History queation

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've been practicing a dao form for a while, lian Huan dao or maybe it was lian Huang? I don't know how to spell it but I'm almost sure there is no g in the name, but my instructor said he was a famous person to look more into it. I looked it up on Google but lots of people listed... So I decided to come here cause I'm sure somebody knows more about him. I wrote the post here cause I think he said in China so I wrote it here

OP
donald1

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
One last question, is this an appropriate place for this question?

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Who's "him"? Lian Huan (Lin Waan) means generally "Continuous" or "Connected" or something similar.

What are you getting this set in?

Badger1777

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have a few Chinese and Taiwanese friends. They tell me that often there is little point worrying about English spellings of Chinese words and names, because there isn't really one. For example, you mention its a 'doa' form. My Taiwanese mate says that 'dao' sort of (but not exactly) means 'way' in English, but is spelled with a symbol depending on the region you're in. The sound of the word roughly fits in with the English alphabet, but again not exactly, so it can be spelled as 'dao', 'tao', 'do' and 'doo' to name just a few.

OP
donald1

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know the part spelled dao is correct but I meant the name lian Huan, I know he said a famous person and when it was written on his phone it was written either "lian Huan" or lein Huan

By what clfsean has said that might not be his name but the just the form he made but the way my instructor phrased it it sounded like he said that was his name. I'll ask more of the subject to my instructor

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know the part spelled dao is correct but I meant the name lian Huan, I know he said a famous person and when it was written on his phone it was written either "lian Huan" or lein Huan

By what clfsean has said that might not be his name but the just the form he made but the way my instructor phrased it it sounded like he said that was his name. I'll ask more of the subject to my instructor

I should've phrased it better. What style are you learning this under? Lian Huan Dao (Lin Waan Do) would just mean Continuous or Connected Knife. Probably not a lot of paused or singular activity with it, but something I'd guess that's almost singular in nature once you got it moving. It could be something new or something older. Doesn't matter that, but it does matter the sense it makes based on generally accepted dao/do practice & work.

If you could get more info that'd be of a help certainly, but start with what are you doing to learn this.

Thanks!

OP
donald1

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I should've phrased it better. What style are you learning this under? Lian Huan Dao (Lin Waan Do) would just mean Continuous or Connected Knife. Probably not a lot of paused or singular activity with it, but something I'd guess that's almost singular in nature once you got it moving. It could be something new or something older. Doesn't matter that, but it does matter the sense it makes based on generally accepted dao/do practice & work.

If you could get more info that'd be of a help certainly, but start with what are you doing to learn this.

Thanks!

I have no idea what either of those are but I'm curious ill ask my instructor the next time I seen him, thanks

OP
donald1

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Either interlocking or linking

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah those are working transliterations for Lian Huan.

More direct ... what are you studying? There are a lot of basic sets (empty hand and weapon) that are "common" in China. I saw at a tournament I was at this year no less than 5 different versions of a broadsword set that my school teaches as well. Each version was correct within the framework of the style taught at the school. Yet each version was separate and distinct. But it was the same.

Then we'll go from there.

OP
donald1

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Would it help if I posted a video of the form?

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Would it help if I posted a video of the form?

It would but it would also help if you would let us know (I've asked a couple of times) what style it is you're studying. That right there will answer a lot of questions about sets & history.

OP
donald1

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's not my main style I have no idea (i need to ask my instructor or one of the Kung fu sifus he knows)

I'll do both ask him and post a video

OP
donald1

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
xing I hsing I

I don't know if he meant xing yi or not but this is what was wrote

[video=youtube_share;NNz2ly_C3Ks]http://youtu.be/NNz2ly_C3Ks[/video]

In some ways I wish I wore a gi in the video... Would have looked a lot better or at least the gi pants and a T-shirt

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok ... Xingyi Lian Huan Dao ...

Here's a version of it from China

[video=youtube_share;OJHWSv87hv4]http://youtu.be/OJHWSv87hv4[/video]

And no ... you shouldn't have worn your gi. You're fine as you are.

As to the history of it... it's Xingyi Quan. I couldn't tell you, except that most Xingyi folks won't really care. It's Xingyi. It works. Most likely, people ended up on the wrong end of the blade & more lived to tell the tale & develop the training for the weapon. It's all good.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
History of Xingyiquan Lian Huan Dao is it was used for fighting and rather effective that is all you really need to know.....

Xingyiquan history I find interesting but the history of individual Xingyiquan weapons forms, there are so damn many weapons in Xingyiquan history it is hard to know why they are all there or how they got there.

And as Clfsean said, no Gi needed.... or wanted for that matter.

OP
donald1

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just to clarify, lian Huan isn't a persons name?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Just to clarify, lian Huan isn't a persons name?

Could be someone in China sporting a name that sounds like it, but not a family name. However in this context...no. You really need the Chinese Characters if you truly want to research something by a persons name.

Xingyiquan, as far as historically verifiable information goes comes from Dai family xinyiquan (not xingyiquan) and throughout xingyiquan history there have been multiple weapons used so tracking the origin of one down can be rather difficult and ultimately rather pointless, if it worked well it was kept, if it didn't it was thrown out. Xingyiquan is for fighting, not a whole lot of extras and not a lot of flash and has been used by the Chinese military in the past.

But as far as I know there was no one named Lianhuan.

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok ... Xingyi Lian Huan Dao ...

Here's a version of it from China

[video=youtube_share;OJHWSv87hv4]http://youtu.be/OJHWSv87hv4[/video]

And no ... you shouldn't have worn your gi. You're fine as you are.

As to the history of it... it's Xingyi Quan. I couldn't tell you, except that most Xingyi folks won't really care. It's Xingyi. It works. Most likely, people ended up on the wrong end of the blade & more lived to tell the tale & develop the training for the weapon. It's all good.

Can I ask a really dumb question?

Why, when I see Chinese sword forms, are the swords often so thin and flimsy, and sound as if they're made of aluminium?

Does this have to do with weapon laws in China, or...?

OP
donald1

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
The funny thing is I'm almost certain it is aluminum
They do make Chinese broadswords out of it at least i think

I could make some guesses why but ill wait to see if someone else posts, they may know more

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Can I ask a really dumb question?

Why, when I see Chinese sword forms, are the swords often so thin and flimsy, and sound as if they're made of aluminium?

Does this have to do with weapon laws in China, or...?

Could be the laws but I can tell you those are cheaper. I don't use one of those, I use a heavy steel Dao, it is currently not sharp, but it could be if I decided to sharpen it. I can tell you dull it just missed a water pipe in my old house and cut the brass bracket next to it... had to replace the bracket, which was MUCH better than replacing the water pipe and cleaning my flooded basement would have been:D