how do you approach partner work?

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
there's almost nothing better than a training partner who trains exactly as hard as you want to: hits just hard enough, moves just fast enough, pushes you just far enough.

corrollary: there's almost nothing worse than training with somebody who's training softer than you want to, or who plays rougher than you were prepared for.

it's kind of like george carlin says: anybody who drives faster than you is a maniac. anybody who drives slower is a moron.

how do you approach training with an unfamiliar partner? what sorts of signs/signals/conversations do you have to figure out how hard you're going to play?

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Partner training is at the very core of aikido training. Every partner you train with will have a different energy. Even two that seem to be throwing with the same power and speed will have a different energy to them. You simply have to learn to read that energy as quickly as you would on the street. But I don't think that's exactly what you were asking about.

As far as training with someone who is training lighter than you wish to train...think about training with a white belt. You'll always train softer with a beginner than with anyone else. Slow down the pace and look at the training session as an opportunity to work on the details of the technique. Work on perfecting the technique at the slower, softer rythm and working with someone going slower can actually be enjoyable.

As for someone training harder...if you can handle it (you don't have any injuries that need caring for) then see just how far you can push your self. It's a chance to really test your limits. Having said that let me also say this...there is NO excuse for mere brutality during training. As martial artists we have a responsibility to our training partners to push them to their limit, physically, mentally what have you but never intentionally so far that we break them. If your training partner is going outside of your comfort zone there is no harm at all in saying "Hey, tone it down just a little for me. I wanna be able to walk to the car under my own power.?

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can usually tell just by how they introduce themselves what their temperment is like. After asking a few questions such as what their experience level is and what they are trying to acheive in their training today, I can get a good idea where their head is at and if I want to work with them or not. I look for a partner who is also looking out for my best interest as I am looking out for his / hers.