Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are still UXO's washing up from WWI and WWII. In fact, a few years ago, a chemical round washed up as a result of some hurricane action and a bunch of people got mustard poisoning. There is some BAD stuff out there and believe it or not, it's not all ours. In fact, there are probably more UXO's that belong to other countries out there than to us.....they just aren't washing up on our shores - thankfully.

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
There's no telling what is still lying around in the Gulf.

We were warned in Okinawa not to bring up any old ordinance we found while scuba diving. Apparently, there is still alot of WWII white phosporous ammo sunk from those days. Makes sense this is still there, but I had no idea any atomic bombs were just left lying around.

R. McLain

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
So in the Pentagon when things go missing and 2 of those multiple things are destroyer and a hydrogen bomb and then you find that up to 50 nuclear warheads have likely gone missing during the Cold War....

I'm sorry but we are being governed and protected (at VERY high levels) by a pack of idiots... I'm still trying to figure out how you LOOSE a DESTROYER!!!!

But then it is not just us, there could be as many as 250 Suitcase nuke rolling around... depending on who you believe according to the Russian government Russia developed, didn't develop, lost, found, destroyed all of their Suitcase nuke they denied ever having... or loosing... that didn't exist in the first place

And they still find unexploded (regular) bombs in Berlin too.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am with rmclain. Try being a diver for a while.

There are a great many stories that some of us cantell you about what goes missing off of some Naval Ships.

Ordinance=no big deal. A wrench=big deal. Why, you ask? Ordinance is disposable. Brining down a very experience fighter or bomber costs to much.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
How much of the stuff that is lost is actually sold to other miltaries or terroist?

I saw that guy on the news this morning. They said he left the thing on his boat for 10 days!! When ever I go fishing in the Keys I catch fish. I catch Mahi Mahi sometimes yummy.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
How much of the stuff that is lost is actually sold to other miltaries or terroist?

Well... in the case of the nukes or the destroyer... probably nothing. at least not to terrorists. Someone would have noticed by now, on account of the mushroom cloud and the missing city :)

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are still UXO's washing up from WWI and WWII.

There's no telling what is still lying around in the Gulf.

Over here it happens frequently. Not on a daily basis, but it's practically impossible in some parts of Belgium to plow a field without finding a live mortar shell or plane bomb on occasion. On construction sites in cities they sometimes find them as well if they have to dig deep.
Usually nothing bad happens. People just call the bomb squad and they take it away to blow it up in an abandoned field.

The one thing our military is very good at is disposal and clean-up of mines and military explosives. This is partly because there is still so much junk in our own back yards to get rid of. Btw this is also why I am against the blanket use of anti personnel mines.

Latest Discussions