"History of Taekwon-Do: Setting the Record Straight"

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Blah blah blah, seriously in the last ten years so many have written what they believe to be true. Sit at any korean table and listen there story is different than the next table. In tkd you really can't tell fact from fiction. Train train and train and pass a long what your Master tell you.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Blah blah blah, seriously in the last ten years so many have written what they believe to be true. Sit at any korean table and listen there story is different than the next table. In tkd you really can't tell fact from fiction. Train train and train and pass a long what your Master tell you.

Not so much my experience. I see more similarities than differences especialy when "A Killing art came out. " Of course there are some who tend to leave stuff out, and those who sunscribed to the 2000 tyear old thing.

Was invited to a demo at a school once and among the honored guests was Nam Tae Hi. At one point they stopped the demo and someone gave a brief history of TKD starting with the naming in 1954-55 (I forget which year they used) and then jumping to 1973 with the formation of the WTF and I am thinking they kind of lost 18 years there.

There is a little more to the story than this (not rlevant here.) but after the demo I asked the guy giving the history if he had any idea what Nam Tae Hi's history or role in TKD was. He didn't. I then told him to get a picture with Nam because he was the real deal.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

This simply is not true. While it may be difficult to separate fact from fiction, it is possible in most cases. In those cases where you cannot be sure, then it's wrong to pass the information on as fact. History falls (mostly) into three categories.
Things we can be pretty sure are true: e.g. when did the unification movement begin.
Things we can be pretty sure are not true: e.g. TKD is derived from 2000 year old Korean arts like Taekyyon and Soobahk.
Things we can neither confirm nor deny: e.g. GM Hwang left the unification because he was upset by not being chosen president.