How did we get so old???

bill miller

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Could I get in the ring with my 25-year old self and hold my own? Yes, if I could get around the rules.:confused:
There is a wonderful technique for this! Look over to your opponents corner, bug your eyes out in wonder and say,"Look! it's Lady GaGa!!", or, you can just run! RUN AWAY!!, ala Monty Python.

bill miller

Orange Belt
Reaction score
In my case, I started training at age 46. I didn't have any illusions about being young in the martial arts to begin with. I was quite fat as well. However, by the time I hit my early 50s, I was feeling much better. I was never going to be competitive with those younger than me, but my body was doing what I asked of it.

Now I'm in my 60s. Things are just flat wearing out. My knees are full of arthritis. I have a high pain threshold, they don't hurt (doctor says they should), but they don't do what I tell them always either. My right shoulder is coming undone, punching air sometimes makes it pop out. My diabetes-caused neuropathy is making me walk funny, as my gait is messed up. I'm either foot-slapping or toe-dragging as I walk sometimes, and walking more than a block is murder.

My heart is angry with me, and afib is no joke. Standing up can make me feel like passing out. Doctor says it won't get better - terrific.

Still, I'll keep training somehow. Maybe it's time to start writing.
Bill, I understand. I also have afib, but is under control with meds, and the rest of my 72 year old body creaks and moans as well. You might want to consider finding a Tai Chi class, and doing a bit of cross training. It always helped me, and let me keep training in my KDK system well past my prime. Good luck, brother, and keep the faith.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It's easy to figure out what caused mine. Ultimately, it's chemo. I was on cisplatin for 9 months, which is known to cause neuropathies. I'm off that, but the stuff I am on now (massive doses of Lanreotide-LAR) suppresses insulin production. So diabetes. Which adds to the neuropathies. Oddles of fun. But the statistics say I should have died 6 years ago. And I'm not only still alive, I'm still working full time. Neuopathy sucks, but it's a fair trade.
Life throws a lot of punches. Some we can slip, evade, or block, but plenty get thru. Being strong enough to take the hit, or knowing how to roll with the punch let's us stay in the fight. Eventually we all lose, but at least we can beat the point spread and still score a win. (My 2022 New Year resolution is to use fewer metaphors, but like cutting back on donuts, I doubt I'll keep it.)

Happy New Year to all (especially us old guys who face challenges yet somehow keep going).

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bill, I understand. I also have afib, but is under control with meds, and the rest of my 72 year old body creaks and moans as well. You might want to consider finding a Tai Chi class, and doing a bit of cross training. It always helped me, and let me keep training in my KDK system well past my prime. Good luck, brother, and keep the faith.
I would like to. No Tai Chi near me, unfortunately.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would like to. No Tai Chi near me, unfortunately.

Oh ****.

See, I can never keep up. I thought I made this thread for @bill miller.

It was meant for @Bill Mattocks (but credit to @JowGaWolf)

You can fast forward to the end of the thread, there are great seated exercises there for neuropathy patients. But they work for anyone really, so I guess I made the thread for all of you.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
@Bill Mattocks made a comment in another thread about age catching up. It got me thinking. How the heck did I get so old? It just doesn't seem possible. In my mind, nobody ages.

View attachment 27834

This is Izzy (L) and Paddy (R), demonstrating a partner stretch for one of my books. They'd been training for a year or so when this was taken. In my mind, this is still them. But in reality, they are both black belts and college students. Izzy is finishing her Freshman year and Paddy her Junior. Amazing young women. But how did they grow up? And when did I get so old?
I don't get old. I just get worn lol like a comfortable leather jacket that no longer feels like card board. lol

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My heart is angry with me, and afib is no joke. Standing up can make me feel like passing out. Doctor says it won't get better - terrific.
Not old just worn. If you think of how long the heart beats, the lungs work, the joints work, and the organs work.. things just wear down like any mechanical part. But if you could repair the tissue damage then you wouldn't feel worn and you wouldn't look old.

Not old just worn.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Not old just worn. If you think of how long the heart beats, the lungs work, the joints work, and the organs work.. things just wear down like any mechanical part. But if you could repair the tissue damage then you wouldn't feel worn and you wouldn't look old.

Not old just worn.
Broken in.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Broken in.
ha ha ha. that too. Broken in sounds like being married lol.

Before marriage
1640843256151.png

After marriage.
Remember when you didn't do something for your wife. Of course you don't. But don't worry. She'll remind you about it in about 2 months about something that happen 30 years ago. And eventually you'll learn to be quiet during certain conversations so she doesn't bring it up. This horse didn't learn and she's been on his back forever about it. ha ha ha

1640843393480.png

Just in case my wife sees this. IT'S A JOKE!!. She just walked in ha ha ha. click save close window lol

Cynik75

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I am 46 y.o. Yesterday I was rolling with 18 y.o. girl and my conclusion is: year after year, the teenagers are faster ;)

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I am 46 y.o. Yesterday I was rolling with 18 y.o. girl and my conclusion is: year after year, the teenagers are faster ;)
ha ha ha.. that's why old dudes (old fighters) learn to be tricky with their fighting lol.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I made that upgrade after I destroyed the screen on the 6.
I like the size of both phones. I do a good amount of program changes from my phone. There are two programs I have sporadic trouble accessing. I think it is more about the 3G and pinging the necessary server than anything else.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Still happily using my iPhone 6. Am thinking about getting an SE just for the faster wifi.
I don't have a cell phone. I don't want anybody to be able to find me.

It's good to be "not young any more". I don't have to work 8 to 5. I also have all the time in the world to sit on the beach and think about

- Who am I?
- Why am I here?
- Why it is me?

Last edited:

Latest Discussions