horse stance?

Changhfy

Green Belt
Reaction score
Monji,

Just to list a few of my opinions.

You stated two seperate time frames, but in essence those arent considered time frames they are energies.

The time frames are specific alignments of where your structure lies in correlation to where the opponents is. For those there are three time frames to denote where your structure lies.

The energies as you mentioned are Cham, Cheung, lau, bik, laan, saat, jaam, etc... the energies generally relate the response.

Again this is just my opinion, everybodys posts were great!

take care,
Chang

monji112000

Green Belt
Reaction score
I could see how they could be called energies. I call it timing, because you have to react in that time frame of the "energies". It requires the ability to move in a specific time. Hence the name timing, and timing drills. Any drill can work timing, circle is no difference. If you have to move at a set moment.. then you are working timing. Some drills work your timing More though.

barnaby

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have seen some very interesting stuff here. It started as a topic of stance, then went to timing, and there has been a lot of chat about technique and application, and where the forms come in regarding application. I thought I'd humbly share some of how it is addressed in my school.

The ideal order of training follows the order that this topic has walked through -- first we train structure, then timing, lastly technique.

We however do see the first form as carrying application, when the yee jee kim yeung ma stance is taken into step training. The stepping stance depends heavily on deep training in the first form's "goat pressing" stance, and the two basic steps, with or often without handwork contain all the things needed in order to enter and nullify the physical advantages which prevail at "wrist" distance (this has been covered on this thread). Closing the distance is key as we train, which seems to have been alluded to already.

anyway, "horse stance," short or wide, is another way of posturing. I have used it in application -- when an opponent is trying to pick me up, for example, I may drop into it and quickly transition to remove the threat -- but I do not look at it or yee jee kim yeung ma as fighting stances.

I salute the element of respect and comradery I have seen in this thread.

grifter

White Belt
Reaction score
I have always been under the impression that the horse stance is (like many elements of forms in many martial arts) used in training to allow a practitioner to understand and utilize a key concept of Wing Chun. The horse stance gives the practitioner the "rooted" feeling and helps them to feel when they are in a position where they can generate power.

Other forms expand on this. There are several froms and exercises that use other stances, movements and foot positions, but, at least I feel, that they are more useful with an understanding of the "rooted" feeling.