Randori vs Kata

pmosiun1

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi, i was just wandering should a martial artist value kata more than randori, or doing kata only and no randori? If you learn groundfighting, guard, chokes, locks but never spar, do you really think it is possible to fight on the ground? Can this be applied to learning weapons also such as the sword? Doing two man kata, one attacker, one defender, pre determined move but never spar would make you better at swordmanship?

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Forms, whether you call them kata, poomsae, hyung, tuls, or whatever other words for forms exist in the world of martial arts, are meant to teach the technique. Much as the English language has various structures that you learn in school or as math has formulas, if you learn those structures or formulas but never write or do any math outside of schoolwork, then you have only part of the lesson.

Back when Maryland's sales tax was 5%, figuring the tax on an item was very easy. But I saw plenty of people who had taken college level math and had degrees that required advanced math who needed a calculator to figure out tax on an item costing 9.99.

Likewise, if you learn only kata, two man or not, and never spar, you do not have a solid basis for unscripted real-time self defense. Kata was never meant to be taught as an end unto itself.

Daniel

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Good post, Daniel. I would further add that it's frequently useful to practice technique in isolation so you have a chance to work on proper form, making your strikes (or cuts if we're talking swords). Do the partner work when you've got a remote clue about what you're doing.

It's not an either/or situation. Kata and live training both have their places.

Latest Discussions