How do I make my Legs more flexible?/ What do I need? (Muay Thai "beginner")

ZockerSWAT

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am 14 year old, I weigh in about 56kg (~123 pounds) and I am 183cm (~6 feet) tall.
In Germany, there arent any Muay Thai or some kind of MMA Gyms withing 1 Hour (The nearest is at least 3h).
I allways have been pretty tall and I got pretty long arms as well, so I thought, that I
might try to get fitter and learn some Muay Thai with it!
I know that in Muay Thai you use a lot of kicks and elbows, but sadly because I am so tall at my age
I injured my leg. It isnt something that bad, just a repercussion because of my unusual growing.
I have to wear some kind of kneepads till I get 18 and if it wont fix itself I gonna get into surgery.
The main injury will heal in about 2 weeks, so I thought that I might be able to do some steps to get
flexible first!

I sadly cant do any sparring (because of the lack of MMA Gyms), but a friend of mine does boxing (there are a lot of boxing gyms) and maybe he can hook me up at his gym! I dont know what kind of devices I need, but my mother already agreed to get a punching bag, but I would like to get equipment that isnt already avaible at that boxing gym.

Sorry for asking this many questions ( and my bad english), but this is the only reliable forum I could find.
I already read the "Beginners Corner" (I believe that was what it was called) posts, that were pinned at the top.
At least most of them. Because I wanna learn Muay Thai and there may be specific excercises
for Muay Thai, so I posted it here. If this is supposed to be on the Beginners Corner just let me know and I will just copy paste it on there and delete this one.
Thank you for taking your time to read this!

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just repetitive kicking the bag will make you more flexible.

OP
ZockerSWAT

ZockerSWAT

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
What kind of kicks? I can barely lift my lift up my leg up to my belly button and cant even fully extend it.
The "how" is what makes it difficult for me

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
All kinds of kicks. But you need to be doing them properly. And you need to be patient. Despite advertising claims, you're not going to become rubber band man in 4 weeks.

OP
ZockerSWAT

ZockerSWAT

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
All kinds of kicks. But you need to be doing them properly. And you need to be patient. Despite advertising claims, you're not going to become rubber band man in 4 weeks.

Dont worry I know something like this takes time. I just dont know how to get started. Its nice to know that I can just try "all kinds of kicks", but like I said earlier, I cant even fully extend my leg when I want to try a Side Kick in an open area. Its kinda hard to just go by that.
What did you try to do when you had this problem?

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Dont worry I know something like this takes time. I just dont know how to get started. Its nice to know that I can just try "all kinds of kicks", but like I said earlier, I cant even fully extend my leg when I want to try a Side Kick in an open area. Its kinda hard to just go by that.
Whereabouts are you Zocker? Pampa?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

OP
ZockerSWAT

ZockerSWAT

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Whereabouts are you Zocker? Pampa?

I am not quite sure what you mean, but l live in Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany.
I cant disclose my exact location for obvious reasons but you could say that Nordrhein-Westfalen is my state I am in.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I am not quite sure what you mean, but l live in Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany.
I cant disclose my exact location for obvious reasons but you could say that Nordrhein-Westfalen is my state I am in.
Of course. NRW has quite an active Martial Arts scene though. I guess you are not in the city though if everything is 3 hours away. You might find something at a VHS, so not a proper gym but a group/Verein more locally a couple of nights a week. You really need a trainer.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If you just want to improve flexibility, then yoga works. Or try reading Thomas Kurz.

OP
ZockerSWAT

ZockerSWAT

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Of course. NRW has quite an active Martial Arts scene though. I guess you are not in the city though if everything is 3 hours away. You might find something at a VHS, so not a proper gym but a group/Verein more locally a couple of nights a week. You really need a trainer.

A "VHS"? I dont know what that is to be honest. And I woul love to have a trainer, but its kinda hard. Currently we dont have any class tests comming up and it is pretty chill. So its about the perfect time to start training! I would love to get a trainer, but dont know where to get one

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Many people find it more difficult to kick air than a bag. I do. My air kicks are rarely fully extended. Because I'm old and acutely aware of the dangers of hyper-extending my joints.
Just as with flexibility, the technique will improve slowly, over time.

Kick Progress.jpg

OP
ZockerSWAT

ZockerSWAT

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Many people find it more difficult to kick air than a bag. I do. My air kicks are rarely fully extended. Because I'm old and acutely aware of the dangers of hyper-extending my joints.
Just as with flexibility, the technique will improve slowly, over time.

View attachment 22071

A bag being easier than air? Never thought about it like that. I will try it out the next time I get the chance to do it! I do have a gym pass, but I dont know if they have bags there so I either need to get one myself or ask my "Boxer Friend" if he can help me out.
Thanks!

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
A "VHS"? I dont know what that is to be honest. And I woul love to have a trainer, but its kinda hard. Currently we dont have any class tests comming up and it is pretty chill. So its about the perfect time to start training! I would love to get a trainer, but dont know where to get one
Volkshochschule. They have classes in the evenings from different Verein groups. Sometimes martial arts. Maybe look for your local one and see what they have.

You might also have some success with Google for your area with "Muay Thai" AND "e.V."

Most sports clubs are "eingetragener Verein".

You never know, sometimes martial arts springs up in the weirdest places.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Honestly, what it sounds like you really need is a teacher. As someone recently said here, you can learn about an art from books and videos, but you cannot learn the art.

OP
ZockerSWAT

ZockerSWAT

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Volkshochschule. They have classes in the evenings from different Verein groups. Sometimes martial arts. Maybe look for your local one and see what they have.

You might also have some success with Google for your area with "Muay Thai" AND "e.V."

Most sports clubs are "eingetragener Verein".

You never know, sometimes martial arts springs up in the weirdest places.

Thanks gonna try that as well!

OP
ZockerSWAT

ZockerSWAT

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Honestly, what it sounds like you really need is a teacher. As someone recently said here, you can learn about an art from books and videos, but you cannot learn the art.

Yeah the more I think about it.. It does make sense. Learning the art and learning about the art is diffrent.
Thanks again!

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thanks gonna try that as well!
Du könntest vielleicht mal auch bei Kampfkunst-Board fragen. Da gibts sicher einige deutschsprachigen Trainer, die in NRW Muay Thai treiben. Schnuppertraining wäre angesagt.

OP
ZockerSWAT

ZockerSWAT

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Du könntest vielleicht mal auch bei Kampfkunst-Board fragen. Da gibts sicher einige deutschsprachigen Trainer, die in NRW Muay Thai treiben. Schnuppertraining wäre angesagt.

Also könntest du mir ein Link schicken zu einem Kampfkunst Board schicken oder meinst du hier auf dieser Seite?

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Also könntest du mir ein Link schicken zu einem Kampfkunst Board schicken oder meinst du hier auf dieser Seite?
Google it, there is only one German language forum for martial arts. You'll find it!

Latest Discussions