Homemade lightsaber duel

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
Finally got around to uploading a couple homemade "special effects" clips on YouTube. One is an unchoreographed lightsaber duel between a friend and I, filmed four years ago. It was meant to be a "test" for a short fan film I wrote, which was scrapped. I rotoscoped the lightsaber blades with Adobe Photoshop, and added the sound effects on Adobe Premiere. Rotoscoping isn't that difficult, but it is VERY tedious, since I had to draw on EVERY single frame twice, since there were two blades.

The other clip is a little experiment with Force lightning, and my first attempt at using Adobe After Effects.

Incidentally, this was how I got into videography. I wanted to make my own lightsaber clips. Yes, I really am a Star Wars geek... :jedi1:

Mcura

Green Belt
Reaction score
Now that's inspiring.

And what's wrong with fandom propelling an interest in a career? I'd wager most of the employees of Industrial Light and Magic followed that exact path.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's awesome Jennifer. I admire those who know how to use programs like that. Very cool. Videography...Pursue your dreams! :D

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey Jen! That was cool! The music was all so serious and then at one point you have a great big smile on your face! :D

Loved the visual effects and sound. Good Job!

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am giving you mad cool points. God, I remember Star Wars at a drive in.

That trilogy is so impactful on our generation.

OP
S

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks, guys and gals. :) I was considering trying to go freelance with videography at one point, since I shot/edited several weddings in my old church. I don't have the most sophisticated equipment in the world (just a couple four-year-old low-end digital camcorders), but I think I do reasonably good work.

The tricky thing is that Philly is swamped with all kinds of artsy people. One of my Yagyu sempai does videography as one of his jobs - and he said that it is challenging finding work. The other thing is that much of the work is available on Saturdays, and that is the day we train. So he often misses training sessions, because of work.

And if I ever go free lance for real, I would have to upgrade my equipment. The Adobe software I use probably costs more than my camcorders. ;)

In the meantime, I've been wanting to do another lightsaber duel - this time with someone who has a *little* bit of MA experience. The guy who I dueled in the clip never took any martial arts, and I coached him a little on basic swordplay and stage combat - at least the little I knew at the time.

I would also have to get another lightsaber, since I sold both of the Lightech sabers, and I'm down to one left...

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jennifer, that was cool! I loved the effects - and I have no idea how to even start doing something like that. Whether you ever make money with it or not, it looks like a lot of fun, creating something like that.

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dude, I think everything is missing something here.

At some point in time, Jennifer was OUTSIDE, in PUBLIC, having a mad sword fight with some guy.

I WISH I could see the reaction of bystanders.

That was pretty sweet Jen.

OP
S

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks, Sam. :) I don't know if there were any bystanders, and if there were, I wasn't paying attention. I was about 10pm when we filmed the duel. We were in a school parking lot, facing a not-too-trafficked side street.

steevesmith5

White Belt
Reaction score
Well done. love the saber effects. I have the dueling lightsaber

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Don't know if the OP is still making videos like this, but it's pretty cool to see how far these have come in 20 years. Cameras and SFX available to folks now is just crazy good.

This was the winner of like three or four categories in last year's Saber Comp contest. (SaberComp2023)

This one won best choreography, though. Pretty awesome:

Latest Discussions