how do you suppliment your TKD

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
jfarnsworth said:
It works quite well for me. I've learned much more than I ever thought I would. The art of Kenpo comliments me and my fighting style very well. I have been able to learn and understand the 4 ranges of contact & I'm quite comfortable with all. I did TKD for just over 5 years with my first instructor and been at Kenpo for over 11 now. I also still teach classes for my first instructor from time to time as we keep a good relationship.

Could you campare the differences and simularities for me?

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are many of each. I'll try to do my best.
Differences
Kenpo is much more complex
Kenpo self defense is more indepth - intellectually
Kenpo favors inside and close style fighting
Kenpo has an entire book devoted to basics
Kenpo doesn't kick a lot
Kenpo kicking is generally low
Kenpo generally uses hand techniques
Kenpo forms are harder and more complex with more information than I will ever know in a lifetime
Kenpo has "specific" sets based upon basics. ex. blocking, kicking, striking, finger,stance,coordination,staff,2-man,
TKD has alot more kicks, and kicking combinations
TKD is also powerful, strong, and a hard style primarily based upon kicking and using distance
TKD is excellent for keeping in shape and great overall workouts

These are just some that I thought of off of the top of my head. These are based upon my experiences only from my 2 instructors that I have had.

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
Is there a difference between American Kenpo, and other styles of the same name? What makes it American?

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well there are many different types of Kenpo & Kempo's out there. I have only been associated with Parker's Kenpo and don't know much to anything about the others. Tracy's would be the closest but they broke away from the Parker lineage before he really americanized the art. An american made martial art for americans. Our culture fights differently than other cultures thus the need to standardize a curriculum based upon logic and the web of knowledge. The web of knowledge covers defenses for grabs & tackles, pushes, punches, kicks, hugs & holds, locks & chokes, weapons, & multiples.
Please don't get me wrong I loved TKD when I did it. I competed in many tournaments over those years and met a lot of good people. We trained hard and loved it. For me, when I found Kenpo did everything start to make sense to me. It helped my fighting style as I am only 5'6" and TKD was a little tougher for me. I went to a tournament in 2000 for the first time and my old instructor was there and still coached me through the sparring division. Again, that's why I still teach for him from time to time.

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
jfarnsworth said:
Well there are many different types of Kenpo & Kempo's out there. I have only been associated with Parker's Kenpo and don't know much to anything about the others. Tracy's would be the closest but they broke away from the Parker lineage before he really americanized the art. An american made martial art for americans. Our culture fights differently than other cultures thus the need to standardize a curriculum based upon logic and the web of knowledge. The web of knowledge covers defenses for grabs & tackles, pushes, punches, kicks, hugs & holds, locks & chokes, weapons, & multiples.
Please don't get me wrong I loved TKD when I did it. I competed in many tournaments over those years and met a lot of good people. We trained hard and loved it. For me, when I found Kenpo did everything start to make sense to me. It helped my fighting style as I am only 5'6" and TKD was a little tougher for me. I went to a tournament in 2000 for the first time and my old instructor was there and still coached me through the sparring division. Again, that's why I still teach for him from time to time.

I've actually heard of Parker and his form of Kenpo. Read - Read - Read! Interesting, changing an MA to fit a culture. Thanks for the info!

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fluffy said:
I've actually heard of Parker and his form of Kenpo. Read - Read - Read! Interesting, changing an MA to fit a culture. Thanks for the info!
Some of my higher ups here in the Kenpo community can elaborate more than I can. There's a few first generation parker students in the Kenpo section so I should watch my p's and q's here:) . However the class I taught at the studio a couple of monday's ago was on kicks, kicking combinations, as well as moving in on an opponent and keeping them away. We did some punching combo's too but the majority was on sparring.

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
That's the best way to teach, go over some drills, sweat a bit, a little conditioning, maybe some SD, the spar. I try to do some sparring every time I teach.

Kenpoist

Green Belt
Reaction score
jfarnsworth said:
There are many of each. I'll try to do my best.
Differences
Kenpo is much more complex
Kenpo self defense is more indepth - intellectually
Kenpo favors inside and close style fighting
Kenpo has an entire book devoted to basics
Kenpo doesn't kick a lot
Kenpo kicking is generally low
Kenpo generally uses hand techniques
Kenpo forms are harder and more complex with more information than I will ever know in a lifetime
Kenpo has "specific" sets based upon basics. ex. blocking, kicking, striking, finger,stance,coordination,staff,2-man,
TKD has alot more kicks, and kicking combinations
TKD is also powerful, strong, and a hard style primarily based upon kicking and using distance
TKD is excellent for keeping in shape and great overall workouts

These are just some that I thought of off of the top of my head. These are based upon my experiences only from my 2 instructors that I have had.

I agree with Jason's assesssment.
I also trained through first black in TKD and now train solely in Kenpo. I had the opportunity of training first in Kenpo, than to TKD and back to Kenpo.
I enjoyed my workouts in TKD and had a great instructor, but felt there was a lack of the practical street defense applications that I enjoyed in my previous Kenpo school.
While training in TKD my kicking speed and strength improved, but my hand striking techniques (any hand strike used in the open hand - claws/eye gouches/ chops etc..) suffered.

Kenpo is designed to teach the practitioner to defend themselves from an array of attacks from every angle possible (lapel grabs/chokes/wrist locks/ bear hugs/ full neslon's etc.). Based on scientific principles, it really challenges the student to think and develop the ability to react in a "spontaneous" fashion.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
jfarnsworth said:
An american made martial art for americans. Our culture fights differently than other cultures thus the need to standardize a curriculum based upon logic

Because in other countries they fight illogically?

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Because in other countries they fight illogically?
No, I think generally here in the states most tend to fight differently than other places. I remember hearing a story before about Mr. Parker having been in fights in Hawaii when there were only 2 people fighting. Afterwards they went their seperate ways and that was that. Until he came to the states where he found you were fighting one guy, his buddy, or his buddies, weapons were involved, your enviornment played a part of fighting. This depended upon your geographical location. Many factors were put in more than just 2 guys duking it out.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fluffy said:
Could you campare the differences and simularities for me?
Lastly, I wanted to say that I wasn't saying one art was better than the other. It comes down to only good instructors and good students. You make the most out of the art you so choose to do. I wanted to get across that Kenpo helped me specifically more. :asian:

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
jfarnsworth said:
Lastly, I wanted to say that I wasn't saying one art was better than the other. It comes down to only good instructors and good students. You make the most out of the art you so choose to do. I wanted to get across that Kenpo helped me specifically more. :asian:

Roger that! Couldn't agree more!

spud

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
When I was training in TKD I asked my instructor (hard core Korean) what else I could do to supplement or improve my TKD training, his answer was simply do more TKD training. He was also my HKD instructor & years later I did some judo to help my HKD & found it very helpful.

I was doing up to 6 hours a night 5 nights a week training so had very little energy or time to think about doing anything else. Over the years I’ve trained in many styles & found a love for all the arts. I found they all have different weakness & strengths & by training in as many as possible you get a deeper appreciation for them all & tend to be less dismissive of any. The only true secret is to find a good instructor in what ever you do & learn learn learn.

beauty_in_the_sai

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well, TKD is my core art, and I think I'm stuck that way. I've supplimented it with ninjutsu, and some different weapons, and am thinking of trying jujutsu. I feel TKD is good, but it still needs something alittle more.

Becky

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
beauty_in_the_sai said:
Well, TKD is my core art, and I think I'm stuck that way. I've supplimented it with ninjutsu, and some different weapons, and am thinking of trying jujutsu. I feel TKD is good, but it still needs something alittle more.

Becky

That's it........TKD is your Major (like in college) and all the rest are minors, used to enhance your TKD abilities - but not at the expence of your major.

ajs1976

Purple Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
I was wondering how many of you TKD'ers suppliment your training with another Art, why did you choose that particular Art and what has made the biggest impact on your over all TKD skill????
Terry

What - Started taking some boxing classes.

Why - I wanted to take a JiuJitsu class at the same gym but it didn't work into my schedule, so I tried the boxing classes. Wanted to work more with my hands and less with my legs (knees).

Impact on TKD - to soon to tell.

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
I was wondering how many of you TKD'ers suppliment your training with another Art, why did you choose that particular Art and what has made the biggest impact on your over all TKD skill????
Terry

I have it the other way around. The TKD that I learned as a kid really helped me in learning Karate (two styles of Karate!) and Jujutsu. In fact, my ability to kick high is what sets me apart other guys in Jujutsu class.

The classical Jujutsu that I learned only have defenses against FRONT KICK! Some has defenses against roundhouse, but those defenses were constructed in modern times. The mokuroku/actual syllabus as written in ancient scrolls doesn't have defenses other than against front kick. TKD help me to address defenses against, what else, TKD-style kicks! :)

Also, TKD's emphasis on kicking several targets within one seconds really helps. For example, I can fake a kick to the stomach, and as my karateka friend block low, I convert the kick to a high roundhouse to his face. Scored many times. Off course, it won't work the second time. They will just get close in a clinch and throw or sweep me :)

I really recommend JMA practitioners to learn a little TKD to spice up their kicking techniques. they won't regret it!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
jujutsu_indonesia said:
I have it the other way around. The TKD that I learned as a kid really helped me in learning Karate

I hear this kind of thing often from those who studied TKD adn switched to something else. Unfortunately, it gives some people the impression that TKD is a 'starter art' (only).

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
People do have such impressions here in Indones because here TKD teachers are very actively campaigning to have TKD included as extra curricular activity in any elementary schools and junior highs they could find. Now TKD has more members in Indonesia than Karate, and Karate has been here since 1962.

Most of the martial artists I know here, my sensei included, must have learned a little TKD somewhere in their martial journey. The good thing is, all of them have such positive attitudes about TKD. They all agree that it's a good workout, develop great kicks, and good for sports.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just took my first class with Greg Batrman's (http://www.bartmanjj.com) He happens to teach in the same place as my TKD instructor and offers a discount to students from the TKD classes. Since my current TKD instructor is less self-defense oriented, at least for the colored belts, I did this to learn some more takedowns and in particular takedown defense and how to survive on the ground and get back up