Horse Play, in class

hemi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I’m sure everyone that has ever been a student has experienced this, the person that always feels the need to joke around in class. Kicking at your face to show off, doing things to distract you while you are working on forms before class. Or even going as far as talking to you while the instructor is talking to the class

Have any stories you would be willing to share?

How do/did you deal with these people as a student?

How do/did you deal with them as an instructor?

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can honestly say that I have NEVER had that happen...At one dojo I trained at taking your eye off Sensei while he was talking was a cause for discipline..I'm sure the othere will have better posts...Sorry...

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

They're probably looking for an agitated response from you. After class was over, I just simply asked them not to do that again, since it was rude and distracting. If they persisted, I would ask the instructor to intervene after class was over.

A bit differently. If I noticed such a thing going on, I would wait and see if the student being bothered would do anything. If not, I'd let the class continue, and pull the misbehaving student aside, and strongly urge the individual not to do that again. I would explain that there are many people on the training floor who are there to train and learn, not as entertainment for one of the students.

I'd also explain to the student that using talents like that for the purpose of causing mischief is detrimental to the spirit of the martial arts.

Usually, this stops them, but in the cases where they persist, I'll give them a much more stern warning, and if necessary (if a child), get the parents involved. I'll start by saying that the kid has talents and will become a fine martial artist, but those talents are better served by applying them in a productive manner, not a distracting manner.

On the one occasion where the second warning failed, I simply asked the student to leave the floor, and not come back until he decided that he was not the instructor in charge, and to respect everyone's right to train in an undistracted manner.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I was young, a student was pestering me and I hit him to get him away from me. He went crying to a junior instructor about it and the guy came up and drilled me without getting my side of the story. I said nothing to anyone about it until just now. Thanks; now I'm pissed off about it again.:mad:
Sean

Seeking Zen

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have yet to see such a scenario in my dojo. No one would consider it. Our Sensei makes it very clear when you join "if your not here to train...go home"

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I used to make the student do push ups. Now in the mid 80s I had to youth. Brothers about 10 and 12. They would go up bhind other students kick them in the rear. I made them do push ups They brought there parents to the next class. Then when class started They said there parents were watching and they would nort have to do pushups. I told them if they gor out of line they would. Shortly they were up to the same thing acting up. I stopped class made them do pushups. There parents said nothing at all. They never returned after that. Then while teaching at a ymca. I had that very often. Had to finaly tell the students I volenterred my time I did not have to teach them And if they wanted to learn Then they had to come to class to learn not to play. Next class a few were gone the rest learned. the instructor should in any case should the instructor not notice horse play Have it brought to his or hers attention befor it gets out of hand. And they instructor should be the one to handle this. students should not have to handle it or put up with it. Now days all the students know they can not horse play around or they have to do pushups or leave class. Works if they want to learn.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Haven't seen it in my school. Then again, I don't know if what's clipped to my classmates' pants are live blades or trainers. I don't wish to find out the hard way :D :D

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Had one guy years ago that would always whisper while the instructor was talking. Finally looked at him and said loud enough that those around us could hear "Just shut the F up." Then he would act up during the training and toss in a bit "extra". One technique was against a lapel grab, as the attacker you grabbed the front of the Gi and jerked the person toward you, then they did the technique. I rolled my knuckles around, gave a real hard, quick jerk and then drove them back into his chest, seems he gave up the "extras" when we trained from then on. (At 6'2", 225# and I pull wire all day, those knuckles left a mark!)

Probably wouldn't do that again, but it sure felt good at the time.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I had a student once who was a 19 year old self proclaimed "freedom fighter". The kid had issues and I questioned the decision to let him study at the school. He used to blow up and swear in class and stomp out whenever he felt his rights, especially his freedom of speech, were being violated. One such occasion was when he was told that he couldn't wear his bright red tennis shoes on the mat. It's canvas and many shoes can leave marks. He exploded and stormed out. He also showed up occasionally under the influence of something or other.

I was teaching a class one day, that had little kids and adults in it, when this young man proceeded to grab me by the throat with both hands and asked me "what would you do if I did this?". My first thought was "tell me he didn't just grab me by the throat". I looked at him calmly, noting the looks of shock from the other students out of the corner of my eye. I said, "I would probably do this" and executed two upward blocks that knocked his arms above his head. I then pointed to his open core and said "at this point, I would take you apart". He had a look of shock on his face and all he said was "oh". I never raised my voice and I never got angry. The rest of the class went back to what they were doing.

He made it a whole month before he was terminated as a student. The termination was done by our GM and school Master in such a way, that he said "thank you" and shook their hands before he left.

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, I'm with those here who say that they have not encountered this. As a student, my instructor was unbelievable as far as instilling discipline. Classes were well supervised, and every student, from the youngest 5 year olds to those in their sixties, knew what was expected of them. He didn't need to raise his voice, or go on and on about any misbehavior if a student happened to "slipped up." One stone-cold glance, and in a stern voice, "You'd better shape up and quit your horsing around in here," is all it took.

When I was a young, assistant instructor, he would have me sit the class down on occasion, and lecture them about the seriousness of training, why students are expect to act right, and that absolutely no horse-play was allowed. Beginner students were always given this warning, and an occasional lecture to remind all students usually headed off any problem behavior. We used push-ups for minor infractions, but it never got to the point that we had persistent problems with any students.

Many of the Korean's I have worked with would very forcefully address any individual, or the entire class if there was goofing off. They would state it, in no uncertain terms, you are either there to train in Taekwondo, or GET OUT! They would say that Taekwondo is not a joke, and not hobby. You follow the rules and focus on serious training or don't waste their time. If you don't like it - - there's the door! Of course, proper behavior, discipline, and respect is required; leaving is your option, therefore if you choose to leave, you still owe for the remainder of your contract (tends to straighten attitudes out a bit). No one ever storms out, and is re-admitted to the next day's class.

As an instructor and school owner, I simply do not allow horse-play, disrespect, or bad attitudes, and my students know it. 99% of my students have enough respect for me not to misbehave (in class or out). The remaining 1% had better fear me enough not to. :mst:

CM D.J. Eisenhart :)

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I’m sure everyone that has ever been a student has experienced this, the person that always feels the need to joke around in class. Kicking at your face to show off, doing things to distract you while you are working on forms before class. Or even going as far as talking to you while the instructor is talking to the class

Have any stories you would be willing to share?

in my class we're pretty good about people like that. they tend to be little kids who don't really want to be there in the first place. our school is people who want to be there. but i image that push ups would be the punishment.

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
My dojo is very small. Usually there is only me, senpai and another guy. Sometimes 4 or 5 guys show up, but they don't have a continuos attendency. Anyway with none of them so far happened anything like the topic talks about.

Unfortunately too many people take Martial Art as a fun or a game. Nothing wrong with it as long as this won't make you forget what Martial Arts really are. They were "built" to protect yourself and they offer opportunity of maming or killing and opponent. You should go in a dojo with that well present in your mind...and maybe an instructor should remind that to his/her students often, even tho there shouldn't be the need.