Home invader fled with serious injuries after breaking into home of 83-year-old black belt

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good for them!!! However, I have a feeling they might get jammed up, due to the comments the police were making. Hopefully it won't happen, but you never know.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good for them!!! However, I have a feeling they might get jammed up, due to the comments the police were making. Hopefully it won't happen, but you never know.

I also had that feeling. With it being Australia and all, I was thinking the police would interview the bad guy when they catch him and ask him if he felt his dignity was damaged in any way; if so, the usual course of action is to arrest and punish the victim, as I understand it. Gotta love that odd sense of justice they have.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"People have a right to take action to defend their own person, to defend their dwelling and to defend other people. The force that they use must be reasonable and must fit the circumstances, it must be considered in relation to the threat that they're facing," Det Insp Hitch said.

Uh huh. And he is supposed to wait until attacked to discern how serious the threat is? Eff that. He and wife are senior citizens clearly underestimated. One would think seeing someone with a knife SHOULD thwart a reasonable attacker. The knife did not intimidate this guy enough to leave, hence ... I would argue it was an appropriate use of force.

*sigh*

I hope they don't come up on charges.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The disparity in physicallity seems pretty obvious. So obvious I wouldn't have had a problem if they slashed the intruder open with a sword, even. I don't see the need to reveal they were aikidoka, that's just going to bite them in the *** with questions like "If you are so advanced couldn't you have stopped him without hurting him?"

They shouldn't have pursued the guy, but hopefully things will go well for them. And if this guy bleeds out in a gutter somewhere, I wouldn't shed a tear.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Actually, both husband and wife are black-belt Aikidoka. And strangely, the bad guy was repelled with a knife, not a martial arts move.

http://www.news.com.au/news/home-in...re-home-invasion/story-fncvfxcm-1226504363640

However, a win is a win.

But didn't your read the story? The victim wanted to scare him off, but the intruder tried to rush past and ran onto the blade. Can't blame the homeowner for the intruder's lack of balance can you?
wink.gif

I don't know the laws in Australia, but I too hope they aren't in trouble for all the reasons stated above. And I hope it doesn't turn into a lengthy debate there on how they should have reacted, by people who probably haven't been in a life or death situation, and know nothing about martial arts and how martial artists may react.

Latest Discussions