Hook punch

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Is your hook punch with a vertical or horizontal fist?
Do you strike with the first 2 knuckles or the last 3 knuckles?

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes.
Generally the first two.

Under which situations or applications do you find each (vertical and horizontal) to be advantageous over the other?

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is your hook punch with a vertical or horizontal fist?
Do you strike with the first 2 knuckles or the last 3 knuckles?
In between. On a 45.

Bottom 3 is most comfortable for me 'cuz I'm a WC guy, but top two are most popular with pure boxers

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vertical, first 2 knuckles. Jaw hinge just below cheek bone.

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I use top two knuckles with the vertical hook and then I use the corner of the pointer finger knuckle or radial bone of the arm with the horizontal style hook but that's because Choy Li Fut has a unique arcing hook.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Christopher Adamchek

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I don't hit with my fist. I hit with the inside forearm. My hook punch is always 45 degree downward.

so you dont do hooks
I love forearm strikes, the inside one the arm is close to straight
and your "hook punch" is typical considered an overhand punch rather than a hook
but i like both techniques

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
That sounds like grabbing an over hook? Different sort of hook.
I think Wang is pretty much describing what I mentioned in my comment. Your pretty much striking the neck of the opponent with your forearm. He probably uses it in his shuai Jiao to off balance and throw as well.

D

Deleted member 39746

Why i do i feel like this is in relation to myself in some fashion? :p

Also i try to slap instead of hook punch. or at least i get behind open hand for that more*, due to you being able to thumb gouge the eye, burst the ear drum and reduce risk of wrist or hand damage.

Just seems like the open hand opens up more variety in what you can do if you wish to do more damage or less damage to someone, and then may reduce chance of injury to yourself.

*cant i say i really do it, i tend to fight with a rough and tumble way which is anything goes and i am naturally inclined to punch someone. But i very much support the notion of open hand for it and the people who explain why its good i agree with. (in part at least)

Edit: In terms of the rare occusaion i have hook punched, i recall vertical, not the way i aim though. (to be expected after i have just answered why i have a destain for doing it and i haven't done anything in learning how to hook correctly) At least when done in its purest form and not a Haymaker, which is my natural punch if im not in a thinking fight, which is kind of a hook. Also i mean the untrained haymaker usage of the word not any form of "technical" haymaker.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think Wang is pretty much describing what I mentioned in my comment. Your pretty much striking the neck of the opponent with your forearm. He probably uses it in his shuai Jiao to off balance and throw as well.
You can use your forearm to hit on the back of your opponent's head to obtain a head lock. When you get that head lock, you have knocked your opponent almost half way out.

At 0.09 - 0.16.

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
You can use your forearm to hit on the back of your opponent's head to obtain a head lock. When you get that head lock, you have knocked your opponent almost half way out.

At 0.09 - 0.16.

Very similar to what I do but I was trained neck or back of the head with the arm or temple, jaw lower ribs or spine if your using just the one index finger knuckle on the fist

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thumb to the sky. Arm at a 90 degree angle and elbow to the front.

More strength less shock absorbed.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hook is my favorite punch. I like my fist on the 45, but sometimes I go horizontal or vertical. In my opinion one should NEVER punch with the last three knuckles, especially barehanded. You might get away with it wrapped and gloved, but heads are harder than hands.

I like throwing the elbow as well, but the question was about hooks. Man, do I love me some hook punches.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Broke my hand twice (boxer's fractures) punching horizontally and because I am not totally stupid I now punch with a vertical fist using the first two knuckles.

Latest Discussions