How do you learn

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
I learn visually and verbally. I ask a lot of question, break things down analyse etc.

I like to SEE it done, slowing and then at normal pace, then I do it slowly so I know how it should feel before attempting it at normal pace.

Our instructor has a computer programme that once complete tells you how you learn.

I am defiantly one of those students that likes to have new tech's done on me, so I know how they feel etc. So once a new move is shown to the class and we are told to go and try it I always go up to my instructor to have it done on me and make sure I am doing it correctly.

My Instructor and other BB know this now so they always give me the time, will come over to me and show me 'one of one', and they like that I ask a lot of questions rather than just going and doing it 'assuming' I am doing it right.

T

Tae Kwon Doughboy

I have to understand before I can do. Some times understanding can be entirely visual but most of the time it verbal too. Once I understand and feel what it should feel like it is repeatable for me. From there it is just practice and tweak.

Some call this method paralysis by analysis, but that's the way I learn.

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tae Kwon Doughboy said:
I have to understand before I can do. Some times understanding can be entirely visual but most of the time it verbal too. Once I understand and feel what it should feel like it is repeatable for me. From there it is just practice and tweak.
I to need to understand, if we are learning a new lock for example, I like to know how and why the lock works, what pressure points it may be working on etc etc. I makes it more real if you understand what you are doing.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I learn visually as the instructor demonstrates a move, with verbal reinforcement-what the move is explained, and then by doing it over and over kinetically. I think we had a thread on this already.

I have learned that it is really hard to learn from a book even with a tape. I learn in parts until I have it ingrained. Then check it with an instructor. Bad way to do it, because if you learn something wrong, it is harder to UNDO plus the details aren't there. TW

gmunoz

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I need both explanation and to "see it" done. I can pretty much replicate anything shown to me slowly, however I hate to just know something. I want to know why.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I try to break things down into sections. Do A, Then B, etc. It works well for me.

OP
ppko

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
I have learned that it is really hard to learn from a book even with a tape. I learn in parts until I have it ingrained. Then check it with an instructor. Bad way to do it, because if you learn something wrong, it is harder to UNDO plus the details aren't there. TW
I agree that it is very hard to learn from books, but they can help if it is already a style that you are studying

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Cause she is the queen of pain :D

Anyways, I learn by watching. Then I try it in front of the instructor, and ask questions. They will correct me if needed.

Latest Discussions