How being vegetarian does more harm to the environment than eating meat

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

By Fiona Macrae
Last updated at 12:26 AM on 13th February 2010
Daily Mail EXCERPT:

It is a claim that could put a dent in the green credentials of vegetarians: Meat-free diets can be bad for the planet.

Environmental activists and vegetarians have long taken pleasure in telling those who enjoy a steak that livestock farming is a major source of harmful greenhouse gases.

But research has shown that giving up meat may not be as green as it seems.

The Cranfield University study found that switching from British-bred beef and lamb to meat substitutes imported from abroad such as tofu and Quorn would increase the amount of land cultivated, raising the risk of forests being destroyed.

Production methods for meat substitutes can be energy intensive and the final products tend to be highly processed, the report, which was commissioned by the environmental group WWF, found.

The researchers concluded: ‘A switch from beef and milk to highly refined livestock product analogues such as tofu could actually increase the quantity of arable land needed to supply the UK.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don't forget the bacon Don.
Bacon and eggs is what God wanted breakfast to consist of.
Lots and lots of it.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
It's not whether you eat meat or not. It's whether the meat or veggies are grown in a sustainable way. The way corn and soy are grown in the USA is no better than how we raise cows, pigs and chickens.

This is another example of hiw you can bend the "facts" to support any position.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think the point is that it's often difficult to consider all the factors that make your meat and veggies sustainable. For example one will hear that to be sustainable you need to eat locally-grown produce, but then an article will suggest that it's more environmentally damaging because it produces more carbon dioxide to transport those little amounts locally than it does to transport a huge boatload of stuff together.

You can't possibly know all the details of how you got your food unless you raise it yourself. Eat your meat AND veggies, people. Omit what you don't want to eat, but don't browbeat others for eating it. That's a dick move.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

By Fiona Macrae
Last updated at 12:26 AM on 13th February 2010
Daily Mail EXCERPT:

It is a claim that could put a dent in the green credentials of vegetarians: Meat-free diets can be bad for the planet.

Environmental activists and vegetarians have long taken pleasure in telling those who enjoy a steak that livestock farming is a major source of harmful greenhouse gases.

But research has shown that giving up meat may not be as green as it seems.

The Cranfield University study found that switching from British-bred beef and lamb to meat substitutes imported from abroad such as tofu and Quorn would increase the amount of land cultivated, raising the risk of forests being destroyed.

Production methods for meat substitutes can be energy intensive and the final products tend to be highly processed, the report, which was commissioned by the environmental group WWF, found.

The researchers concluded: ‘A switch from beef and milk to highly refined livestock product analogues such as tofu could actually increase the quantity of arable land needed to supply the UK.
They can use the land that once housed all the Livestock.:soapbox:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I think the point is that it's often difficult to consider all the factors that make your meat and veggies sustainable. For example one will hear that to be sustainable you need to eat locally-grown produce, but then an article will suggest that it's more environmentally damaging because it produces more carbon dioxide to transport those little amounts locally than it does to transport a huge boatload of stuff together.

You can't possibly know all the details of how you got your food unless you raise it yourself. Eat your meat AND veggies, people. Omit what you don't want to eat, but don't browbeat others for eating it. That's a dick move.
Good points but it's healthier for sure to eat locally produced, responsibly cultivated food. And I've never heard or seen anyone assert that eating local food is less "green". I'd have to see some numbers to back that claim up.

At some point, you're right in that there's some faith involved. But my general rule is to hit the local farmers market when possible and eat protein that's onlly, best as I can tell, had one bad day. Their last.

SensibleManiac

Black Belt
Reaction score
Although I'm not a vegetarian, I don't eat red meat or poultry, only fish and raw foods with some rare exceptions in terms of processed foods.
I'm not telling anyone this is the way to go, I'm just stating it to let everyone know where I'm coming from.

The biggest problem with red meat is the way it is raised.

My main point though is that many vegans don't eat tofu or processed foods.
The bulk of my diet comes from unprocessed, raw foods.

The post is misleading, it's not eating vegan that's not green, it's eating tofu.

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
Might as well order the ribs.

flintstones_ribs.jpg

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good points but it's healthier for sure to eat locally produced, responsibly cultivated food. And I've never heard or seen anyone assert that eating local food is less "green". I'd have to see some numbers to back that claim up.

At some point, you're right in that there's some faith involved. But my general rule is to hit the local farmers market when possible and eat protein that's onlly, best as I can tell, had one bad day. Their last.

Here's one article. I'm not saying that eating local food is the wrong way to go, I just hate it when people adopt a lifestyle choice and start complaining that the alternatives are not only bad but Morally Bad (tm). It's like, "Yes, I see you over there. You're a wonderful human being. Now lemme enjoy my genetically mutated KFC chicken chunks in peace."

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The study states that it is the environmental repercussions from the regular consumption of PROCESSED MEAT SUBSTITUTES used by some vegetarian-wannabees that negates any environmental benefit of giving up cattle or lamb.

Interestingly, the study lumps chickpeas and lentils in with tofu and soy products as being "processed foods." Hopefully the readers of this post will understand that chickpeas and lentils are naturally grown legumes and are not highly processed.

So if you eat TofuDogs and buy VeggieBurger mix thinking you're doing the environment a service, know that the environmentally-conscious vegetarian/vegan consumes as many foods as possible which have no label (processed foods available in bulk bins don't qualify). Try making your own oat patties for burgers or assembling your own recipe for falafel.

Hence, the massive acreage that is currently used to feed and/or house food animals can be used to grow other products healthier in greater quantities for the world.

Toodles.

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here's the thing,we don't have rodent teeth. We have canines to RIP meat, we are not meant to be herbivores, our enamel is too thin for that. We're omnivores.

xJOHNx

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Although I'm not a vegetarian, I don't eat red meat or poultry, only fish and raw foods with some rare exceptions in terms of processed foods.
I'm not telling anyone this is the way to go, I'm just stating it to let everyone know where I'm coming from.

The biggest problem with red meat is the way it is raised.

My main point though is that many vegans don't eat tofu or processed foods.
The bulk of my diet comes from unprocessed, raw foods.

The post is misleading, it's not eating vegan that's not green, it's eating tofu.
You've got it.

I don't dig the whole meat substitute things (most of them taste like crap anyway). Rather have me another portion of fruit/veggies.

JDenver

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Here's the thing,we don't have rodent teeth. We have canines to RIP meat, we are not meant to be herbivores, our enamel is too thin for that. We're omnivores.

I might disagree. Most of your teeth are molars. You don't have any real 'ripping' teeth. Compare your mouth to that of a dog.

Also, your digestive tract is definitely not made to properly handle red meat. Yes, you can do it, but it isn't optimum. Hey, I'm no preacher, I eat chicken and fish and such, I'm just saying.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here is somthing else "Those Damn Vegans" need to think about.

Yes, yes, it's wrong to kill that cow and wear its skin. So much so that you substitute that leather in your coat and shoes with pleather, and dacron fur and chemically created man-made insulation in your winter clothes, etc etc.

At the expense of the destruction and poisoning of plenty of habitat that wildlife could be using. Save a cow! Kill thousands of birds, squirrels and fish instead! Woot!

xJOHNx

Purple Belt
Reaction score
What does that mean? How so? Whats the logic?

Long digestive tracts are found in most herbivores. The simplicity behind it is that it helps optimal nutrition.
While shorter digestive tracts such as found in carnivores are short to keep the distance to shedding it out as short as possible. So that it doesn't "rot" away. Plus also to minimize the surface of vowel tissue exposed to germs.

@CZ: I always wear cotton shoes. It was -7 yesterday night at 4 a.m., cold cold cold world.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Long digestive tracts are found in most herbivores. The simplicity behind it is that it helps optimal nutrition.
While shorter digestive tracts such as found in carnivores are short to keep the distance to shedding it out as short as possible. So that it doesn't "rot" away. Plus also to minimize the surface of vowel tissue exposed to germs.

@CZ: I always wear cotton shoes. It was -7 yesterday night at 4 a.m., cold cold cold world.

Thank you.
Does anyone have an unbiased source I can read up on this?

Latest Discussions