Hmm.... Its basically the same thing

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I have been trying to figure out how to fit into my day everything I want to train and meditate too.... and then it hit me...other than the posture, there is no real difference between sitting in mediation or standing in Wuji, or for that matter Santi Shi, or Zhan Zhuang as far as it effects on the brain.

And since sitting meditation is a problem for me these days due to a hip issue and wuji is not I think I will go with wuji.

Nothing much else to say, just thought I would post that

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Lying down. Would that also be no tangible difference, like with breathing?

I feel it is also pretty much the same, and from what I have been reading of late it is a form of meditation. However I do not think I could do it, I would likely fall asleep

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
i had this same realization years ago while at the temple. we had an overnight sitting schedule and in order not to fall asleep in the down time i would go and do karate kata. i asked the Zen Roshi and he confirmed as long as the mind goes to the same place there is so difference. so yeah i know exactly what your saying. but then i come from the lineage of Omori Sogen who was a Zen priest, swordman and calligrapher. his teachings were based on Ken, Zen, Sho. martial art, fine art and meditation. all the same.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel it is also pretty much the same, and from what I have been reading of late it is a form of meditation. However I do not think I could do it, I would likely fall asleep

I would imagine I too, although not when I would actually mean to do so no doubt. I have taken to burning insense sticks recently and may try some Yoga. They might aid an attempt at some proper empty the mind stuff. Not what I could do would be classed as proper meditation. My mind is way too noisy.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i had this same realization years ago while at the temple. we had an overnight sitting schedule and in order not to fall asleep in the down time i would go and do karate kata. i asked the Zen Roshi and he confirmed as long as the mind goes to the same place there is so difference. so yeah i know exactly what your saying. but then i come from the lineage of Omori Sogen who was a Zen priest, swordman and calligrapher. his teachings were based on Ken, Zen, Sho. martial art, fine art and meditation. all the same.

Is that thoretically not the same technically, but in reality the same applied science of the mind. Meditation is what it is, don't matter how one person does it?

Elbowgrease

Green Belt
Reaction score
Someone used to say to me, sitting meditation is great, but eventually you have to get up and move. I've been doing a lot of "just standing" lately myself.