how do I get faster

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
How do the really fast guys get really fast? I can hit pretty hard. But Im definately not the fastest guy in the world. Not the slowest, but lots of room for improvement. What can I do to improve my punching and kicking speed? Ive got a heavy bag but dont know what to do to improve in that area specifically. Im OK I guess when its only one punch, its really combos that Im lacking in. I could probably hit my bag lots faster if power was no concern whatsoever. Should I do that for a little while? If not, what? :confused:

T

the_kicking_fiend

Training in combos? That's pretty easy to get fast in, it's just practise. Just keep doing your combo over and over until you speed it up. There's only so fast you want to go before you start making it messy though.

Combos are great and all but to make real use of speed is in counters I think. If someone throws a kick at you you block it and then concentrate on throwing a real fast counter kick. Jabs are the fastest thing you can do and can win matches, as you'll know if you watch boxing.

You'll hear about a lot of people saying tie weights on this and that, run down hills and meditate but it's all in focus I believe. If you wanna move fast, you can do it, anybody can. Someone's hoses you down with cold water and watch you move!

d

L

lonekimono

look don't worry about being fast, it will come in time just like age
i will tell you one thing ,look at movement and then look at what you want to do with it,and than play with it(the movement that is)
and than from there if you take your time you will see what it is you want to do.

have fun with it:asian: :asian:

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
For kicking, I like this drill...

Stand opposite someone at a heavy bag. When you see them begin their kick, try to beat them to the bag with the same kick.

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
For hand speed, are you talking about the speed of a single strike, or rapid striking?

It is my opinion that for rapid striking, the key is repetition. For single striking, break down your movements and see what happens first. It is my opinion that the first thing to move should be the hand, NOT the body.

P

pknox

If you are going to be faster, which to me means hitting someone quicker, or maybe more times within a given time frame (i.e. 5 times in 1 sec vs. 3 times in 1 sec.), the way I see it, you can do two possible things:

1. Keep the same amount of movement, but train the muscles to respond faster.

2. Accomplish the same amount but move less.

For #1, you can only get so fast -- eventually you reach the limits of what your brain can process, and that's it. You may also get sloppy if you are going faster than you should. #2 should be easier, and all it really is is economy of motion. Think about two scenarios, both in which someone is trying to hit someone with their hands a few consecutive times and then toss them to the ground, and the stylists and opponents in question are of equal skill:

1. Stylist A: Has hands in typical "boxing" stance. Launches and connects with left jab, retracts hand back to starting position, relaunches left hand out to grab opponent's wrist, controls wrist, strikes opponent on side of the head with their right hand, retracts right hand, throws out right hand again and hooks back of opponent's head and neck, pushes left hand and pulls with right, dumping them onto the ground.

2. Stylist B: Hands in same stance. Launches left jab, slides left hand down to wrist, controls the wrist, launches right to side of head, leaves hand there and hooks, pushes and pulls, and then dumps.

Which stylist do you think was faster? I would think stylist B - the one who used less wasted movement. While both technically hit their opponent the same number of times, B didn't have to move so much, because he omitted the returns of his hands to starting position.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by cfr
How do the really fast guys get really fast? I can hit pretty hard. But Im definately not the fastest guy in the world. Not the slowest, but lots of room for improvement. What can I do to improve my punching and kicking speed? Ive got a heavy bag but dont know what to do to improve in that area specifically. Im OK I guess when its only one punch, its really combos that Im lacking in. I could probably hit my bag lots faster if power was no concern whatsoever. Should I do that for a little while? If not, what? :confused:
There are two types of work out. One is for power and the other for speed. Never wear ankle weights or hand weights and expect to get faster. Unfortunatly, this makes you slower. What you want to do is get a light stick ( the lighter the better) and start swinging it around. What you might notice is that you can get that stick swinging a lot faster than your arms could normaly move with out it. This is the key. The more you work the stick(s), the faster you will train yourself to move. Leave the bag alone as well until you have reached a speed you are comfortable with by just punching in the air. Then add contact with the bag gradualy.
As for you kicks, I would concentrate on the knee strike in the first half. It helps to visualize a target you would hit with your knee on the way to your actual target.
Sean

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by cfr
How do the really fast guys get really fast
RELAX MORE!
antagonistic muscle drag is one of the greatest hinderances to physical action.
It may seem odd to the western mind, but one of the best ways to move faster is to relax.

Your Brother
John

Baoquan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Speed comes with good technique - once you've reduced antagonistic play between muscle groups, and are training your muscles to do the least work to get the job done, then they will do it faster, with less concious thought.

Mental boxing is good for this - just sit, close your eyes, and think yourself through a perfect execution of techniqueor combo, in as much detail as you can. Keep thinking/feeling yourself through it until u feel totally comfortable with it....then get up and do it. I was amazed at how much benefit i got from this practice.

Once u get things flowing right, they flow much faster too.

Cheers

B

K

kenpo12

Moving faster IS hitting harder!!!!

I've heard this argument before and I completely dissagree. I know some fairly slow people that hit hard as a freight train. I also know some people that have blinding speed but I'm always willing to eat their shots to get mine off because their quick striikes don't even slow me down.

How do the really fast guys get really fast?

Do you mean physically fast? Because there are different kinds of speed, and just because someone is really fast doesn't mean their timing is great. I've sparred with alot of guys that are super fast but my timing is better so I get way more strikes off and can overwhelm them so they can't use their speed.
If you want to get faster the only thing you can do is practice your basics. Practice your basics until you get tired of them and then practice some more. How do runners get to running faster? They run. If you want to punch faster, throw alot of correct punches. The speed will come with time.

L

lonekimono

look this is how u become fast (and this works)

first light a fire under you backside and when it gets going real good beleve me your hands will be moving FAST i mean FAST:D

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by kenpo12
I've heard this argument before and I completely dissagree. I know some fairly slow people that hit hard as a freight train. I also know some people that have blinding speed but I'm always willing to eat their shots to get mine off because their quick striikes don't even slow me down.
Some people become 'fast' by negating their form or not striking deeply. IF you don't strike fast at, on, in and through the target... it's useless.
Force = mass X accelleration
The greater the accelleration, the greater the resultant force.
Accelleration is the rate at which a motions speed and/or trajectory changes.
There's lots of ways to use this.
Your Brother
John

B

Bushigokoro9

Just my opinion.......

To move faster do just the opposite. Move slower. I mean really slow. You want no tension and you need the body to build muscle memory. As you move slow focus on balance, breathing , energy etc...... Keeping a constant flow through your movements you will increase your speed and the control will be there. To hit harder use the spine and skeleton structure.

Best Regards,
Jeff

J

Josh

Work on Breathing when stricking. Relaxing. Not being tight.

And when it comes to Defnense. Bruce Lee always would like be low kicking some guy when the dude try to hit him. So you flow with it yo.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bushigokoro9 said:
Just my opinion.......

To move faster do just the opposite. Move slower. I mean really slow. You want no tension and you need the body to build muscle memory. As you move slow focus on balance, breathing , energy etc...... Keeping a constant flow through your movements you will increase your speed and the control will be there . To hit harder use the spine and skeleton structure.

Best Regards,
Jeff
Jeff...
agreed. I wrote something like that HERE: http://www.kenpotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=443

talk to you later...

Your Brother
John

Latest Discussions