How come we don't hear about that?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just listening to some German radio...

About repeated protests in Israel about social injustice...because the cost of living has sharply increased...

Not interesting enough?

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Because American media in particular ignores anything that isn't American? But all media 'windows' terribly on all matters of news. That's why the Net is so useful when we employ its ability to link various parts of the world together - a pertinent example is the troubles in Mexico of which there has not been a whiff on the BBC.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
seems like the troubles in Mexico, you leak it you are in trouble (I am keeping MA's own Manny in my thoughts and prayers)
But this was the 5 minute news on regular German radio...
Why does the US insist on keeping it's people dumb? Maybe if they knew how the rest of the world worked they would insist on the partisan BS to cease?

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Most of the people here in the U.S. don't know about the daily rocket attacks into Israel either. Or they didn't notice the latest terrorists attacks on Israel, so a lot of what goes on in Israel is not paid much attention.

Most Americans also don't know much about the gun runner scandal either, and we live right next to Mexico.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/aug/18/rockets-airstrikes-follow-attack-on-israel/

Palestinian militants in Gaza launched more than two dozen rockets into Israel on Friday, the Israeli military said. One smashed through a roof of a Jewish seminary, damaging a synagogue in the port city of Ashdod and wounding six Israelis who were standing outside, Israeli emergency services said. One hit an empty school and another, aimed at the city of Ashkelon, was intercepted by the new Israeli anti-missile system known as Iron Dome

Imagine that school full of children. I don't remember hearing about this rocket attack. Would Canada or Britain tolerate almost daily rocket attacks from anyone? Would they then willingly go into peace talks with people launching rockets into their countries?

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
We also don't hear much about this in Israel either...

http://pajamasmedia.com/barryrubin/2011/09/01/reflections-on-the-first-day-of-school-in-israel/

I ask my son how the first day of his elementary school (sixth grade) went. He tells me that the number of guards has been upped from two to five, and now they have metal detector wands. One of the guards, as before, carries a .38 caliber pistol. For good measure, he adds that the guard at the nearby clothing store is now carrying a G36C fully automatic Heckler & Koch. (Daniel’s an expert on small arms and has a high opinion of this weapon, one of his many hobbies.)
They are not carrying this equipment because of concern over random trespassers or shoplifters. I often reflect that if terrorists were to attack the elementary school successfully, they would be regarded as heroes in the West Bank, Gaza Strip, and among millions of Arabs and Muslims.
In contrast, of course, Palestinian schools, stores, and malls do not have to fear attack. On the contrary, certainly in the Gaza Strip and to a lesser extent on the West Bank, they are being taught in textbooks that it is proper and virtuous to slay Israelis wherever they find them. Would all this change overnight if there were an internationally recognized Palestinian state? Of course not.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Most of the people here in the U.S. don't know about the daily rocket attacks into Israel either. Or they didn't notice the latest terrorists attacks on Israel, so a lot of what goes on in Israel is not paid much attention.

Most Americans also don't know much about the gun runner scandal either, and we live right next to Mexico.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/aug/18/rockets-airstrikes-follow-attack-on-israel/

Imagine that school full of children. I don't remember hearing about this rocket attack. Would Canada or Britain tolerate almost daily rocket attacks from anyone? Would they then willingly go into peace talks with people launching rockets into their countries?

Well, you prove much of my point by underlining the idiotic crap that passes for news in this country.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Would Canada or Britain tolerate almost daily rocket attacks from anyone? Would they then willingly go into peace talks with people launching rockets into their countries?

I lived through the days when the IRA were blowing up train stations, public houses, litter bins in shopping centres etc. Likewise the Red Army Faction (aka Baader Meinhoff Gang), the Red Brigade, the Stern Gang etc ran about Europe in the 1970's assassinating, bombing and hi-jacking. In the end, political solutions have to be found because genocide is not an option.

Sad to say, people forget recent history all too soon if it is not reiterated to them. When the younger generations do not recall even the Battle of Britain let alone the IRA then what chance have we got?

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
on a side note, the protests do not (seem to) be connected with the palestinian issues, but with - gaspeth - inner Israelian issues.
Seems like Israel does have 'normal' problems, like other countries.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Why does the US insist on keeping it's people dumb? Maybe if they knew how the rest of the world worked they would insist on the partisan BS to cease?
They want American people to be dumb because a lot of us still know how to add things up and often times we don't like the resultant sum. Why else would they be all upset and bent out of shape from Wiki-leaks?
Some things I understand need to be secret for reasons of National Security... letting the public know could allow enemies to know and all that... but a LOT of things IMO don't need to be so secret. But skeletons in the closets are sometimes felt better left unseen.

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
on a side note, the protests do not (seem to) be connected with the palestinian issues, but with - gaspeth - inner Israelian issues.
Seems like Israel does have 'normal' problems, like other countries.

They are not. They are related to an increased cost of living and a widening gap between rich and poor, along with the disapearance of the middle class.

Sound familiar?

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
They are not. They are related to an increased cost of living and a widening gap between rich and poor, along with the disapearance of the middle class.

Sound familiar?

It's Obama's fault! ;)

Latest Discussions