Reaction score
I am interested in how familiar people are with this style of ju-jutsu from Finland? And what you think of it. It is practiced in Finland, Estonia, Norway, Russia, USA, Iran etc.

Here are some sample videos of the style:

On the second video there is a guy jumping and performing with a stick but that was only a show and has nothing to do with this style.

Hokutoryu also includes full contact competition. "Hokutoryu competition is a full contact fight. All tecniques from standing positions to ground tecniques are allowed. Only punches to the head are not allowed (because there are no gloves)." (Hokutoryu.com)

dunc

Black Belt
Reaction score
What I like about the Gracie's approach to naming conventions is that they refer to their style as Gracie Jiu Jitsu because they learnt Jiu Jitsu (as it was called then) from a Japanese dude and made it their own
Hence making a clear distinction from the older schools in Japan

What I struggle with with Hokutoryu (and many of these western styles of jujutsu) is that they don't have a clear connection back to Japan, yet they choose to market themselves using Japanese names and suggesting that they are studying jujutsu developed by the samurai warriors. It looks to me that they are training a mash up of karate and judo (+ the odd wrist lock for good measure) which is fine, but I think it's a little disingenuous to suggest that what they are studying resembles the jujutsu of the samurai

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It looks interesting and effective. It seems to depend upon a limited set of techniques (at least in the videos shown) and good physical conditioning and range of motion. Lots of kicking and throwing.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I've done a seminar or two when their guys come over for a big annual martial arts convention in Ottawa.

John dye

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
What I like about the Gracie's approach to naming conventions is that they refer to their style as Gracie Jiu Jitsu because they learnt Jiu Jitsu (as it was called then) from a Japanese dude and made it their own
Hence making a clear distinction from the older schools in Japan

What I struggle with with Hokutoryu (and many of these western styles of jujutsu) is that they don't have a clear connection back to Japan, yet they choose to market themselves using Japanese names and suggesting that they are studying jujutsu developed by the samurai warriors. It looks to me that they are training a mash up of karate and judo (+ the odd wrist lock for good measure) which is fine, but I think it's a little disingenuous to suggest that what they are studying resembles the jujutsu of the samurai
Most jujitsu is just that. Kano was the one who called all the masters together and formed judo and all traditional arts are a mix. Some people specialize thus different styles - you are correct another style is just that danzan ryu as american as wonder bread. And with same race based discrimantory teachings. Weird.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Most jujitsu is just that. Kano was the one who called all the masters together and formed judo and all traditional arts are a mix. Some people specialize thus different styles - you are correct another style is just that danzan ryu as american as wonder bread. And with same race based discrimantory teachings. Weird.
I don't think you quite get how ryu-ha operate...

John dye

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I don't think you quite get how ryu-ha operate...
I know they do. I am former kyu. From danzan studied hakko ryu which is original system your video took its name. Fact jujitsu does not have the same effectiveness as its judo. Is proof. In itself
Ufc upset the apple cart. Learn adapt. Keep open mind failure of american dojo and belts b4. Technique. Martial arts is not flowers and embroidery as practiced today ineffective if not fake

dunc

Black Belt
Reaction score
I know they do. I am former kyu. From danzan studied hakko ryu which is original system your video took its name. Fact jujitsu does not have the same effectiveness as its judo. Is proof. In itself
Ufc upset the apple cart. Learn adapt. Keep open mind failure of american dojo and belts b4. Technique. Martial arts is not flowers and embroidery as practiced today ineffective if not fake
Hi
I’m sorry but I’m struggling to understand the points you’re making
I was trying to explain that personally I don’t like it when folk use “branding” for their style that suggests they have a connection to the older (pre-judo) Japanese styles when what they are doing is a mash up of more modern stuff
I think you’re questioning the efficacy of the older styles of JJJ vs Judo. Personally I think that Judo is excellent for its intended purpose as is BJJ as are the old schools of JJJ
I feel the modern “mash up” styles who typically market themselves as Japanese Jujutsu are a poor attempt at recreating a very efficient wheel that has existed for a very long time

John dye

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Lol i dont think you have ever really studied. Thats almost all the posts i see its like paper tigers. Oyata ryukyu kempo and kyokushin is as real as it gets i found both ineffective in real combat

Latest Discussions