious which simply is not good. We do roll without submission as well just to exchange position which is always good for teaching body mechanics. Truthfully it is a fine line as if you practice for sport then you may be really unpleasantly surprised if you are fighting for your life. So correct body movement is extremly important and once that is achieved then having the more combative applications of your technique burned into your muscle memory is what we are going for in IRT.

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I learned to grapple from my dad. My freinds and I would get bored and wrestle (especially after watching some UFC back in the day) in the yard. We didn't bother with pins. There was no limb destruction but it was tap-out. We just practiced a lot and got better. We never did a G'n P (the occasional light rib shot) but would raise a fist accordingly. It was, after all, playfighting. I think it gave me a great feel for other people's energy. I also think it's something I'll keep unorthodox.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Cool!! So it sounds like you do a mixture of both sport/street oriented grappling at your school.

Not really sport, but I geuss you could say that. Outside of Florida, few Cuong Nhu schools really do much sport fighting. But man, those Floridian guys are NUTS!

kingkong89

Green Belt
Reaction score
when it comes to groundfighting i practice for competition and for real world. for competition so i can get used to ground fighting in a controlled enviroment. because as we all know most fights especially in high school and college most of the fights end up on the ground anyway and it helps to get to know the ground as well as fighting on your feet

Latest Discussions